PDA

View Full Version : Worth getting AppleCare for iphone4?

xtreme2k
3rd August 2010, 08:30 PM
Just quick question. Applecare for iphone is $99. Which isn't that bad. As a battery change is already $109. I am quite sure in 2 years time your battery will be fairly dead anyway after intensive use.

What are your thoughts?

macboyy
3rd August 2010, 08:35 PM
i didn't think the battery was coverd under warenty???

alextrob
3rd August 2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah I think AppleCare is worth it for all Apple stuff. Don't pay retail though - get it from a reputable seller on eBay for about $50. They'll generally email the code to you straight away.

xtreme2k
3rd August 2010, 08:37 PM
Default warranty does not cover battery.

Therefore the replacement cost for battery change is $109. If the phone is considered damaged then it would be $229/249(i forgot how much exactly)

Applecare covers battery replacement if the phone is deemed not in damaged conditions.

Correction: I think if your battery is pretty run down within the warranty perioid (first year without apple care) then apple does cover the battery.

NORMANDY
3rd August 2010, 08:40 PM
I found the battery is covered for the first 12 months under the Apple Warranty, as I had my 3G replaced because the battery wasn't holding a charge. I had apple care and the second year the same thing happened, so they replaced it again.

bennyling
3rd August 2010, 08:41 PM
Get it.

Don't even think about it, just get it.

Huy
3rd August 2010, 08:43 PM
Get it.

Don't even think about it, just get it.

+1.

Also adds to resale value should you decide to sell it within the 2nd year.

karter
3rd August 2010, 08:43 PM
Might be a stupid question, but what's the benefits?

Huy
3rd August 2010, 08:44 PM
Might be a stupid question, but what's the benefits?

I'll let Apple tell you:
Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPhone (http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html)

It's warranty.

alextrob
3rd August 2010, 08:45 PM
Correction: I think if your battery is pretty run down within the warranty perioid (first year without apple care) then apple does cover the battery.

I think that's right too. I've been next to someone at the Genius Bar who went in for something unrelated and the Genius plugged it in to a MacBook that told him the battery wasn't holding its charge very well, so they replaced it.

xtreme2k
3rd August 2010, 08:51 PM
Should I be worried if I get AC through ebay?

I will see if I can negotiate at JBhifi

karter
3rd August 2010, 08:54 PM
so does it extend your normal iPhone warranty from 1 to 2 years? and extend 90days tech support 2 years? Apples, site doesnt explain it all that well..But I do remember the Apple tech guy telling me it waves the advance replacement fee of $39.
Can get it from eBay AU for $55 is this good, or can you get it cheaper?

:D thanks

Huy
3rd August 2010, 09:12 PM
Not going to be able to negotiate at JB HiFi compared to something sold on eBay. :rolleyes:

Warranty period is extended from 12 months limited to 24 months. Phone support is extended too.

karter
3rd August 2010, 09:19 PM
alrity sounds gooood.
Is the extra 1yr warranty the same as the included warranty? as in, do they both cover the same things?

Also, the $55 apple care off ebay is from Spain, will it be valid for an iPhone 4 in AU??

thanks

Huy
3rd August 2010, 09:21 PM
Is the extra 1yr warranty the same as the included warranty? as in, do they both cover the same things?

Yes. Same cover. Just extended.

ThexMac
3rd August 2010, 09:41 PM
Buy on ebay from seller whom has a good history... and always ask for package to be sent... it's cheaper than retail.

karter
3rd August 2010, 09:50 PM
Buy on ebay from seller whom has a good history... and always ask for package to be sent... it's cheaper than retail.

why not just the number, should be ok shouldnt it?
plus they dont offer shipping and they are in spain..
they have sold a fair few however.

ThexMac
3rd August 2010, 10:21 PM
why not just the number, should be ok shouldnt it?
plus they dont offer shipping and they are in spain..
they have sold a fair few however.

Number could be duplicate or from a number generator since the algorithm is in the wild and Apple may void it. So the purchase would be a waste.
The sealed box means the seller has to make effort and it's more likely to be valid. Guy in my office did have this happen twice... since then we've only bought original boxed mobileme..

iko
3rd August 2010, 10:25 PM
About the cheap Spanish AppleCare...

Almost 4 years ago Apple offered me a European Apple Care for my Macbook (I was in Spain), as the name says only for countries in Europe. It was much cheaper than the worlwide Apple Care.

The code was something like EMEAXXXX... (EMEA= Europe - Middle East - Africa).

Not sure if this applies to these eBay AppleCare´s from Spain but just in case I let you know.

Edit: I found it on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Applecare-Iphone-4-and-3GS-apple-care-protection-plan-/290459647828?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item43a0be7f54#ht_500wt_1154), it clearly says -This AppleCare product is an international warranty, which means that it can used all around the world whether you are in North American, Europe, or Asia-

twombles_62
3rd August 2010, 10:41 PM
Legally your iPhone is covered for two years if it's bought after some date in 2010, can't remember whether it was January or July.

Blaqjaq
3rd August 2010, 10:50 PM
Legally your iPhone is covered for two years if it's bought after some date in 2010, can't remember whether it was January or July.

Source?

karter
4th August 2010, 07:47 AM

please explain? thanks

babypoppop
4th August 2010, 08:16 AM

No, it doesn't apply for the iPhone 4, unfortunately.

