View Full Version : My iPhone 4 zapped me

2nd August 2010, 08:52 AM
I had my iPhone 4 lying on a glass table last night, and it was plugged into a stereo receiver/amplifier (plugged into hte headphone jack of phone). I went to pick the phone up, an got quite a nasty electric shock!

Any ideas as to what is at fault here? If I hadn't have had it plugged into the amp, would I still have received the shock?

2nd August 2010, 09:24 AM
It's because it was plugged into the amp.

I sometimes get a hit from my headphone extension cable when plugging in headphones.

2nd August 2010, 10:04 AM
Yeah i heard reports of this!

2nd August 2010, 10:15 AM
IANA electronics guru but it sounds a bit like a grounding issue. Basically, electricity from the amp found a quicker way to Ground through you and the iPhone rather than through the Ground the amp is plugged into.

If you can reproduce it, try connecting the Amp to power in another part of the house (run an extension cord or something) and see if it happens again. If not I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The other thought I had was it could have been static discharge, you built up a large charge by walking over carpet or something, then when you touched the iPhone you discharged via the Amp into ground. (I suspect that can't do any good for the iPhone?)

2nd August 2010, 11:50 AM
Don't hold it that way.


2nd August 2010, 11:39 PM
Don't hold it that way.


Thanks for the tip Steffen. Unfortunately that would mean not touching the phone at all - I was shocked as I picked the phone up.

This was at a mate's place so not easily reproduced. To be honest - it's not something I would really want to reproduce again! Hahaha - but am definitely curious to see if others have had this happen.

2nd August 2010, 11:48 PM
I have this happen occasionally on my iPhone 3G when I'm using the iPhone charger connected to the wall - I can't use it without getting zapped if I happen to touch the bezel. I don't usually get this when connected to my MacBook however.