PDA

View Full Version : 40GB Gen 4 - Sydney Delivery Time

glennstewart
27th July 2004, 01:54 PM
Hi All,

Just a quick note for those of you who ordered a Generation 4, 40GB iPod (laser etching) from website.
I've been tracking my order via www.apple.com.au (Store, Order Status)

I ordered mine on the morning of Tuesday 20/07/04 and had to go through the normal process of faxing Apple a photocopy of my credit card details the following Wednesday 21/07/04

My order status shows:

Order Date: 07/20/2004 09:40 AM JST
Carrier : Eagle ASIA PACIFIC HOLDINGS
Shipped 07/21/2004

I received my iPod at 13:00 today (27/07/04)

So about 5 1/2 business days after purchase (about 4 1/2 from photocopy went through to Apple with ID).

--

I'm charging at the moment, but first impressions are great. The iPod click wheel is a matt finish and looks far better than photos I've seen. The proof will be in the pudding. I'll test this afternoon.

Regards,

Glenn Stewart

Disko
27th July 2004, 02:02 PM
Great to hear Glenn. Thanks for the heads up, and welcome to AppleTalk. :)

Have you got a camera? Some pics of it would be great!

OziMac
27th July 2004, 02:15 PM
Nice one Glenn! I second Disko's call, please share impressions when you start using... :)

Have to have my little gripe though - my order which was placed on the Monday night they were released (a minute after the store went back up) is STILL on Open... yours appears to have shipped the day after it was ordered!!! I would really like to know on what basis Apple starts filling their orders, because it sure as hell isn't chronological... :o

glennstewart
27th July 2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jul 27 2004, 02:15 PM
Have to have my little gripe though - my order which was placed on the Monday night they were released (a minute after the store went back up) is STILL on Open... yours appears to have shipped the day after it was ordered!!! I would really like to know on what basis Apple starts filling their orders, because it sure as hell isn't chronological... :o
Hi all,

I was hunting the net for information regarding delivery, so though fellow Aussies would like a heads up. Thanks for the welcome.

Camera... I'm an aviation photographer working for the site www.airliners.net.
I have a Canon 10D that should be able to take some shots :)

I ordered the pouch at the same time. It was shipped the following day. It was marked as shipped 1-2 days. The iPod was marked as being shipped 5-7 days (business days of course). I was amazed to note that it changed from "Open" to "Shipped" on the 22/07/04. So from being changed to "Shipped" to actually getting here was 5 business days inclusive.

If I hadn't contacted Apple with my ID, the order would not have progressed.
A little weird they require ID for first sale. Another collegue in office didn't catch it until 2-3 business days after he ordered, so there's another slight delay. Don't think for this though that it was marked "Open".

Extreme firsty impressions given 1 hour of usage and no prior usage of an iPod before:

* Packaging is fancy. Well packed! Very Apple (I'm a Windows+UNIX administrator in my day-to-day work, so not familar with Apple packaging). Very nice touch
* Charging: Quick! Was fully charged in about 30 mins
* Laser etching is identical to all the other markings on back. Nice
* Click wheel: Nearly no movement. I was expecting a moving wheel. I've seen and felt buttons of G3. Probably nicer to use, but handing this to a G3 user he stated that the positioning of the wheel+buttons would make it easier to use.
That said, the wheel is better than I expected it to be.
* Sound quality: I love music. Listen to it all the time. Most of my mp3's are 192kps and the music quality is fine
* Polished finish on rear: Smudge marks are immediate
* Size: Really don't think there is much difference between 20GB G3 and 40GB G4. I might put them side by side when I can.
* Setup: Very easy. Took about 2-3 minutes to sync 192 songs via USB 2.0
* Back lighting: a white-blue. Nice!
* Random playing: Awesome! I'm getting surprised when each song comes up. Putting most of my 600+ CD collection on this. I'll never get bored.

Pictures to come. Anyone want me to take photos of specific things?

Regards,

Glenn

OziMac
27th July 2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the info Glenn. My credit authority went through immediately as I've bought from them quite often - hmm.

Interesting that you say that about the packaging - some have said that the 4g packaging is a little downmarket from the 3g packaging - good to hear that you like it!

Also have heard that some units come partly charged which might explain why yours took only 30 mins to reach full capacity.

You will love the shuffle, and the playlists - that's what makes the iPod what it is. Awesome.

As far as potential photographs, a few suggestions:
- side by side comparison of the thickness of the 3g 20GB and 4g 40GB;
- the click wheel;
- the packaging.

Thanks again for sharing! :)

glennstewart
27th July 2004, 05:54 PM
Hi again,

Not sure if I can take a shot of the two side by side immediately. But sitting the two side by side, there is a difference (no more than you would have seen in previous comparison shots).

The 3G 20GB is slightly thicker than as a CD case where the metallic back section is more than 2/3rds and the white cover is less than 1/3.
The 4G 40GB's white cover is exactly the same size as the 20GB 3G. The metallic section is larger and roughly the same size as the whole 3G 20GB. (i.e. the 40GB is about 25% thicker)

Shots to come....

Glenn

OziMac
28th July 2004, 01:00 PM
For the record, I rang Apple yesterday to find out what the hell was going on...

The person I spoke to said that they were delayed and should arrive by Friday. So it's funny that yours has already arrived... hmm...

Enjoying it? B)

Febs
29th July 2004, 06:42 PM
I received my 40gb model today (and PowerBook 12"....and I haven't even paid for them yet..ha ha :ph34r: ) . We're still waiting on stocks of the 20gb.

Pics to follow later tonight.

yuri76
29th July 2004, 06:53 PM
my 20gig's in store now waiting for pickup first thang tomorrow. i feel like big kev.

Febs
30th July 2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Febs@Jul 29 2004, 06:42 PM
Pics to follow later tonight.
Camera batteries went dead. They're charging now.

I'm sure we've all seen plenty of 4G photos anyway, so I'll just post one (of the screen).
Mine is definitely blue. With the contrast past halfway (ie: darker), it looks very blue. Any lighter though, and it looks black/grey. It also looks black/grey at an angle (the blue is only visible head-on).

I actually prefer the blue look. :)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/febs/images/ipod-screen.jpg

Cheers,
- Febs.

PS: The 3G 40gb case fits the 4G 40gb quite nicely.