PDA

View Full Version : How is your battery life on your iPhone 4?

BUDDY23
2nd August 2010, 05:14 PM
Usage 2 hours 27 minutes

Stand by 17 hours

Battery percentage left 51%

Is that good?

Any tips on a way to get better battery life?

Thanks

Vzzzbx
2nd August 2010, 05:19 PM
Mine's not as good as I thought it'd be.

Keving
2nd August 2010, 05:20 PM
I left mine on overnight at 100%, it was dead flat the day after in the morning.

I'd call that pretty horrible battery life.... My 3GS never had those issues!!

BUDDY23
2nd August 2010, 05:31 PM
I left mine on overnight at 100%, it was dead flat the day after in the morning.

I left mine overnight as well on 100% woke up 6 hours later and only lost 3 percent.

With flat out usage I'll get 4 hours usage and 8 hours standby. :o

gehenna
2nd August 2010, 05:34 PM
Any tips on a way to get better battery life?

Thanks

Turn airplane mode on when you're going to sleep. You'll save all your battery AND sleep much better.

iJohn
2nd August 2010, 05:42 PM
Usuage 2 hours 44 mins,

Standby 1day 17 hours,

52% remaining

schwarta
2nd August 2010, 05:44 PM
3hr 26m usage. Currently on 38%.

karter
2nd August 2010, 07:31 PM
I believe that as soon as the iPhone is taken out of the box you are supposed to FULLY charge the battery...?

Only what Ive heard, but would make sense I think..

Depends also alot on the brightness of the screen and data useage..

tom5955
2nd August 2010, 07:35 PM
Mines pretty bad, but from what I've read (and am experiencing now) it should get better over the course of the first week.

I've decided that if its not much better by next week i'll probably go and see if they can switch it for me. Yesterday I barely got to 1 before I had to charge it again. Thats pretty unacceptable.

Beau
2nd August 2010, 07:39 PM
You guys might also want to mention what apps you've been using thanks to multitasking.

Eg, if you're using Skype, it apparently loves the battery as it maintains a persistent connection to the server to keep you logged in. Location apps also have two degrees of multitasking - they can have a rough fix on your location thanks to wifi or cell tower, or a more precise GPS fix - naturally GPS uses more battery.

kiwijohn
2nd August 2010, 08:07 PM
6 hours usage, mainly music through BT headphones
13 hours standby
56% remaining.

bennyling
2nd August 2010, 08:11 PM
Mine's not as good as I thought it'd be.

This.

Maybe it's because I've only given it one full charge/discharge cycle, maybe it's because we're all playing with our phones a lot more, but I'm really not seeing any evidence of that 40% bigger battery claim...

I have noticed that it's a lot smarter with screen brightness - if you've got it set to half brightness, that doesn't mean the lowest brightness level will be half brightness - it'll be whatever it thinks it needs (assuming you have "auto brightness" turned on, of course).

torana355
2nd August 2010, 08:12 PM
I was at 7 hours usage and 14 hours standby at 35% last night.

Vzzzbx
2nd August 2010, 08:28 PM
Maybe it's because I've only given it one full charge/discharge cycle
I've just done my second. I doubt it'll make a difference though.

I have noticed that it's a lot smarter with screen brightness - if you've got it set to half brightness, that doesn't mean the lowest brightness level will be half brightness - it'll be whatever it thinks it needs (assuming you have "auto brightness" turned on, of course).
Oh god yes! I noticed that its auto-brightness doesn't get in the way anymore. Thank you for confirming that it's not just my imagination.

Leopard
2nd August 2010, 09:06 PM
Batterys need a few charges before their at their Peak...
Give it Time people. Rome was built in 1 Day.

bed
2nd August 2010, 11:24 PM
the first night mine was on 100% and when I woke up it was 35%! The next night I left it plugged in at 100%, and in the morning it said 95%!! that was a real wtf But since then its been great, no drama at all. So def. give it time to settle in and all those electrons to flow.

rustyshelf
3rd August 2010, 12:08 AM
I had really bad battery life until my first full charge. I don't know if it's a myth or not but most battery people will tell you that it takes 3 full charges before your battery can hold it's maximum charge. In my case it seemed very true. I also rebooted my phone once because it seemed to be sucking the juice for no reason.

