PDA

View Full Version : Possibly a stupid question but .... How do you know if your phone is locked?

Carmen
3rd August 2010, 04:17 PM
Ok so I'm wanting to get my hot little hands on the iP4 but need to sell my current 3GS to pay for breaking my contract.

So my stupid question is how do I know my phone isn't locked? I'm on a Optus contract 12 months in.
Also the current iphone I have is a refurbished/replacement one from an apple store, do I need to disclose this if I sell it on eBay?

And lastly out of curiosity how much do you think I could expect to get for it? Yes I've looked on eBay myself but they're all over the place! I have the original box and headset all still in the plastic (basically all I did was take out the phone and put the rest inthe cupboard)
Thanks

Huy
3rd August 2010, 04:18 PM
Insert another SIM and see what happens. If you are on contract and got it through Optus, it would be Optus-locked. You can request an unlock with them.

If Apple issued you with a replacement, it will be SIM-locked to the same carrier as the damaged/broken iPhone it is replacing.

When you restore, if officially unlocked, it will tell you that you've successfully unlocked it. It looks like this:
http://santosohome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/itunes-unlock.png

You don't need to disclose it if you don't want to, but I think you should and there are ways of finding out if it is refurbished or not (based on serial number which you can't hide).

Look here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/price-check/) for a Price Check.

karter
3rd August 2010, 04:22 PM
So my stupid question is how do I know my phone isn't locked? I'm on a Optus contract 12 months in.

Ok, firstly if you got your iPhone through Optus on a contract they unlock your iPhone on request for free, extremely simple, ring Optus and they will want your IMEI number, and some personal info to verify its you..then they will send you a msg saying its unlocked, you then restore the phone and your done! unlocked, as simple as that!

Carmen
3rd August 2010, 04:28 PM
Bugger I just put a telstra sim in and it cameup with a iTunes and cable picture and would only let me make emergency calls, so I guess its locked.
Does it cost to get it unlocked?

Carmen
3rd August 2010, 04:30 PM
Ok, firstly if you got your iPhone through Optus on a contract they unlock your iPhone on request for free, extremely simple, ring Optus and they will want your IMEI number, and some personal info to verify its you..then they will send you a msg saying its unlocked, you then restore the phone and your done! unlocked, as simple as that!

Ohh thanks I didn't see this before I asked how much it is.

Thank you

Jaste
24th September 2010, 11:01 AM
Insert another SIM and see what happens. If you are on contract and got it through Optus, it would be Optus-locked. You can request an unlock with them.

If Apple issued you with a replacement, it will be SIM-locked to the same carrier as the damaged/broken iPhone it is replacing.

When you restore, if officially unlocked, it will tell you that you've successfully unlocked it. It looks like this:
http://santosohome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/itunes-unlock.png

You don't need to disclose it if you don't want to, but I think you should and there are ways of finding out if it is refurbished or not (based on serial number which you can't hide).

Look here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/price-check/) for a Price Check.

I sent my iPhone 3G back for repair and got a refurbished iPhone back. The phone I sent back was originally with Optus and was unlocked. I had moved to Virgin (Optus network so not sure if locked/unlocked matters). Will the refurbished iPhone from Apple be unlocked. Is there a difference between unlocked and sim locked as you seemed to have made a distiction?

I'd whack another carriers sim in to check but I don't have one handy.

Huy
24th September 2010, 11:09 AM
I'd guess that it will be unlocked (the replacement one).

If you get a phone via the carrier, it will be locked to that carrier. If you don't make a request to unlock, and get a replacement handset, then the replacement handset will be locked to that same carrier.

If you have it unlocked, the replacement should be unlocked too.

Jaste
24th September 2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks. I just went down to Woolies and got a $2 Vodaphone prepaid sim. I can make calls so it is unlocked.

Cheers!