PDA

View Full Version : New Mac OS X

stewy38
1st August 2010, 08:12 PM
Guys,
Has anyone heard as to when or If Apple are planning to release a new Mac OS X in the near future.
I am thinking maybe up grading my IMAC that is 5 years old.

Thanks

mitty
1st August 2010, 08:15 PM
Well new Imac's have just come out. I think you are pretty safe upgrading your hardware now, to Snow Leopard. If and when a new version of OSX comes out I'm certain an Imac bought now will run it.

kiwijohn
1st August 2010, 08:16 PM
Probably not this year according to Mac Rumours.

Huy
1st August 2010, 08:18 PM
Snow Leopard was released August 2009.

We won't see 10.7 this year. Go ahead and upgrade your iMac.

glacierdave
2nd August 2010, 08:20 AM
The hardware is a far more important factor than the software.

The iMac hardware has just been updated and there's almost zero chance that a new version of OS X won't run on it. It's also likely that an OS X upgrade won't cost you all that much.

If you're ready to buy, go ahead and buy. There most likely won't be new iMac models for at least six months and the next OS X isn't all that near to release either.

tupps
2nd August 2010, 08:42 AM
Apple will deprecate hardware support much quicker, but usually it is a 'line in the sand' type of thing, you get at least 5 years of support out of your machine.

Snow Leopard was the first version that only supported Intel chips. Last machine to sell with a PPC CPU was at the end of 2005/start 2006. In the past most machines have at least 5 years of OS support, and usually a release or two after that unofficially.

MacOSX releases are usually well known before release, as developer access to new technology is released the year before at WWDC. AFAIK no developer seeds of MacOSX (10.7) have been released.

Vzzzbx
2nd August 2010, 08:49 AM
Just a thought: if Apple plans to turn the next OS X into some sort of iOS hybrid (at least in appearance), will it release public betas at all?