PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Get it !?!?!

tcimac
1st August 2010, 05:23 PM
Would you buy a brand new car with a known manufacturing issue with the transmission!?!?

Then why buy an iPhone 4?

Yes I realise that reports are circulating (and threads and polls on here) that would indicate that the death grip is not as much as an issue than with AT&T in the US. However, Steve has basically admitted by virtue of giving away $6 million worth of cases that the iPhone does not perform to the standard of which is expected of Apple products or at least they are satisfied with.

Now I realise people are going to flame me here - but by giving something away to appease customers and 'address' an issue as a work around - that spells self incrimination to me.

Can someone please explain to me exactly why so many sheeple are buying the iPhone 4 before the issue (/s?) are worked out?!!?!?

I honestly don't understand why you would buy a product knowing it was "flawed" and would love to know what drives you to consume a product in a situation like this?

Alec Fraser
1st August 2010, 05:27 PM
Because the issue is related directly to low network signal. The reason it sounds like such a major problem in the US is that:

a) AT&T is shithouse
b) Most tech journalists are in San Francisco, where AT&T coverage is more shit house than normal

I'm on Telstra, and the only place I can make the grip of death happen is in one spot at home, and that's because I live in a brick apartment built in the 60's that absorbs signal like a mofo. Everywhere else I have good coverage, so it's a non-issue.

bed
1st August 2010, 05:30 PM
Because the 'issue' may be an issue for some, and not for others. Plain and simple. I've had mine since 2am friday morning and had no dropped calls, no data speed issues (compared to my old 3G this has been constantly LIGHTNING fast). Thus my experience has met my expectation that there is really no 'omgwtfbbq issue' - at least not one that affects me. Overblown anti-hype.

That answers your question (from my perspective).

tcimac
1st August 2010, 05:30 PM
a) AT&T is shithouse
b) Most tech journalists are in San Francisco, where AT&T coverage is more shit house than normal

Given the reports of non issues in AUS, do you think this will get into the media in the US?? Notwithstanding that I can understand that AT&T wouldn't like to admit any fault...

Holden Caulfield
1st August 2010, 05:31 PM
My main motivation was wanting some of the new features over my old 3G, esp the better camera and ability to record video.

I followed the antennagate issue, like everyone else I guess, and was willing to take an educated risk that the problem was nowhere near as bad as the media hype would have us believe.

I also made the switch from Optus to Telstra to partly shield against possible weak signal/reception issues.

If I had a 3GS I doubt I would have had the desire to want to change.

And, so far, I'm pleased to say my educated risk has been paying dividends. The iPhone 4 has been great so far and I am yet to suffer any dropped calls/data and don't imagine I ever will.

drewbles
1st August 2010, 05:41 PM
Given the reports of non issues in AUS, do you think this will get into the media in the US?? Notwithstanding that I can understand that AT&T wouldn't like to admit any fault...

I doubt it to be honest. The media love to whinge and bitch about something. It gets them more hits on their site/blog.

Having spent much time on AT&T's network i can vouch for its crappiness.

In my job i spend a lot of time troubleshooting problems on mobile networks. This fault is a massive mountain out of a grain of sand. I've also found tat the so called death grip is not a natural way to hold he phone (for me at least).

I'm thrilled wi my iPhone 4 atm. I managed to get the signal on an iPhone 3G to die totally, so apple is actually correct in saying this is not just on this handset.

Reports of a phone working perfectly do not sell newspapers nor bring visitors to websites unfortunately.

TheKeddi
1st August 2010, 06:05 PM
Because I don't listen to all the bullshit that the media pumps out and listened to the Australians who got it early and had no problem.

Losing a bar or two will have no effect your calls, it's not as big a deal as the media made out.

Like a previous poster said, the media just like to sensationalise, whinge and moan and they make more money. How many good news stories do you actually see on the news?

America prob wont hear that we have it better than them, they revolve around America, there is no rest of the world.

Alec Fraser
1st August 2010, 06:07 PM

I seriously doubt it, tech journalists seem to be focussed almost entirely on what's going on in the US. They may mention it and brush past it, but it won't get into the media at large...

freefallgrue
1st August 2010, 06:20 PM
Because I needed a new phone, and it sucks less than everything else on the market.

marc
1st August 2010, 06:21 PM
I seriously doubt it, tech journalists seem to be focussed almost entirely on what's going on in the US.

Also, "the iPhone 4 works well as a phone with no real issues" isn't a very exciting story. A far more interesting headline is "iPhone 4 hit by death grip!", even if it's a bit of a stretch.

No dropped calls here. iPhone 4 seems to have better Wi-Fi and 3G reception than my 3GS.

jared79
1st August 2010, 06:25 PM
For one thing, comparing this issue to a transmission issue is not really correct. For one thing a transmission issue could potentially be dangerous, and antenna issue is not going to get anyone killed. The 2nd thing is it's easily avoided, either by holding it differently or using a case.

