PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Won't Sync - USB Expansion?

DTM
2nd August 2010, 03:28 PM
Hi everyone, my iPhone won't sync with my new HP Pavilion Notebook PC. I don't expect people to help troubleshooting it here but I want to know if the advice from Apple sounds right. I get all sorts of different errors when I try to Sync the phone. Sometimes it says The iPhone 'dann's iPhone' cannot be synced. A duplicate file name was specified. Another one is Itues could not connect to this iPHone because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000065). I've done everything you can imagine to troubleshoot but before I called Optus and Apple and as a result of calling them. This included:

1. downloading and installing iOS4
2. downloading and installing iTunes 9.2
3. uninstalling itunes then re-installing
4. trying a different
5. tried 2 different USB cables
6. tried 3 different USB slots - all ones on the computer - no hubs
7. tried a different machine running a different OS (mine is Windows 7 the other one was XP).
8. Checked the latest drivers - they are all up to date
9. Try to get the logs but because itunes doesn't recognise the phone I can't get the iphone logs

I have also had the same problems with my iPad so its weird it seem unrelated to the computer or its OS or the cables or the ports so everything points to the device but then the iPad didn't work either so it musn't be as simple as that.

Anyway after spending most of today talking with at least 5 people from Apple, their senior support person has advised me to contact HP and purchase a USB Expansion Card because they think the problem could be with the motherboard's USB. There have never been any other issues with any other devices so it just seems weird and obviously its going to cost me money.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Do you reckon it sounds like this is even a possibility that this could work?

The computer is only a few months old. The iPhone is almost 2 years old but is otherwise fully functional.

Thanks in advance.

DTM
3rd August 2010, 10:25 AM
Hi guys I just thought I'd update this. I tried syncing to a 3rd computer last night running a different operating system (Windows Vista) and it didn't work either. Then I tried syncing my iPad and it worked fine. Since the phone is out of warranty I think I'm just going to take it back to Optus and see if they'll fix it on insurance. I'll keep this thread updated with what happens in case it happens to someone else.