PDA

View Full Version : buying outright

ctang
31st July 2010, 06:03 PM
Hi

Is it possible to buy the iPhone 4 outright and then have APPLE convert my existing sim card to a micro sim and put it into the iPhone 4?

&

Do I need a screen protecter?

Cam

Ecto1
31st July 2010, 06:10 PM
If you buy from apple you are only buying the phone. It's the job of your telco to give you a new micro sim. Next time you sync your phone before getting the new phone make sure you sync all your contacts and do a back up of old phone.

bennyling
31st July 2010, 06:11 PM
Apple won't convert your SIM to a micro SIM, that'll have to be done by your carrier.

Screen protector: depends. I'm 50/50 on the issue personally, but there are lots of people using it without, and it certainly looks better without one.

Huy
31st July 2010, 06:12 PM
Yes you can buy it outright. Just check the online store (3 week wait).

Talk to your carrier to convert the SIM to microSIM. Put it in yourself.

I would recommend a screen protector myself. Reason? I hate fingerprints/smudges on my screen.

d_mini
31st July 2010, 07:03 PM
I am afraid all the above replies are not accurate. When I bought mine at the Chaddy store (outright) on Fri, I was supplied with a microsim for 3 and had the service moved from the normal sim to the micro sim by the apple store sales assistant by phone, in store. The new sim started working about 10 mins after the call.

wolfie
31st July 2010, 07:12 PM
Buying at apple store I was also given the microsim for relevant telco and I needed to call them to activate and transfer my number over, because I couldn't be bothered waiting for the 1 hr phone call hold due to telco being extremely busy at apple shop, so came home and cut my regular sim up and I'll do the proper transfer in q few weeks when it's less busy

As for screen, I can't decide. So much better naked, but you run risk of scratches. While protector just cheapens the screen and feel of it

Leopard
31st July 2010, 07:21 PM
Bought mine outright and recieved FREE telstra Microsim and they transfered my number across.These Sims are Blank,no retail packets.TELSTRA RETARDS,sorry Reps didnt know how to port number across,and they had instructions in hand.Apple guy said they had training to which I replied "Cheaper to train a MONKEY..He laughed Apple guy done it in end.
Young girl asked how I enjoyed experience GREAT except for Telstra said she would tell Manager. DROPPED THEM RIGHT IN SHIT.."WANKERS"
:laugh:

bennyling
31st July 2010, 07:28 PM
Young girl asked how I enjoyed experience GREAT except for Telstra said she would tell Manager. DROPPED THEM RIGHT IN SHIT.."WANKERS"
:laugh:

Um, isn't that like biting the hand that feeds you or some other western euphemism?

nGage7962
31st July 2010, 07:50 PM
If you didn't change carrier then there was no "porting". That is just a straight forward SIM activation. So from the jumbled attempt at language that you used in your post I have no idea who the wanker really is ... Not that there is anything wrong with that ;-)

Leopard
31st July 2010, 08:18 PM
Western euphemism.

Wanker=Telstra Worker that cant follow SIMLE instructions.:rolleyes:

nGage7962
31st July 2010, 08:21 PM
Would that be anything like a person who can't spell simple SIM***P***LE.

Oh and transferred has 2 r's in it.

Shall we talk about stones and glass houses?

bennyling
31st July 2010, 10:38 PM
Shall we talk about stones and glass houses?

Or how about pots and black kettles?

iJohn
31st July 2010, 11:31 PM
Just cut your old sim manually and turn it into a microsim :P

nGage7962
1st August 2010, 08:28 AM
Or how about pots and black kettles?
Or Cabbages and Kings? ;)

Bosox76
1st August 2010, 08:33 AM
as stated by others above, the apple store will supply you with a new micro sim straight away if you ask (i'm on three), they initially told me it would take 4-6 hours for the new micro sim to work, but it only took about 5 minutes.

Edd
1st August 2010, 08:51 AM
No you don't need a screen protector. The iPhone screen is almost chemically inert and very hard. Anything that will scratch it would scratch through a screen protector, and if you spill hydrofluoric acid on your phone, you have more problems than a screen protector can solve anyway.

wolfie
1st August 2010, 08:56 AM
I've managed to get micro scratches on my screen from my 3GS. Granted they weren't deep obvious ones, but scratches notherless.

I wouldn't really trust such a claim from apple that it's pretty scratch resistant.

MightyAtom
1st August 2010, 09:11 AM
Anything that will scratch it would scratch through a screen protector

That's patently not true, in any case a screen protector would reduce the severity of any scratching.

Also, there are other reasons to use them such as an antiglare film.