Yes I can get the death grip to happen as I live in a house with poor coverage. But it's no worse than before. And the iPhone 4 is just to good not to upgrade. So that's why this "flaw" is not an issue for me and why I already have one. Love it.

DIESELBOY
1st August 2010, 06:30 PM
As for me, the reason why I still bought the famous iPhone 4, is because of the OTHER FEATURES of it like the Retina Display, the Integrated Email, powerful processor for the speed, those amazing third-party apps and so on and so forth.

I am fully aware of the antenna issue, but that's only one flaw that I saw so far. Other than that, I know for sure iPhone 4 is still the smartest phone ever in my opinion. ;)

tcn33
1st August 2010, 08:15 PM
Because I wanted it, which is really all the justification I need.

Zanorath
1st August 2010, 08:24 PM
I can recreate it on Optus when I've got weak signal, but it really is a non-issue. I dont hold it like that anyway, and it only happens on very weak signal.

On another note, I noticed that if I bridge the gap at the top of the phone my WiFi reception drops a bar. Anyone else noticed that as well?

iPirate
1st August 2010, 08:25 PM
Why do people buy Volvos?

Why indeed.

iZuloo
1st August 2010, 08:27 PM
I got it because I think Americans are drama queens i think you will agree not much has been said about it from the uk etc and my iPhone 3Gs has a smashed screen. Thought about htc, had a look at a friends, camera is grainy and the phone feels like a toy, even if I had to wear rubber gloves to use it iPhone would be far better quality in my opinon so that's why I have ordered one.

torana355
1st August 2010, 08:27 PM
I knew about the problems but i knew Telstra was much better then AT&T and i took a chance knowing i was going to get a case for the phone anyway which fixes the problem. So far i can not make it fully drop the signal which is good but im yet to test it in a really bad reception area like 1 or 2 bars without touching the phone. With 4 bars i can get it to drop 3 bars by simply bridging the gap on the left hand side with my index finger, No need to death grip it to cause the issue. Once my bumper arrives there will be no issues anyway :D.

grfxninja
1st August 2010, 08:40 PM
^ this ^

I got it because I think Americans are drama queens
^ and this ^

;)

MightyAtom
1st August 2010, 09:13 PM
On another note, I noticed that if I bridge the gap at the top of the phone my WiFi reception drops a bar. Anyone else noticed that as well?

Of course that's going to happen, you're electrically bridging the UMTS antenna with Wi-Fi antenna and detuning them both.

altflood3r
1st August 2010, 09:28 PM
LOL @ this thread.
People still buy WRX's even though they have a glassbox....
Its because people like the product/brand....
Not much more to say?

yagankiely
1st August 2010, 10:57 PM
I don't get this thread.

Reubania
1st August 2010, 11:11 PM
I've had a lot of work colleagues who know I am a huge Apple fanboy and were rather put off with this perceived "flaw". I had to admit that the media in Australia had sensationalised it, based on reports coming from the U.S. even before the iPhone 4 was launched here.

My retort to them was that their opinion is irrelevant if they were only going on what was reported in the media (and overseas as well). I will only accept their opinion/judgement ONCE they've actually held the device and tested it out on their carrier's network.

Although the media in here have quietly reported the "death grip" as a non-issue, it hasn't been "caught" on by mainstream media like how the news of this perceived "flaw" was sensationalised initially.

In conclusion, this reiterates the fact that Aussies have the "tall poppy" syndrome - cutting down those (and products) that are perceived to be a) popular, and b) of high quality and apparently rubbish them whenever they have the chance...without fully using one or understanding one in the first place. It's just totally misguided and unjustified.

db9
1st August 2010, 11:12 PM
I bought one thinking the 'death grip' probably Won't be a problem or if it is won't bug me. Here's the thing, if it was i would simply return it without any guilt or 2nd thought.

But, I actually like the death grip, when I perform it my signal usually goes up by a bar! So what I've adopted is a permanent death grip hold on my iPhone - although I try not to do it in public places 'cause it's awkward to hold without looking awkkward to put it bluntly.

So that's why I bought an iPhone 4. ;)

sirstaunch
1st August 2010, 11:54 PM
I understand what the original poster is coming from and fare enough question too. I don't have an iPhone and don't even know if I'd ever get cashed up to get one, but would love one, especially the video as I've seen editors on other phones but after watching SCO's (http://screencastsonline.com) show on the iPhone4's iMovie, I would really love to have one.
A lot of people as they have stated in some ways is that so what about the antenna problem? the device is great and getting it no matter what. Some people are just persistent. Try to fix problems themselves before returning it to the store, because you just don't want to let go of it, it's to much of a hassle to take it back, wait for it to be repaired or simply get it replaced. Waiting for it to be released was long enough wait as it was let alone sending it back. The iPhone4 has put that power over the people who raced out and got one.

Boys with their toys is what this game is LOL

Lutze
2nd August 2010, 01:16 AM
As for the media picking up that it's looking more and more like a fringe / AT&T issue, I've seen reports from Norway saying the death grip is an American issue, pretty sure that I saw a BBC article mention telstra gave it the blue tick and of course Daring Fireball has noted that Australia has struggled to find a problem.

