PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 Antenna Questions..

karter
1st August 2010, 02:21 PM
Hi everyone, new to the site, so straight up, i am sorry if this questions has already been asked a million times.

I luckily got my iPhone from Optus on Friday (30/7) and had looked alot into the "antenna fault"

I believe that my handset suffers from the antenna problem but not to the exent of the USA users.

What I have found:
If I am in a 5/5 bar reception area and if i use the "death grip" on my iPhone, it only suffers around 2-3 bars of lose signal, (maninly only 2), but if I am in an area with only 3 bar stength, I will lose (pretty much most of the time) all reception bars except for 1.
I have not ever lost ALL reception bars, no matter how I hold the phone, but havent really been able to test the phone too much as it only just finally got fully activated..

When I loose all reception and am down to 1 bar, I can still make and recieve calls and surf the net - although it is a tiny bit slower.

So my question to people in the know is..
Going off what I have said, If i am in a signal area with only 1 or 2 bars of strength, and then use the "death grip" will I receieve NO SERVICE? or will it stay at 1 or 2 bars?
I have rang Apple in George Street Sydney, and they have advised me that I will not loose all reception (going off what I have previously said)

All answers would be GREAT! Once again, this is only my first post on the site, and so far I have found it very helpful, so I am sorry if this has already been a question asked alot..

Thanks Heaps!

kevinnugent
1st August 2010, 02:33 PM
Welcome aboard, karter. Firstly, you seem to have a normal iPhone 4. Personally, I have a Blackberry Bold 9000 that does what you describe. My wife's Blackberry Bold 9700 also does that.

As they say "If holding it that way causes a issue, don't hold it that way". :)

karter
1st August 2010, 02:40 PM
Welcome aboard, karter. Firstly, you seem to have a normal iPhone 4. Personally, I have a Blackberry Bold 9000 that does what you describe. My wife's Blackberry Bold 9700 also does that.

As they say "If holding it that way causes a issue, don't hold it that way". :)

Thanks Kevin! Great site so its a privliedge to be apart of it..

Seems as though alot of Optus uses have the same problem?

iJohn
1st August 2010, 02:53 PM
I know with telstra it may drop to one bar at the worst... but never to the " no service" status

karter
1st August 2010, 03:08 PM
Well was just running a few more tests with the "death grip" and got it from 3 to one then back to 2 then 1 then the Internet started
To slow up..about as fast as my 3GS was on vodafone (same spot)

???????

MacTime
1st August 2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome karter!

Make sure you are running the latest version of software (4.0.1) on your phone. This has the more accurate reading for the phone's reception bars.

karter
1st August 2010, 03:52 PM
Welcome karter!

Make sure you are running the latest version of software (4.0.1) on your phone. This has the more accurate reading for the phone's reception bars.

Yes running 4.0.1

torana355
1st August 2010, 04:02 PM
What I have found:
If I am in a 5/5 bar reception area and if i use the "death grip" on my iPhone, it only suffers around 2-3 bars of lose signal, (maninly only 2), but if I am in an area with only 3 bar stength, I will lose (pretty much most of the time) all reception bars except for 1.
I have not ever lost ALL reception bars, no matter how I hold the phone, but havent really been able to test the phone too much as it only just finally got fully activated..

When I loose all reception and am down to 1 bar, I can still make and recieve calls and surf the net - although it is a tiny bit slower.

Welcome. Most people are giving different answers to the death grip question but the fact is all the iphone 4's have the same bad design. What does vary is the provider and signal strength. I am with Telstra which has the best coverage and i can get my phone to drop up to 3 bars.

If im in a area with a strong signal i will get 5 bars and i can not get it to drop any bars no matter how i hold it. However in an area with only 4 bars to start with i can get it down to one bar but i don't lose the signal completely. Im yet to try the phone in an area with 1-3 bars to start with so i don't know if the death grip will make it lose reception in that situation.

We will find out alot more over the next month as more and more people go into low signal areas and discover that they do infact suffer from the bad antenna design.

cranky
1st August 2010, 04:18 PM
Karter, Welcome i was a Nokia fan for many years owned just about every E series the latest being a Nokia E71 guess what they (Nokia) had the same issue of the death grip, Don't worry about it just hold it normally & enjoy one of the best phones ever made.

ellsab
1st August 2010, 04:30 PM
We will find out alot more over the next month as more and more people go into low signal areas and discover that they do infact suffer from the bad antenna design.

Absolute rubbish, if you know your in a bad signal area, just be sure to hold in normal use, if you try to do this much talked about Death Grip and the call drops what was the point of holding it that way?? Just to prove a point?! Then you are a fool.

The aerial was meant to be 40% larger than previous designs, so overall, you should find a 40% stronger signal?

I for one think the whole aerial thing is just noise, it has been proven other phones will also suffer signal loss if you try to suffocate the device, let's just use the phone and enjoy all the great new features, as I will never give up this phone, it's just awesome.

The camera just blows my mind compared to old 3G model, plus the speed, plus multitasking, should I go on.

torana355
1st August 2010, 04:43 PM
Absolute rubbish, if you know your in a bad signal area, just be sure to hold in normal use, if you try to do this much talked about Death Grip and the call drops what was the point of holding it that way?? Just to prove a point?! Then you are a fool.

Im sorry but you don't have to death grip the iphone 4 to kill the reception, all you have to do is place a finger on the left hand gap and bridge the two antennas( one for WiFi and the other for calls/data!!! This can be done holding the phone normally. As seen in a few in depth tests the iphone 4 drops about 18db when holding it normally compared to just 2db with the 3Gs!!!! So many people trying to justify their purchase of a phone with faults before even using the phone for at least a week.

This link will explain everything to you . (http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2)

karter
1st August 2010, 05:07 PM
Ok..Thanks for the responses, is really helping me with regards to the "death grip" and the antenna in general..

Thanks for the welcoming to the site..Is very informing!!!

I believe that those using the previous iOS 3 software on there iPhone 3G were having no problems with the antenna at all -(not 100% sure if this is true as I do not have an iPhone 3G) but they are now struggling alot with their reception..if it is true information, this would be a software update fault, would it not?

Hence..Any chance the iPhone 4 in time will have a software update and fix for the antenna fault?

Please dont get me wrong, I really like the new iPhone 4, I have had the 3G, 3GS and now the 4 and can definatley tell the improvements even from the 3GS.

So hopefully, Apple will be able to come up with a software fix maybe? Just seems very different, if the 3G and 4 are using the same software, and suffering (in some cases I have read, even worse then the 4 reception)

Thanks

torana355
1st August 2010, 05:12 PM
Karter the problem is a physical one and can not be fixed with a software update. It can be fixed with a free bumper case from Apple which insulates the antennas from your hand.

ipwn
1st August 2010, 07:10 PM
Its really a simple "no stress" issue.

If it doesn't work how you want it too take it back.
or
Get a case.

or avoid the "death grip" if you know your signal is low.

really its not worth worrying about.

and FYI I haven't had any problems with mine in low signal areas.