PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to upgrade to iOS4.0.1 before restoring 3G data to my iP4?

Diva_Jes
31st July 2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Guys,

I've asked a few times on other threads to no avail...

I have a 3G and its running on 3.1.3
I have made a back up of this, however, do I need to upgrade to iOS4.0.1 before i can copy my data over to my new iPhone 4?

How do i go about this? ive never done it before.

thanks is advance

drewbles
31st July 2010, 10:53 AM
Plug it in and try and restore from a backup. If it doesn't work, it'll give you an error.

You can't restore 4.x to 3.x, but vice versa should be no problems (as there were no features in 3.x that aren't in 4.x).

Mafesto
31st July 2010, 10:56 AM
No you dont need to upgrade your 3G to iOS4, just back it up, then plug in your new iPhone and follow the instructions, when the option comes up select to restore it from backup (make sure you note the name of your latest backup, I had a few and got confused which one was the most recent).

Then the iPhone4 will synch everything over and also be on the new software.

Diva_Jes
31st July 2010, 11:16 AM
Plug it in and try and restore from a backup. If it doesn't work, it'll give you an error.

You can't restore 4.x to 3.x, but vice versa should be no problems (as there were no features in 3.x that aren't in 4.x).

Thanks Drewbles. Much appreciated

No you dont need to upgrade your 3G to iOS4, just back it up, then plug in your new iPhone and follow the instructions, when the option comes up select to restore it from backup (make sure you note the name of your latest backup, I had a few and got confused which one was the most recent).

Then the iPhone4 will synch everything over and also be on the new software.

How do I note the name of the back up? I've never manually selected to do a backup before last night... Sorry, I'm not good at the backend type stuff with technology :( (Drewbles, keep your mind out of the gutter with this comment... ;))

drewbles
31st July 2010, 11:17 AM
Plug in your old phone and sync it.

Plug in the new phone and select the backup at the top of the list that probably has no date (It'll just be the name of your old phone) and away you go.

Mafesto
31st July 2010, 11:23 AM
Plug in your old phone and sync it.

Plug in the new phone and select the backup at the top of the list that probably has no date (It'll just be the name of your old phone) and away you go.

What Drewbles said - but if you want to check how many different back-ups you have open iTunes, select 'Preferences' from the iTunes drop down list and you will see all the backps your phone has made. But as Drewbles said, it should be the one at the top of the list.

Only reason I checked this a few times in the past is for some reason the top listed one when I chose to restore from backup wasnt the most recent one.

Diva_Jes
31st July 2010, 11:27 AM
What Drewbles said - but if you want to check how many different back-ups you have open iTunes, select 'Preferences' from the iTunes drop down list and you will see all the backps your phone has made. But as Drewbles said, it should be the one at the top of the list.

Only reason I checked this a few times in the past is for some reason the top listed one when I chose to restore from backup wasnt the most recent one.

One more question... i need to use my 2 in 1 micro sim to start up my iP4... if i can't back up correctly, can i put my old sim in my 3G to do other stuff with it?

I'll die if i lose my Texts and pics and app data.... :(

Mafesto
31st July 2010, 11:30 AM
One more question... i need to use my 2 in 1 micro sim to start up my iP4... if i can't back up correctly, can i put my old sim in my 3G to do other stuff with it?

I'll die if i lose my Texts and pics and app data.... :(

Your txts and images should be saved through the backup process, I could be wrong but I am not sure if images and texts are stored on the sim with the iPhone or not.

I did exactly as you did, had an old 3G, running 3.1.3, backed it up, plugged n my IP4 and restored from backup and everything was back, pics, txts email accounts, apps.

Very clean process.

Diva_Jes
31st July 2010, 11:34 AM
Your txts and images should be saved through the backup process, I could be wrong but I am not sure if images and texts are stored on the sim with the iPhone or not.

I did exactly as you did, had an old 3G, running 3.1.3, backed it up, plugged n my IP4 and restored from backup and everything was back, pics, txts email accounts, apps.

Very clean process.

Ok, im breaking the micro sim now. Wish me luck :-/

Diva_Jes
31st July 2010, 12:24 PM
It worked perfectly! although, even though i backed up last night, half of my apps arent there... but thats minor, im happy to re-download... as long as i have text and pics, im happy.

thanks heaps guys!!!

zigzagler
31st July 2010, 02:23 PM

Very clean process.

I've setup my new iphone4 as "new iPhone". I supposed I'll have to restore my phone and set it to Restore From my old iPhone 3Gs backup?

Mafesto
31st July 2010, 06:49 PM
I've setup my new iphone4 as "new iPhone". I supposed I'll have to restore my phone and set it to Restore From my old iPhone 3Gs backup?

Indeed if you want your old stuff on it.

zigzagler
31st July 2010, 07:47 PM
Read somewhere in macrumors where ppl complaint iPhone becomes laggy due to restoring backup from a jailbroken iPhone 3Gs...