PDA

View Full Version : MobileMe

karter
3rd August 2010, 08:00 AM
Morning all,
Have been doing a bit of research about the MobileMe service, and would like to get it for my iPhone 4.

BUT

From what I have read around the net, the MobileMe find me service is a switchable service? - Please correct me if any of this info is incorrect as this is only what I have read..

If an iPhone gets stolen, isnt the whole point of MobileMe to be able to find it?

But from what I have read you can easily turn on/off this service in the settings of the phone?
This makes no sense, because if an iPhone was to get stolen, if the person had any idea about the phone, they would probably just turn the service off wouldnt they?
A password code to turn this service on/off would make more sense...

So this is only what I have read, like I said if this is wrong information please tell me..

Thanks

forno
3rd August 2010, 08:05 AM
Yes it is switchable from the phone, but they must know the unlock code:rolleyes:

Or they can just turn it off

If you misplace your iPhone or it gets takne by somebod who does not turn it off, then find my phone works.

There is much more to mobile me than that though

gehenna
3rd August 2010, 08:14 AM
Set up a PIN for your iPhone, that way the only way the person can get to your home screen is by knowing or guessing your PIN.

leharicot
3rd August 2010, 09:36 AM
skip the phone lock - its a pain in the butt to unlock the phone with a code everytime. It also makes you look like an anxious paranoid person. Find my iPhone allows you to:

- locate the phone
- make the phone chime (handy for finding it under the sofa!)
- send a message to the phone (hey, buddy, give me my iphone back! or the more nefarious - This is a CIA device that contains classified information. Blackhawks are on their way. We suggest you hand the phone back.)
- remote wipe the phone (aka the Nulcear Option)

Of course all this doesn't work if the phone is turned off - but who steals a phone and then doesn't use it! If its turned off, its more likely that you have misplaced the phone and it has gone flat. In that case, you are on your own until you can remember where you left it.

MobileMe includes all sorts of other goodness, including syncing contacts, calendar, emails, bookmarks, etc. I got my iPhone 4 on Friday and instantly inputted my MobileMe account and password. Boom, within 60 seconds the phone was personalised to me. No set-up. No inputting contacts. By the time I got back to the office (5 mins from T-life) it was as if I had owened the phone for years. Boom.

The way it should be.

Fitshaced
3rd August 2010, 09:53 AM
I personally couldnt justify to myself a purchase of Mobile Me. Ok, you can find your phone if you lose it. Insurance might be a bit cheaper. Syncing contacts etc, thats useful if you have several phones or for some reason keep losing your phone. Whenever I use my Mac, I have my iphone with me so can easily sync by connecting it up.

What other uses has Mobile me for the use on iPhone?

MacDub
3rd August 2010, 10:03 AM
I use my mobileme account with the iDisk app on my iPhone as a web storage.
I can store documents and photos on iDisk and pull them down onto my iPhone or Macbook when I'm on the go or iMac when I'm at home.
I tend to "lose" versions of documents I e-mail to myself, so I prefer to have one centrally located copy that I can access from anywhere.

adamd
3rd August 2010, 10:17 AM
I have 6 macs, 2 iPhones, an iPad, an iPod touch and every single one of them has the latest information when it comes to my contacts, calendars, notes, email and files (not all files, just documents I'm working on).

Well worth the money.

Fitshaced
3rd August 2010, 10:24 AM
I have 6 macs, 2 iPhones, an iPad, an iPod touch and every single one of them has the latest information when it comes to my contacts, calendars, notes, email and files (not all files, just documents I'm working on).

Well worth the money.
Yes I guess that makes sense. If you have more than an iphone and a mac then mobile me would be useful.

Jaali
3rd August 2010, 10:34 AM
skip the phone lock - its a pain in the butt to unlock the phone with a code everytime. It also makes you look like an anxious paranoid person.

I love the generalisation of this statement! Forgive us for wanting a small amount of security on our phone should it fall into the wrong hands. Also, for what it matters, it takes me all of .5 of a second to unlock my phone because I've just become used to it. Swipe and four clicks.

I also find it interesting that you watch people unlock their phones! :)

Bradster
3rd August 2010, 10:56 AM
Umm... anyone aware that with iOS4 you can set an Alpha-Numeric password as the phone lock now ? It doesn't have to be 4 digits.