My 3GS had to be charged every night, but the other day I slept over a friends house with no charger, and my iPhone 4 went for 2 full days. Still had 30% left when I got home!

gareth
3rd August 2010, 01:09 AM
The battery is heaps better If you make alot of calls, but in other areas it's much the same as the 3GS.

cjm
3rd August 2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah mine hasn't been that great to begin with. It seems to be getting better in the past few days though. Nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. Then again I've been using it constantly so that could be why :laugh:

rustyshelf
3rd August 2010, 02:58 PM
Usage: 3 Hours, 39 Minutes
Standby: 21 Hours, 4 Minutes

70% remaining

As an experiment I'm going to wait til it hit's 1% then report the usage. Should be interesting ;)

elhuynh
3rd August 2010, 03:08 PM
i thought it was just me as well ...
is it the multitasking thats draining the battery?
I don't bother closing my apps .. but maybe i should now

cjm
3rd August 2010, 03:26 PM
i thought it was just me as well ...
is it the multitasking thats draining the battery?
I don't bother closing my apps .. but maybe i should now

Hmm. I'm finding that there are apps in my multitasking list that I haven't even opened. Like, ever. :ambivalent:

tom5955
3rd August 2010, 03:29 PM
Well apparently apps in the multitasking bar aren't actually doing anything whilst there, unless they come under the 6 (i think) exceptions (music streaming, finishing a download, etc.). So they are just in a suspended state if they aren't doing any of that, meaning that the multitasking shouldn't be the cause of bad battery life, unless one of them is doing something they shouldn't be doing (either intentionally or not).

rustyshelf
3rd August 2010, 04:03 PM
For something done by Apple that bar down the bottom is very confusing. Here's the best I can do to summarise it:

It's a list of your recent apps, in the order you opened them in, they are not running, but suspended and not using any battery, ready to unsuspended when you next open them. Like hitting pause on a movie, minimising the window, and coming back later and pressing play

The exception to the above (and they are rare) are:
- GPS Apps (you can tell if these are running when you see a little arrow in the top right corner of your status bar)
- VOIP Apps (like Skype) if you're logged in when you quit the app, it will keep running in a lower power mode
- Apps that were doing something when you quit are allowed up to 10 minutes to finish that task (but only if they ask for it). So flickr for example does this, you start a photo upload and you can then quit out. Most apps don't do this though.

I think that's it, did I miss anything?

ghettro
3rd August 2010, 08:29 PM
Usage: 4hr 54m
Standby: 11hr 51m
Battery 40%

I've had mine since friday morning and it has discharged to below 10% a few times. Subjectively I have found the battery life significantly better than my 3G, I can have push turned on and am using GPS more and it still lasts a whole day. Stoked :)

cjm
4th August 2010, 07:49 PM
Usage: 4hrs 36mins
Standby: 8hrs 43 mins

Just hit 20%. A lot better today.

mattpoon
4th August 2010, 10:21 PM
Charged my iphone 4 3 times now. Usage - 5 hours, 17 mins. Standby- 2 days, 1 hour.
Battery- 47%
Very happy after a crap battery at first. As stated the battery will improve!

Fitshaced
5th August 2010, 09:28 AM
Usage 1hr 2 mins

Standby 10h 30 mins

79% remaining.

I have push turned on.

bed
5th August 2010, 09:47 AM
37% currently
Usage 7hrs 12 minutes
Standby 1 day, 22hrs

Now as I said earlier, the first night it dropped from 100% to 35% overnight. The 2nd night it was ON CHARGE the whole night and dropped from 100% to 95%. So the battery def. needs warming up time. Its been excellent since then.

emerson
5th August 2010, 10:57 AM

exactly the same as mine, this happened to me twice and have since returned it.
waiting on optus to supply me a new phone now.

check: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/89638-anyone-get-dud-handset-3.html

ThexMac
5th August 2010, 11:56 AM
In my view there are two things that consume battery... having a lot of apps in memory under multi-tasking...and having poor 3G signal which forces the radio to increase power consumption...
Another thing would be Push notifications...
...and another little obscure thing with iOS 4 is having Searchlight work on features that are most used like email, contacts, apps, mail, calender and messages...

bed
5th August 2010, 11:59 AM
apps in memory under multitasking do not consume battery, unless they:
- are navigation apps that are constantly querying the GPS
- music playing apps that play music in the background

any other 'background multitasking' is limited to ~10minutes of activity before the OS kills it.

