PDA

View Full Version : What *free* iPhone 4 case are you going to get?

samuelowens
31st July 2010, 05:07 PM
So, you've got the iPhone 4 in your hot little death-gripping hands, and the Case Program app's out. Time to take advantage of his Steveness' generosity and get a freebie case...

But which one have you chosen?

bacco007
31st July 2010, 05:10 PM
Bumper in black

Huy
31st July 2010, 05:10 PM
Speck PixelSkin HD.

http://www.krunker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IPH4PXLHDA02A_Glam003_thumb.jpg

SaucyChick
31st July 2010, 05:11 PM
EDIT: This thread now has a poll! I'm getting the black tartan. (It's the prettiest).

Reubania
31st July 2010, 05:12 PM
I ordered the black bumper case. Really wanted a white one, but to be honest, I probably won't be using it. But it's free, so why not? I ordered a slim leather case which is the type of case I've been using since having the 3G and 3GS. Nothing feels better than a naked iPhone when you're using it, but it's housed in a leather case and protected when not in use.

samuelowens
31st July 2010, 05:14 PM
EDIT: This thread now has a poll! I'm getting the black tartan. (It's the prettiest).

Hehe - didn't realise the post goes up while I'm setting the poll up! :laughing:

Diva_Jes
31st July 2010, 05:15 PM
So, you've got the iPhone 4 in your hot little death-gripping hands, and the Case Program app's out. Time to take advantage of his Steveness' generosity and get a freebie case...

But which one have you chosen?

I got the Tartan one... cant remember the brand

Reubania
31st July 2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah! I just edited out my first line "This should be a poll" comment. Nice work mate! ;)

reemixx
31st July 2010, 05:18 PM
Bumper for me. Ships fastest and harder to acquire elsewhere. Might pick up a Speck PixelSkin or Griffin Reveal Etch (or another similar type of case) in the mean time, just in case I don't like the Bumper. The plan was to use the Bumper with the PowerSupport front and back films. We'll see how that goes.

cjuiz
31st July 2010, 05:19 PM
I just ordered the Apple Bumper.

I really like the look and fit of the Speck Fitted case, but some reviews have said that after a week or so the material backing started to look a bit frayed around the edges.

faith
31st July 2010, 05:58 PM
I got the Incase Snap Case - Clear :)

Holden Caulfield
31st July 2010, 05:58 PM
Incase Snap Case for iPhone 4 Smoke.

Still a bit undecided if I'll use it though.

bennyling
31st July 2010, 06:07 PM
Haven't made an informed decision yet, but I'm leaning towards the Apple bumper.

kiwijohn
31st July 2010, 06:09 PM
Pixel skin for me. Would have got a bumper if they offered orange ones.

Arkhum_Eramak
31st July 2010, 06:10 PM
Bumper for me. I probably wont use a case at all, but if I decide I want to for some reason, the bumper is the most likely.

snowman
31st July 2010, 06:11 PM
May i ask how we get these? I havent noticed a link from Apple anywhere?

Lockley
31st July 2010, 06:12 PM
Bumper for me, Expected delivery date: 8th September :mad:

Huy
31st July 2010, 06:15 PM
May i ask how we get these? I havent noticed a link from Apple anywhere?

Link:
iPhone 4 Case Program for iPhone 4 on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/iphone-4-case-program/id383941000?mt=8)

Download to your iPhone 4.

cowzy
31st July 2010, 06:20 PM
bumper, may not use it but it's free!
probably get a leather sleeve for it.

NeoRicen
31st July 2010, 06:28 PM
Bumper, probably won't use it.

DazR6
31st July 2010, 06:37 PM
Black Bumper

Leopard
31st July 2010, 07:02 PM
Ordered today Apple Bumper Black....To Eaaaaaaaaaasy.:cool:

iJohn
31st July 2010, 07:04 PM
Sorry guys, excuse my lack of knowledge are apple offering free cases? I thought it the bumper only??

Can someone clarify this please?

bennyling
31st July 2010, 07:08 PM
Sorry guys, excuse my lack of knowledge are apple offering free cases? I thought it the bumper only??

Nah, it's a free case from the iPhone 4 Case app available on the App Store.