Just go to Settings - General - Passcode Lock - and turn Simple Passcode OFF to allow this. You can even set the phone to erase all content after 10 failed entry attempts if you want to.

If anyone wants a much cheaper alternative to MobileMe (without syncing their private data to a cloud, etc), and you just want to be able to find your iPhone, why not try the iHound App?

I use it, and it works pretty well for me. So as not to hijack this thread, I might start another thread about it.

StoneWolf
3rd August 2010, 11:33 AM
MobileMe is:

1) An email account with up to 20Gb storage
2) A cloud based sync service for:
* email,
* contancts,
* calendar,
* browser bookmarks,
* desktop settings
* notes
3) 20 Gb of cloud disk space (iDisk)
4) An online photo gallary (Gallery)
5) Find my iPhone/iPad (locate, send message, remote wipe)
6) A web interface to alternatively access all of the above.

All of these services can be attained via different means for little to no cost. E.g.: gmail account, Dropbox account, flickr account, etc etc. It is up to the individual to assess if all of them being in the one place and supporting and working across multiple devices is worth the subscription fee.

arlibie
3rd August 2010, 01:51 PM
I have a question about mobileme and email, can it sync any email address? Or just the @me.com email it gives you?

cjm
3rd August 2010, 02:40 PM
I have a question about mobileme and email, can it sync any email address? Or just the @me.com email it gives you?

How do you mean exactly? My dad has a personal domain that he gets forwarded thru Google Apps to his @me.com address, uses MobileMe on his iPhone and Macs, and then replies sending with smtp.gmail.com. So essentially he is using the service with his own email address.

You can also set it up to do POP fetching.

karter
3rd August 2010, 04:18 PM
ok..thanks for all the replies..

I have gotten my answer and it is as what I had thought..It just seriously does not make any sense at all that their isnt a password to turn on/off the locate service, because of what I stated before, if the person who stole your phone had any idea this would be the first thing they turn off..

It really is only a tiny yet such effective strategy, that Apple could use, would easily appeal to people like me who would only use MobileMe for one item..

Surely it wouldnt be that hard for Apple to add this, (i know it wont happen) but really, it would be very very handy....

evmorg
3rd August 2010, 04:36 PM
I don't get what the issue is. If someone runs off with your phone, you seem to be more worried about just getting the phone back than someone accessing any information that's on your phone? 'Cause without a passcode lock, that's basically what's going to happen. For me, the issue wouldn't be about chasing down my phone - insurance should cover the loss - it's about protecting the data that's on it and the passcode lock is about the only way you're going to do that. And if your phone is locked, they can't get to the settings to turn Find My iPhone off.

mattatkins
3rd August 2010, 04:38 PM
If your worried about the cost of MobileMe then try ebay. I picked mine up for $68 and I think the seller is in Australia as well. Makes it worth it at that price I think.

karter
3rd August 2010, 04:42 PM
I don't get what the issue is. If someone runs off with your phone, you seem to be more worried about just getting the phone back than someone accessing any information that's on your phone? 'Cause without a passcode lock, that's basically what's going to happen. For me, the issue wouldn't be about chasing down my phone - insurance should cover the loss - it's about protecting the data that's on it and the passcode lock is about the only way you're going to do that. And if your phone is locked, they can't get to the settings to turn Find My iPhone off.

yes, that is a fair point, but when i had the lock passcode setting on my phone, it kinda got annoying for checking the little things on the phone, hence why mobile me would suit me better if it had a lock for the find iphone service. Without a lock on entering the phone, you can still remote wipe the iphone and get rid of everything on the phone through mobile me and you can ring your network provider to temporary cancel access to the phone plan, so that leaves you all safe but with no phone..thats when the password to turn on/off the setting comes in handy.

sirstaunch
3rd August 2010, 05:44 PM
You can set the lock to set at various lengths of times to lock, 5 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, 5 hours. I think an hour is sufficient to lock it as in that time you're not using it, but 5 minutes is a bit short as you may of just put it down to go do some other thing in the bathroom or something.

karter
3rd August 2010, 06:03 PM
You can set the lock to set at various lengths of times to lock, 5 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, 5 hours. I think an hour is sufficient to lock it as in that time you're not using it, but 5 minutes is a bit short as you may of just put it down to go do some other thing in the bathroom or something.