ThexMac
5th August 2010, 01:01 PM
apps in memory under multitasking do not consume battery, unless they:
- are navigation apps that are constantly querying the GPS
- music playing apps that play music in the background

any other 'background multitasking' is limited to ~10minutes of activity before the OS kills it.

Apps like Skype or chat clients would require pings to the server or to keep alive connections to the host server... mail clients checking mail server and even iPhone mail pinging one or more mail server, as well as if need be to power bandwidth to 3G serves...

leoleakey
5th August 2010, 01:04 PM
i feel i do need a car charger now for iphone 4

Kievmeister
6th August 2010, 01:14 AM
Usage: 4hrs 34min
Standby: 18hrs 38min
Battery: 47%
Carrier: Telstra
Push: On
Wi-fi: On

Rayd
6th August 2010, 08:35 AM
im stressing over my iphone 4 battery, i have brightens on minimum, wifi on only when needed, 3G on only when needed, location services off and push off and the battery wont last 14 hours!

gonna do another run today with minimal multitasking and altered mail settings.

Fitshaced
6th August 2010, 08:55 AM
Usage 3hr 12m
Standby 1d 9hr

31%

Fitshaced
6th August 2010, 11:03 AM
Usage 3hrs 39m

Standby 1d 12hr

17% remaining

iCameron
6th August 2010, 12:38 PM
Usage: 9hr 13min
Standby 1 day 13 hours.

>5% remaining.

EDIT: Actually, after looking at my battery that isn't too bad, i'll charge it fully and revisit.

Fitshaced
6th August 2010, 12:42 PM
Standby 1 day 13 hours.

>5% remaining.

EDIT: Actually, after looking at my battery that isn't too bad, i'll charge it fully and revisit.
Well thats pretty excellent. You're obviously not on full brightness I'd imagine.

bennyling
6th August 2010, 05:36 PM
Standby 1 day 13 hours.

>5% remaining.

I just got about the same:
Usage 7 hours 27 minutes
Standby: 1 day, 8 hours

Screen is always at half brightness, MobileMe push for Contacts/Calendars, and one Gmail via Exchange on Push as well.

Battery died at that point.

One thing I really dislike is that any time you're listening to music, that counts as "usage" - even though the screen could be off.

Rayd
6th August 2010, 06:24 PM
Usage 4 hours 28 Minutes
Standby 9 Hours 17 minutes

43%

3G off (on for about 20 mins max), Wifi on for about an hour, push off and always quitting apps so they dont multitask, also with autobrightness.

hows that look??

NeoRicen
6th August 2010, 07:04 PM
Mine's great.

3G On.
WiFi On (this actually helps as browsing over WiFi uses less power than browsing over 3G).
Full Brightness.
Notifications On.
Bluetooth Off.

Usage 4 hours 28 Minutes
Standby 9 Hours 17 minutes

43%

3G off (on for about 20 mins max), Wifi on for about an hour, push off and always quitting apps so they dont multitask, also with autobrightness.

hows that look??
Not going to help. Apps don't actually use any power in the background unless it's playing audio, sending location information or you're on a VOIP call.

If the app isn't doing anything, quitting it is probably using more power, since it has to load the app again next time you open it, instead of just leaving it in RAM.

You're wasting time.

Cup_Cakr
6th August 2010, 11:10 PM
I thought there was something wrong with my battery but after a couple of charges (and actually letting it go down to 1% and then charging it overnight) it seems to be better this time around.

swoffa
17th August 2010, 12:48 PM
I thought my battery wasn't up to the standard of some of you here. I was getting 5-6 hours usage and less than a day standby. So I tried the video loop test.
First I had to work out how to do that. Ended up changing a movie in itunes to a Music Video. Then in portrait orientation set it to loop.

