PDA

View Full Version : no GPS on 3Gs since upgrade to 4.0.1

tanguero
31st July 2010, 05:32 PM
I couldn't seem to find a thread on this so here goes.
My most humble apologies if this has already been covered in another thread.

Since upgrading to 4.0.1 on my 3Gs I get no GPS coverage.
In maps the only way I can get it to update my position at all is to do a hard reset on the phone and even then it only uses the network fix and once it has found my general position it just locks up.
Location services are switched on, done a hard reset, done a full restore.
Still no GPS in any of my apps.

Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone found a solution?
The satelites are still up there right?

At the moment I am considering jailbreaking just so that I can downgrade to an earlier iOS and firmware. Is there a way to downgrade the iOS and firmware without jailbreaking?

I will be very grateful of any help the MacTalk thinktank can offer.

tanguero
1st August 2010, 02:34 PM
No ideas gang?

I have noticed that my wifi reception has gone very flakey as well.
Calls are good (surprising for Optus), had a week when 80% were dropping out, rang them and complained and since then zero dropouts.

I checked with my friend who has her 3Gs with 3 and she has broken GPS as well.
My sister who has hers with Optus gets a good strong GPS lock almost instantly.

It's doing my head in and I really hate not being able to use maps or Navigon or Speed or Trailguru.

Maps is finding me using the tower triangulation method but won't update at all after the initial lock which means I'm back to the Melways.

Any thoughts?

dhammachick
2nd August 2010, 05:03 PM
I'm having the EXACT same problem on my 3G and I'm on the 3 network. I've hard reset it several times to no avail.

Not. Happy. Steve :cry:

tanguero
2nd August 2010, 05:24 PM
I think that there are a few of us out there -
Apple - Support - Discussions - No GPS fix on iPhone 3G after iOS4 ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2486620)

I spent a bit of time on the phone to applecare today. They very graciously gave me a free consult even though I'm way out of the free care period and over a month out of warranty.
They had a few ideas that I hadn't tried yet, still no luck though.

From what I can put together it seems that the new iOS might cause actual physical damage to some 3g and 3gs phones.
Sounds weird but even folks who have jailbroken their phones and reverted to a pre ios4 version can't fix the problem.

I'm booked in to the Doncaster Genius bar on Friday.

I'll keep you posted.

tanguero
6th August 2010, 02:54 PM
The nice folks at the Doncaster Genius bar have given me a new phone.
They said that there were some cases of hardware issues being caused by running iOS4 on 3G and 3Gs iphones and replaced mine without hassle.
A good result.