Macworld reviewed some:
Apple's free iPhone 4 cases | Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/reviews/collection/4726/freeiphone4cases.html)

Huy
31st July 2010, 07:25 PM

You can get a free bumper, OR a free case from a limited selection from other manufacturers e.g. Griffin, Speck, etc if you don't want a Bumper from Apple.

It's because they can't make enough so they're sourcing other cases from other manufacturers.

MightyAtom
31st July 2010, 07:44 PM
I'm leaning toward the Speck Fitted or possibly the Griffin Motif. I'll decide when my iPhone arrives in a month.

I'm not sure I'll really use a case, but if I do I want something that'll protect the back.

iAlex
31st July 2010, 08:22 PM
Went the Black Bumper.

W9cae
31st July 2010, 08:29 PM
Black Bumper but while I wait I ordered this from Ebay LEATHER CASE COVER POUCH FOR APPLE IPHONE 4 4G BLACK - eBay, Cases, Mobile Accessories, Phones. (end time 03-Aug-10 20:58:58 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LEATHER-CASE-COVER-POUCH-APPLE-IPHONE-4-4G-BLACK-/110555167856?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item19bd99fc70#ht_1289wt_818)

Price with free shipping was more than reasonable.

Edd
31st July 2010, 09:05 PM
No white iPhone, and now no white bumper to contrast my blacky.

Ah well, just went with the black bumper. Can't complain, it's free. I did like the look of those Speck cases though.

smilne360
31st July 2010, 09:07 PM
going with the speck pixel i think... im keen for an orange bumper when they are available.

benwong
31st July 2010, 09:36 PM
Speck PixelSkin HD for me because of the good reviews it's gotten. Thought about the Bumper because it should technically be the lightest, but seeing that it's partly plastic turned me off.

iJohn
31st July 2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys.Went for the Belkin Shield Micra for iPhone 4 Clear

Byron Creek
1st August 2010, 08:08 AM
I went for the Apple bumper. Really wanted a blue one but they're not giving us a choice in colours, can't really complain it is free!

Not sure if I will actually use it, I like the feeling of a naked iPhone. Always had my previous iPhones in cases though.

BTW, I've tried to get this reception problem to happen but just can't seem to get it. Don't know if being on Telstra helps...

dannyhilton
1st August 2010, 12:59 PM

Same. I think it looks great. Plus it doesn't hide the sexy look of the iPhone 4.

Got myself a screen and back protector too (won't need the back one anymore though). Just gotta wait a few weeks but it's free, so I'm happy!

jack112006
1st August 2010, 02:34 PM
I'm very tempted to walk into an Apple store an try to pick up a green bumper, then get it refunded. Anyone had luck with something like that?

Edd
1st August 2010, 02:38 PM
Pretty sure that won't work...

drewbles
1st August 2010, 03:50 PM
I'm very tempted to walk into an Apple store an try to pick up a green bumper, then get it refunded. Anyone had luck with something like that?

You'll have to wait a while. Most f them have no iPhone 4 cases in stock at all. They'll come eventually

jok3r
1st August 2010, 04:57 PM
Incase Snap for me. Owned one on the 3GS.
Ohh and I didnt even know you could choose colours smoke or clear, ohh well What comes, comes :)

michaelguo
1st August 2010, 05:20 PM
To be honest, I don't like any of them. Seeing, that it's free, I ordered the 'Incase Snap Case for iPhone 4 Smoke'.

I also just purchased a $20 Gecko silicon case today from JB-HI-FI. Not gonna risk my iPhone 4 being case-less for 3-5 weeks.

snowman
2nd August 2010, 07:59 AM
I too grabbed a cheap case when I first picked up my phone, a Cygnett secondskin.

Just a word of warning - my case is probably what youd call see-through...the clear/white cases can get some real reflection from the camera flash into the lens, as I found out the other night at the pub - spoiling pictures. I'm going to be ordering a black case from the list, and hope that it solves this problem.

Amzy
2nd August 2010, 09:15 AM
Bumper for me. Ships fastest and harder to acquire elsewhere. Might pick up a Speck PixelSkin or Griffin Reveal Etch (or another similar type of case) in the mean time, just in case I don't like the Bumper. The plan was to use the Bumper with the PowerSupport front and back films. We'll see how that goes.