Apple says about 10 hours of video.
From a full charge to drained flat.
Usage : 11 hours 41 min
Standby : 17 hours 2 minutes.

I put it to sleep for a few hours last night, and it also paused a bit (because I didn't notice)when the battery was down to 20% and then 10%.

Anyone else care to give it a go?

dpearman
17th August 2010, 06:14 PM
After initially questioning the battery, I let it drain to 1% and fully charged it. Since then the battery has been fantastic

Last count was
Usage 5 hours 10 mins
Standby 2 days

Pretty happy with that considering I use push email, wifi, basically my entire business on it.

torana355
17th August 2010, 06:30 PM
Usage 6.5 hours
Standby 2 days and 3 hours.

This was my most recent charge. Very happy with battery life!!!

Brennan
15th September 2010, 11:33 AM
I've had my first iPhone 4 handset replaced due to battery, it was worse than my old 3G handset. I'd unplug it at 7:30am, by 9:30 it would be at 75%, and by lunchtime, 15%. recharge at work and it would get up to 85% when I left at 5, and be back down to 54% an hour later (and 1x 5min call...) when I got home.

The genius bar guy tried to tell me it was an MS Exchage/Push issue, as their Behaviour Scan showed that it had been in standby for 2hr 41min since I left work, but had also been active for that time. He thought that Exchange was keeping an open connection to the server, and that was causing my problems, and suggested I change my email from push to fetch 15min or even fetch manually.

Whilst I saw his point, I argued that this defeated the purpose of having push email. He agreed. In the end he said that he thought it was a software issue, not a hardware issue, but that in order to preserve my faith in the brand, he would replace if requested, so I said yes.

The next morning I was off to RAAF Richmond for a 3 day course. Listened to music for the 45min taxi-ride to airport, then watched movies on my phone all flight up, then used maps as our GPS from sydney airport to Richmond (2hr drive in peak hour) and I still had around 40% life left on my new handset.

I Personally think that part of the issue is the fact that we can see the percentage, it gives us a number to focus on. now we notice when we drop 2%, whereas before we didn't really notice or care.

The_Hawk
15th September 2010, 12:29 PM
We just went from Sydney to Dubbo over the weekend, fully charged phone before I left, connected to the car stereo over bluetooth. Minimal use over the whole period, but after taking the phone off charge on Friday morning by Monday night I was down to about 40%.

My wifes phone was tinkered with off and on over the whole weekend (although no bluetoothing) and was down to 18% on Monday night.

All in all pretty impressed with the battery (especially compared to her 2yr old 3G :P)

susiegb
15th September 2010, 12:30 PM
Dumb question I know, but - where do you see this percentage? Where are people getting these usage figures from ... ? :)

Secret World
15th September 2010, 12:38 PM
Dumb question I know, but - where do you see this percentage? Where are people getting these usage figures from ... ? :)

Go to Settings > General > Usage. There is a switch to turn on "Battery Percentage", and below that is the log of usage and standby time since the last full charge.

Erwin
15th September 2010, 12:42 PM

I know with my iPhone 3GS and 4, you go to Settings > General > Usage > Battery Percentage > On. :)

EDIT: Took me too long to post that reply!

susiegb
15th September 2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks ... knew it would be something simple!

MrMoonface
16th September 2010, 04:31 PM
I usually charge my iPhone all night and that seems to get a long lasting battery (take it off charge about 7am and battery gets down to 10% by 8-9pm with heavy use) but last night plugged my phone in and then turned it off so it charged while it was off. That seems to give it a much better battery (it's only down to 71% right now at 2:30pm).

dawson1138
16th September 2010, 05:11 PM
i set mine to airplane mode over night and was still at 100 in the morning, might do that more often

FoolishSucka
18th September 2010, 05:12 PM
I was a bit disappointed with the first run through of my battery (it only got to about 4 hours usage and 17 hours standby).

But on this second charge it has got to 6 and a half hours usage and 1 day 13 hours of standby, 15% of battery left.

Its not amazing battery life but not too bad at all. :)