PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking iPhone 3G from Telstra

Mel7
2nd August 2010, 05:05 PM
Hi all

I recall seeing a similar thread on this some time ago, but couldn't easily find it, so apologies in advance.

I bought my iPhone 3G outright from Telstra in 2008. I've been on a $79 cap plan (not a contract) plus $10 browsing pack since then, but intend to upgrade to a new iPhone 4.0 on a $79 two year contract (when Telstra gets stock ;))

I'd like to give my current 3G phone to my husband. He very rarely makes calls from his Nokia, mainly uses it for SMS messages but would like the browsing capability. He is currently on a Vodafone pre-pay, which usually expires before he uses his credits! I'd like to keep him with Vodafone so he can keep his number, but my 3G is locked to Telstra.

Does anyone know Telstra's current policy for unlocking phones? I'd rather avoid having to pay a fee, but would like it unlocked so I can use it overseas with a prepaid local SIM using WiFi. If all else fails, I'll get him a new phone number and put him on a Telstra prepaid SIM and $10/month browsing pack, but this still means I can't use it overseas.

Any help?

Beau
2nd August 2010, 05:08 PM
Officially, it's still $150 to unlock.
However you may be able to sweet talk your consultant into waiving the fee, such as for being a loyal customer (been with them for a longer period of time and having multiple services with them).

grfxninja
2nd August 2010, 05:11 PM
If you get nowhere with giving them a call and you decide to move him over to Telstra prepaid, you should still be able to port his number over so there would be no need to change numbers

novice
2nd August 2010, 06:22 PM
I had a similar issue. I wanted to pass mine onto my wife who is with Vodafone on a pay as you use plan (old no longer available plan) but they wanted $150 to unlock. I tried to explain that i am out of contract and therefore own the phone, and they said they would wave the fee but their system didn't say i was on a iphone plan! I was (still are until i get a new one) on the 30 mth plus 10 data pack and 279 upfront...they kept saying i was on a normal 30 a month phone plan.

Decided to just use it as a gaming console for the kids and development phone for programming projects.

Chesty
2nd August 2010, 07:46 PM
Had the exact same issue.

What I did was ring up, simply ask for it to be unlocked and waited to see what happened. The lady told me it was $150, for which I politely refused. Make sure your nice, but firm, as it can go a long way. I also said that when I bought the phone, I did not sign any contract which stated that I had to pay $150 to get it unlocked, also reminding them that I bought the phone outright, meaning 'without further cost'. After 5 minutes, I was still getting the same result, so I asked to speak to her supervisor which she accepted. Got put on hold for about 10 minutes and then got told that the supervisor had decided to waive the unlocking fee as a 'one-off exception'.

Try your luck, as you may get lucky.

seacat
2nd August 2010, 08:09 PM
They gave me the same run - around. I have owned a 3g outright for 18 months on prepaid. A fee of $150 to unlock they said - then they tried the "do you have other services with us, we may waive the fee if you do " scam.

Sick of talking to plebs on the phone about this & going nowhere, can I go into a t-Life store & try to get it unlocked face to face ?

Mel7
2nd August 2010, 08:52 PM
Had the exact same issue.

What I did was ring up, simply ask for it to be unlocked and waited to see what happened. The lady told me it was $150, for which I politely refused. Make sure your nice, but firm, as it can go a long way. I also said that when I bought the phone, I did not sign any contract which stated that I had to pay $150 to get it unlocked, also reminding them that I bought the phone outright, meaning 'without further cost'. After 5 minutes, I was still getting the same result, so I asked to speak to her supervisor which she accepted. Got put on hold for about 10 minutes and then got told that the supervisor had decided to waive the unlocking fee as a 'one-off exception'.

Try your luck, as you may get lucky.

I might just give that a go. I'll put on my 'firm but extremely polite' voice and let you all know how I get on :)