Same here :)

BoxDog
2nd August 2010, 10:18 AM
Bumper, probably won't use it.

Can I have it if you dont?

faith
2nd August 2010, 01:12 PM
Same. I think it looks great. Plus it doesn't hide the sexy look of the iPhone 4.

Got myself a screen and back protector too (won't need the back one anymore though). Just gotta wait a few weeks but it's free, so I'm happy!

Definitely. I'm thinking about getting a front screen protector (and maybe a back one too, just in case) from ZAGG in the meantime and then keeping it an iPod sock until the case arrives! Free case ftw!

OziMac
2nd August 2010, 02:39 PM
Went for a bumper, mainly because any other case (such as the Speck PixelSkin that I had my eye on) would take way too long to arrive.

Given the fact that the Bumper itself is going to take a month, I decided to order a Switcheasy Colors Black to replace my 3GS one, which should arrive this week. Definitely my case of choice.

FoxyBoxee
2nd August 2010, 04:05 PM
I am using the app - but am only given the choice of a black bumper with no other colour choices offered. Other cases are there as an option but only black bumpers.

Dang, I really want a white one

Anyone else finding the same issue?

Fitshaced
2nd August 2010, 04:21 PM
Griffin Reveal Etch iPhone 4 Black/Black Graphite but I've ordered a flip leather case for now.

NinjaCatfish
3rd August 2010, 02:57 AM
Griffin Reveal Etch for me too.
Gonna get some 'bestskinsever' skins for the front and back to protect the glass between now and when the case arrives, and I'll keep using the front protector to prevent scratches. Already come scratches on both front and back (back is noticeable, front only under the right lighting) and I've been pretty damn careful with the thing!

pyrite
3rd August 2010, 07:21 AM
Bumper for myself, speck black tartan for my wife

hangdog
3rd August 2010, 09:02 AM
Speck PixelSkin HD I prefer a case with at least a bit of give. I don't like it that much, it just seemed to be the most suitable out of a range of sub-par (for me) choices.

I would've chosen a Griffin Perforated Silicone if it wasn't perforated.;)

Thrice2283
3rd August 2010, 09:52 AM
InCase Snap Case. Had the slider on the 3GS and loved it.

Picked up a Gecko slimline hard case (I think it's called profile?) before I found out about the free cases, pretty impressed with it so far.

DJY
8th August 2010, 10:07 PM

I was going to get this one...
but I must admit I'm actually pretty happy with the [interim] cheapy Extreme clear snap-on I bought with my iPhone4!

Apple bumper for sure - something different to my current case, and will be hard to get locally for a long time I think!

W9cae
11th August 2010, 10:57 AM
Black Bumper but while I wait I ordered this from Ebay LEATHER CASE COVER POUCH FOR APPLE IPHONE 4 4G BLACK - eBay, Cases, Mobile Accessories, Phones. (end time 03-Aug-10 20:58:58 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LEATHER-CASE-COVER-POUCH-APPLE-IPHONE-4-4G-BLACK-/110555167856?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item19bd99fc70#ht_1289wt_818)

Price with free shipping was more than reasonable.

I just received this case today in the post & it fits perfectly & is leather. Such great value, makes up for the $50 I paid at the Apple store for a Sena case for my 3Gs.

drewbles
11th August 2010, 01:39 PM
I just received this case today in the post & it fits perfectly & is leather. Such great value, makes up for the $50 I paid at the Apple store for a Sena case for my 3Gs.

I'm not a huge fan of flip-style cases. The XDA II I had came with one, and it was awful IMHO.

I ordered a Sena ultra-slim case last week. Was on backorder so I emailed them asking for ETA. 20 minutes later they said "we'll have them within a week". 20% discount, and I got one shipped direct to me for $34USD. Much easier and I love Sena's quality.

Topher87
11th August 2010, 01:46 PM
Griffin Reveal Etch for me.