Apple clearly states that the warranty is only for one year if you purchase it outright.

If you got a subsidised phone from the telco, it is only valid for one year as well. The telcos made this explicitly clear this time, and the act of signing the contract means you agree to that. This is justified through heavy subsidy of the iPhone 4 this time round, and you may extend your warranty to 2 years from date of purchase through paying a one-time fee (e.g. $89.90 for Telstra) or buying AppleCare from Apple.

I think it's fair if the telcos made it clear and you've signed to a contract that says so. If your contract is ambiguous on this matter, seek clarification prior to signing it. If it doesn't mention at all, you may have a case to argue with the telco. Otherwise, if it's clearly stated as 1-year warranty, then you've lost your case because you've agreed to it when you signed it.

In sum, we should learn to read the contract and not rush into signing it off. It is tedious, but telcos are known to be mischievous.

cowzy
4th August 2010, 12:31 PM
stupid question, but can I get applecare for my iPhone 4 now, as in after initial purchase?

Huy
4th August 2010, 12:36 PM
stupid question, but can I get applecare for my iPhone 4 now, as in after initial purchase?

Yes but you have anytime in the first 12 months to purchase it so you can hold off.

It doesn't make a difference buying it now because you won't see any benefit (12 months is free anyway). Buy it later and save your money. Just remind yourself to buy it before it expires (and register/apply it once you've got it).

babypoppop
4th August 2010, 12:36 PM

Yes, at any time before the expiry of your initial 1-year warranty.

You cannot get AppleCare after the 1-year warranty has expired.

cowzy
4th August 2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be leaving it a while then.

karter
10th August 2010, 06:21 PM
I know I have already mentioned it, but am extremely considering it, will the Apple Care off eBay be alrite? Remember the seller is in Spain, but has 100% positive feedback, and has sold a few. Description states its a WORLD WIDE product

Thoughts?

wolfie
10th August 2010, 06:40 PM
im still struggling to see the benefits.
the likehood of the phone failing without any user enforced damage is minimal.
i read the link, and quite frankly it all looks like it covers a few things, but u narrow down to what it really does do, and remove crap like genius support and phone support, ios support and its prety much empyty.

iJohn
10th August 2010, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't trust the ebay spain seller. Try stick to the usa/english sellers

twombles_62
10th August 2010, 07:21 PM
I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, because I don't really want to research into the details.

Under the Fair Trading Act 1999 you have an implied warranty for the expected length of a product's usage. I believe the ACCC have/are reviewing the implied length for a mobile phone to be two years when signing a two year contract. Apple or and Telcos have no power to limit your rights by law, however the TIO might not be 100% helpful.

Don't rely on this post though, someone else might know the specifics better or have some experience with it.

torana355
10th August 2010, 08:20 PM
Can you buy Apple care for the iphone 4 at any time in the initial first year of warranty or is there a certain timeframe?

EDIT: Don't worry my question has already been answered.

iJohn
10th August 2010, 08:47 PM
Yes u can!! Buy it within the first 12month period , once 12 months is up your phone is no longer under warranty unless you buy a apple care agreement

simonm
10th August 2010, 09:57 PM
Because it's a new model of phone that has only recently been unleashed onto the public, no one really knows if there are any congenital floors that may appear after a certain period of time, like just after the 1-year statutory warranty has expired! For example, the iPhone 3G silent switch was very prone to breaking off! It is a known floor with that model. When this happened, Apple offered to sell me a replacement refurbished handset for $250, whereas if id had the AppleCare it would have been free.

So you could weigh up the $99 charge against the chance it will possibly fail from 12-24 months in age. It's probably not as strong a "must have" as AppleCare for a Mac, but I'll probably still get it.

It would of course be nice if ACCC forced manufacturers to supply 2-year warranties, but sadly that seems unlikely.

NORMANDY
11th August 2010, 10:27 PM
The ACCC has said if your phone is under contract for 24 months, then the Telco has to provide you with Warranty for that period (see the ruling on their web site), so if you have a two year contract with Telstra, Telstra provides the warranty for the product for the contract period.

bennyling
11th August 2010, 10:32 PM
The ACCC has said if your phone is under contract for 24 months, then the Telco has to provide you with Warranty for that period (see the ruling on their web site), so if you have a two year contract with Telstra, Telstra provides the warranty for the product for the contract period.

That's not saying the amount of time you'll have to spend fighting for that warranty, though :p

jok3r
11th August 2010, 11:33 PM
Just be wary when buying AppleCare on eBay.

There have bee a large amount of people buying it off ebay only to find out a few weeks/months later they are not covered.

So in trying to save 40-50% you may end up losing the entire amount, and including your phone not being protected under warranty when you thought it was.

karter
25th October 2010, 09:07 AM
Anyone know where to get apple care for iPhone 4? Got the last one off eBay for $55 was great but no longer on there..anyone know any trusted websites to get them from??
Would really appreciate
Thanks

jonhas
25th October 2010, 11:11 AM
Do it.

That way when you go to sell it just before the iPhone 5 comes out it will still have heaps of warranty making it more valuable.

Also the home button on my 3G went funny after about 20 months... Went to apple store and apparently the inside connection had gone all brittle so I walked out with a replacement phone.

karter
28th October 2010, 08:30 AM
BUMP..
anyone know where to get heap apple care for iPhone ?