I death gripped one in the local telstra store... Nothing happened. <- should be a t-shirt.

bed
2nd August 2010, 06:38 AM
I death gripped one in the local telstra store... Nothing happened. <- should be a t-shirt.

Agreed - I'd buy that tshirt, and I reckon many here would! Maybe Anthony should get some MacTalk tshirts done up starting with "I Death Gripped My iPhone and didn't lose any bars" but phrased wittier.

TheMonkeyBoy
2nd August 2010, 06:49 AM
"My iPhone 4 is broken. Applied The Death Grip and it went from 3 to 5 bars." - @maxvoltar (http://twitter.com/maxvoltar/status/19650202758) ;)

snowman
2nd August 2010, 07:44 AM
Even if it were a problem, I only ever have my phones in a case, as it's too damn expensive an item not to protect, so problem solved anyway for me!

forno
2nd August 2010, 08:01 AM
Would you buy a brand new car with a known manufacturing issue with the transmission!?!?

Known design flaw: your car will most likely kill you oif you crash over 100km/h

Yes I realise that reports are circulating (and threads and polls on here) that would indicate that the death grip is not as much as an issue than with AT&T in the US. However, Steve has basically admitted by virtue of giving away $6 million worth of cases that the iPhone does not perform to the standard of which is expected of Apple products or at least they are satisfied with.

Now I realise people are going to flame me here - but by giving something away to appease customers and 'address' an issue as a work around - that spells self incrimination to me.

Airbags & seatbelts in your car

Can someone please explain to me exactly why so many sheeple are buying the iPhone 4 before the issue (/s?) are worked out?!!?!?

Every other smart phone has a "design flaw" and people still buy them

I honestly don't understand why you would buy a product knowing it was "flawed" and would love to know what drives you to consume a product in a situation like this?

I could ask the same about many things, like why does my car radio have some staic that magicaly dissapears when I roll forward a few feet, why does a cb radio not always have perfect reception, why soesnt my walkman always have perfect reception, as to my old analogue phine didnt always have perfect reception. They are all mobile radio transcievers and thus work in a flawed environment.

:p .

DJY
2nd August 2010, 08:14 AM

Hear hear!
I never justify why I buy gadgets, technology bits and pieces, and communication items. I buy them because I want to!

I don't believe the hype - and am very satisfied with all my other Apple products. Loved both my other iPhones and am sure I will not any any issues with this new iPhone 4 either.

freefallgrue
2nd August 2010, 08:46 AM
:p .

Uh, your car will not "Most likely" kill you if you crash at 100km/h. If it is, sell it for something not made of paper cups and glue.

Vzzzbx
2nd August 2010, 08:53 AM
I rarely use my iPhone as a phone. It's my pocket internet terminal. I also rely upon it for language software which is only made for iOS, webOS and WinMo 6.5, and I'll be buggered if I'm buying one of those other lolphones.

Apart from that, this sheeple can't make the death grip happen, despite trying for three days now. Oh and it doesn't go at 100 km/h so I'm not dead yet.

Arkhum_Eramak
2nd August 2010, 09:57 AM
I'd call most other mobile interfaces a worse problem than the 'alleged' antenna problem. My iPhone 4 is giving me my reception in dB (carried over from my 3G, yay!) and I've never seen it worse than about a 10 to 15dB drop.

What actually pisses me off about iPhone 4 is that every time someone hear I have one I have to justify owning it, like I'm some sort of idiot. Getting sick of the term 'sheeple' too. My iPhone has has zero problems. Thanks news media.

feeze
2nd August 2010, 10:42 AM

You've never worked in a service industry have you?

Take for example a cafe. One could make perfect Cappuccinos. The majority of your customers would be very happy with the perfect cappuccino and be quite content. But no doubt, there will be at least one customer who will come back and say "This coffee is not hot enough."

Now, one could stand there are argue that cappuccinos are not made with scalded milk and that scalding the milk will ruin the texture and flavour (scalding breaks down the fatty enzymes which masks bitterness, hence why wine samples and always served with cheese).

OR, you can simply smile, apologise and make the customer a second coffee and scald the fuck out of the milk. If your really nice you may even offer them a free coffee card in order to give them the warm fuzzys.

Is making a second hotter coffee an admittance that your original coffee was flawed? Hell no. Is making the second coffee simply good business practice because having customers, even if they are only a small percentage of your custom, vocally complaining about your product bad for your business and appeasing them will cause them to STFU? Hell yes.

There is a difference between actually admitting your product is flawed and simply appeasing a vocal customer (even if they are wrong).

grfxninja
2nd August 2010, 10:48 AM
In a nutshell:
At the press conference Apple held, it was stated that out of 3 million units sold, there was a complaint/return rate of 1.7% (or something like that) because of the Antenna issue.

That gives me odds of 98% chance of getting a phone without issue. Pretty good odds in my book.

Antennagate = Overblown media hype