I am currently making my own Invisible Shield/Best Skins Ever scratch resistant Skin for it. I like DIY as well as being cheaper, plus I can make some for my friends too so it works out quite well.

kevinnugent
11th August 2010, 01:47 PM
BELKIN SHIELD MICRA, IPHONE 4, CLEAR-CAF

H2375VC/A

A$0.00

A$0.00

Ships:

07/09/2010

Delivers:

09/09/2010

* Subtotal A$0.00
* Sales Tax A$0.00
Total Price

A$0.0

alzzla
12th August 2010, 06:16 AM
I got the Belkin one.. Probably never use it, but since its free, meh why not.

bcprowor
12th August 2010, 07:49 PM
just place an order for the speck HD pixel rubber one. Reviews rate the case quite good, was never going to use the bumpers... id rather have back protection as well.

3-5 week wait !!!! bahhh by that time, i probably wont be using it

my bestskinever invisable shield is at the post office...cant wait to collect it tommorow and get it on the phone

gareth
12th August 2010, 08:41 PM
I was thinking about getting the Griffin Reveal Etch but i just went for the bumper

alias10
16th August 2010, 12:52 PM
I have yet to choose my free case, though I shall definitely be selling it the moment it arrives. I'm not interested in any of the cases on offer via the program (except the PixelSkin HD, which I already have), so prefer to buy my own.

Wish they'd have just offered a credit to put towards a case of your choice. :(

skyhawkmatthew
16th August 2010, 01:34 PM
Incase Snap Smoke - its shipping time is half the rest and living out of the cities I can't get another case before this one comes!

timmytomtam
16th August 2010, 01:45 PM
PixelSkin thing.

But I'm guessing that by the time it arrives, the paranoia about dropping it will have worn off a bit, and I'll be using it naked. Happens with every iPhone; it just looks so much better naked so the case gets thrown away :p

alias10
16th August 2010, 02:43 PM
Actually, a quick question - What's the best case to choose if you intend to sell it when it arrives? Apple Bumper?

Feedback greatly appreciated. :)

timmytomtam
16th August 2010, 03:01 PM
Actually, a quick question - What's the best case to choose if you intend to sell it when it arrives? Apple Bumper?

Feedback greatly appreciated. :)

I think the resale value of all of them will be pretty crap. Seeing as your target market (people that own iPhone 4's) can get the same one for free anyway :p

yinyang
16th August 2010, 03:09 PM
But I'm guessing that by the time it arrives, the paranoia about dropping it will have worn off a bit, and I'll be using it naked. Happens with every iPhone; it just looks so much better naked so the case gets thrown away :p

I think I'm going to skip the free case - I've got my Zagg now, and why 'consume' if I'm not going to use it, and I never had cases for the last two iPhones....

Waiting for my retro Apple logo though before I put the back of the Zagg on

alias10
16th August 2010, 03:10 PM
I think the resale value of all of them will be pretty crap. Seeing as your target market (people that own iPhone 4's) can get the same one for free anyway :p

Yeah, I figured as much, haha. :p
Thanks for your input. I'd just hoped I'd be able to offload whatever I end up choosing for $30, and get a case I actually want. Given that some of the cases offered are likely to sell for more than $30 once they're released here (Speck Fitted sells for $40 in stores at present), I thought it might be a good option for someone wanting another case on the cheap.

Might just have to order the Bumper, and cross my fingers that someone wants it.
Thanks again. :)

Edd
16th August 2010, 03:14 PM
You might get $5-$10 for it, tops. That's for someone wanting a spare.

alias10
16th August 2010, 04:53 PM
You might get $5-$10 for it, tops. That's for someone wanting a spare.

..For a brand new case that's worth in the vicinity of $30-40? Hmm..

samuelowens
16th August 2010, 05:05 PM
..For a brand new case that's worth in the vicinity of $30-40? Hmm..

Bear in mind that the free bumpers are coming in plastic bags now, rather than full retail packaging.

It means that while $10 may be a little on the low side, a person re-selling a bumper would be unlikely to get more than c. $20...

alias10
16th August 2010, 05:13 PM
Bear in mind that the free bumpers are coming in plastic bags now, rather than full retain packaging.

It means that while $10 may be a little on the low side, a person re-selling a bumper would be unlikely to get more than c. $20...

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. So the lack of retail packaging is just for the Apple Bumper, or does it apply to all cases that are part of the program?