ok thanks..will look into doing this!!
cheers

olfella
3rd August 2010, 07:26 PM
I think you may be trying to complicate a very simple process of unlocking. I have had my 3GS for over twelve months now and have used the unlock all the time. It is so easy I can hold the phone in one hand and use the thumb of that hand to enter the code. It is not a great deal for the benefits offered, namely data security.

tange
3rd August 2010, 07:54 PM
I don't get what the problem is with passcode lock? I have it on mine to enable as soon as I hit the top button and it doesn't even faze me if I have to go unlock it in the next 10 secs - it's just part of the use of my phone.
I agree with all about the info safety issues, but the most important thing for me is having it locked so my 6 yr old doesn't use it without my knowledge (and potentially run up a huge data bill).
We have mobile me family pack for it's syncing and iDisk capabilities (5 macs and 2 iphones is a lot of info). I love that I can access anything on iDisk on my iPhone wherever I am, and that all my contacts and calendars are always in sync.

opilot87
3rd August 2010, 08:42 PM
I'm more worried about getting my phone back, hence I have MobileMe. I also enjoy the fact its likely I will get my phone back, and, likely find the thief and get the mongrel punished.

I know you have to allow Find my iPhone to work, so purchasing MobileMe after the phone is stolen is pointless, but I am not aware of any settings to turn it off from the phone. Please correct me if I am wrong?

The only time it won't work is if the the phone does not have reception through either the SIM card or Wifi internet. Or if the phone is restored.

Ollie

arlibie
4th August 2010, 08:15 AM
How do you mean exactly? My dad has a personal domain that he gets forwarded thru Google Apps to his @me.com address, uses MobileMe on his iPhone and Macs, and then replies sending with smtp.gmail.com. So essentially he is using the service with his own email address.

You can also set it up to do POP fetching.

My primary email address is the one my ISP gave me (so not a webmail one like gmail or hotmail), and I'd like to be able to sync those emails across 3 devices (so I'm not getting the same email 3 times) if that makes sense?

So it sounds like you have to do some email forwarding and whatnot? Nothing more straight forward??:confused:

icant
4th August 2010, 09:22 AM

Whatís the advantage of this over using Google Sync on the iPhone? a.k.a. a Exchange account on the iPhone with Google details.

Therefore mobileme for addressbook/bookmark/calendar syncing, but no mail.
Google Sync for mail only.

cjm
4th August 2010, 09:38 AM
Whatís the advantage of this over using Google Sync on the iPhone? a.k.a. a Exchange account on the iPhone with Google details.

Therefore mobileme for addressbook/bookmark/calendar syncing, but no mail.
Google Sync for mail only.

Advantage is using the MobileMe service which is far more reliable and smoother. We always seemed to have trouble with Google Apps/sync between everything, and the best thing I did was ditching Google Apps for email and switching to MobileMe. We would always get the most bizarre dialogue boxes in Mail.app relating to Google :confused:

Fitshaced
4th August 2010, 09:47 AM
I'm more worried about getting my phone back, hence I have MobileMe. I also enjoy the fact its likely I will get my phone back, and, likely find the thief and get the mongrel punished.

I know you have to allow Find my iPhone to work, so purchasing MobileMe after the phone is stolen is pointless, but I am not aware of any settings to turn it off from the phone. Please correct me if I am wrong?

The only time it won't work is if the the phone does not have reception through either the SIM card or Wifi internet. Or if the phone is restored.

Ollie
If the phone is restored? But surely this could be done before you even know your phone is stolen.

opilot87
4th August 2010, 08:11 PM
If the phone is restored? But surely this could be done before you even know your phone is stolen.

Yep :(

NeoRicen
4th August 2010, 08:48 PM
Find My iPhone is less "Find My Stolen iPhone" and more "Find My Lost iPhone".

It's not necessarily guaranteed to work in every situation (theft, for example) but it is incredibly useful for a bunch of other situations, such as losing it and if you misplace it in your house but in silent mode so you can't call it, you can make it beep.

Fitshaced
4th August 2010, 09:00 PM
Find My iPhone is less "Find My Stolen iPhone" and more "Find My Lost iPhone".

It's not necessarily guaranteed to work in every situation (theft, for example) but it is incredibly useful for a bunch of other situations, such as losing it and if you misplace it in your house but in silent mode so you can't call it, you can make it beep.
Which means its more 'Find my lost iphone while the battery is still alive'