I'm in half a mind to order another PixelSkin HD and keep it as a spare at this point.. Argh! :p

Thanks again for the feedback. :)

Stez
16th August 2010, 06:19 PM
Ordered a bumper, better reception and a bit more piece of mind. Does anybody know if you can get coloured bumpers anymore? Would be kinda neat but I guess they're like rare now.

sobie2000
16th August 2010, 08:27 PM
Speck PixelSkin HD.

http://www.krunker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/IPH4PXLHDA02A_Glam003_thumb.jpg

I also ordered this.

karter
16th August 2010, 08:41 PM
wow..these cases are going to take forever to come, according to apple. orded mine on 1st august, not going to be here until 7th september.. :S

Vzzzbx
16th August 2010, 08:43 PM
Wow, mine's the 8th. Good job I bought a cover in the meantime.

NORMANDY
17th August 2010, 11:35 AM
ElementCASE (http://www.elementcase.com/iphone4.html)

pity these are not free, they look so cool!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uCPfG7LgCZE/TGnnIKAjzoI/AAAAAAAAAJY/s3gsW-SxfRQ/s1600/Screen+shot+2010-08-17+at+11.32.31+AM.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uCPfG7LgCZE/TGnnH_S-GEI/AAAAAAAAAJQ/OQgAfG9GrcM/s320/Screen+shot+2010-08-17+at+11.32.25+AM.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uCPfG7LgCZE/TGnnHVgxoEI/AAAAAAAAAJI/xwb-VAuxous/s320/Screen+shot+2010-08-17+at+11.32.14+AM.png

dholms
17th August 2010, 07:10 PM
Didn't Apple say 'any case on the apple store'...? Or is it only ones within the app?

NORMANDY
17th August 2010, 08:35 PM
only ones on the app

fickwalker
18th August 2010, 02:06 PM
Has anyone received their free case yet?

VOOK
18th August 2010, 04:16 PM
My case just shipped, woo! (Incase Snap Case Clear)

Fitshaced
18th August 2010, 04:19 PM
My case just shipped, woo! (Incase Snap Case Clear)
Was 17/08 the original ship date on your receipt?

VOOK
18th August 2010, 04:23 PM
06/09/2010 was the original one.

Fitshaced
18th August 2010, 04:24 PM
06/09/2010 was the original one.
Cool, my ship date is 27/09.

Holden Caulfield
7th September 2010, 09:34 AM
My free incase Snap Case (Smoke) arrived this morning. Seems quite good. I've been quite happy using the phone without a case, but will try this for a while and see how it goes.

karter
7th September 2010, 04:38 PM
My belkin clear shield came today. Very very nice was going to get the switcheasy nude iPhone 4 case but no need now..:) thanks apple!

Mullarkey
7th September 2010, 04:57 PM
My free incase Snap Case (Smoke) arrived this morning. Seems quite good. I've been quite happy using the phone without a case, but will try this for a while and see how it goes.

+ 1

Didn't think I would use it, but it doesn't add much bulk to the phone at all.
Can't use the dock with it, but oh well

kevinnugent
7th September 2010, 06:48 PM
The Belkin Shield Micra Clear arrived tonight. Already had the Switcheasy Nude Black.... pretty much identical. I think I prefer the clear case though.

I can't see how they would be great in a drop onto a hard service though. I don't want to try it out, but there's no cushioning there at all.

ajbeardy
7th September 2010, 07:04 PM
The Belkin Shield Micra Clear arrived tonight. Already had the Switcheasy Nude Black.... pretty much identical. I think I prefer the clear case though.

I got given the Switch Easy Nude the other day. I thought this case was very poor (crap comes to mind). How companies are getting away with charging $29.95 and above for these cases is beyond me.

dekco
7th September 2010, 11:48 PM
Does the edges of the Belkin case feel sharp? It certainly felt sharp on the ultranude.

kevinnugent
8th September 2010, 07:05 AM
Not as sharp, no. The Switcheasy was surprisingly sharped edged. And the build quality was a bit dodgey on close inspection. The Belkin is better.

mac_man_luke
9th September 2010, 10:36 AM
my spec pixel shipped today from Singapore

GuruMeditation
30th September 2010, 12:31 PM
My Speck Fitted Tartan case just arrived today 2 weeks! after shipping. Now that it is here I am quite happy with it. Hopefully I will no longer have to be so paranoid about the iPhone 4 sliding off the arm of the couch.