PDA

View Full Version : Vista - Startup In 3 Seconds?

dangelovich
26th September 2005, 07:19 AM
I came across this through Digg.com:

Fast On and Off: A Windows Vista computer starts and shuts down as quickly and reliably as a television, typically within 2 to 3 seconds. Windows Vista processes login scripts and startup programs and services in the background so you can start working right away. You'll also shut down and restart your computer less often by using the New Sleep state, a simple one-click on and off experience which not only reduces power consumption, but also delivers and protects user dat.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/confident.mspx

OK, so who believes this will ever happen?
I think the marketing department is getting mixed up about startup and shutdown, and sleep and waking a computer... I don't think Microsoft could find their ass with both hands in 3 seconds, let alone start an entire OS.

I mean, if Apple can't make OS X boot in 3 seconds, what chance in hell do Microsoft have?
I suspect this will be pulled from the roadmap... just like WinFS, Monad, etc.

samuelclarke
26th September 2005, 07:34 AM
I think they meant 3 hours. :D

It might be possible, I've heard that the Apple developer boxes with the 3GHz P4 Intel processor start up in under 15 seconds. But with both Vista and Leopard coming out next year (I don't think Vista will though), I'll wait and see who can deliver the goods...(however I'd say it will be Apple!)

Graham
26th September 2005, 07:52 AM
Microsoft will achieve startup in three seconds by redefining the time standard so that one second is now half a minute in length.

the_OM
26th September 2005, 08:52 AM
I'd say it's probably possible.
But I would doubt that your pc is actually usable straight away. The computer would be slow as shit whilst running all the start-up items and scripts in the background, so I doubt you'd want to start using until most of them have finished loading up.

It's nice marketing though...... you have to admit, when it comes to marketing, no one does it better than microsoft.

timwallG5
26th September 2005, 08:58 AM
Hmmm... new sleep state sounds a lot like the Mac's sleep.
I think Microsoft's taken more than a leaf from Apple's book - it's taken the whole library.

Mark T
26th September 2005, 09:12 AM
I don't shutdown or restart my computer anymore, unless required to when installing new software. In fact I don't even put my iMac to sleep now, I just set the LCD to sleep. My PowerBook goes to sleep regularly, when closed, but again, it doesn't see a restart unless required when new software is installed.

So, even if Apple were to reduce the time it takes to close down or boot up OS X, it isn't going to affect me that much.

Mark

Graham
26th September 2005, 09:22 AM
As the_OM suggests the system may not be fully usable. However, as long as certain parts are available (eg: the mouse can move) in the first couple of seconds then that gives the appearance of a working system to the user even though the rest of the system is still loading in the background.

Years ago I wrote a software infrastructure which sat betweeen front-end PC applications and a mainframe (real fun in Windows 3.1) which displayed a splash screen as it started. I left that screen up until everything had finished loading which took around 30 seconds on the 60Mhz(!!!) machines that were used. I couldn't get it to load any quicker so one person suggested that I simply take the splash screen down after ten seconds and continue loading in the background since the uers didn't open their applications immediately. I did so and the users claimed everything ran much quicker; well it took far less time to load so it must obviously be running quicker.

The short moral to that is that it's not what actually happens in the system but that it's the perception of the user about what's happening in the system.

marc
26th September 2005, 09:41 AM
Maybe this is just one of those "suspend ram to HD" type of things.

Either that or this is the startup time on their "minimum spec" machine (ie. a 45ghz P7 with 12GB ram and a 15 disc SATAIII raid).

Rayd
26th September 2005, 09:45 AM
it will only take 3 seconds in the first week of use, but once they intall all there crap and all there mods, and all ther $hit and the spyware and virus's hit, oooo it will be a lifetime before all them scripts load.

xfodder
26th September 2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Graham@Sep 26 2005, 07:52 AM
Microsoft will achieve startup in three seconds by redefining the time standard so that one second is now half a minute in length.
ahaha good call !

maybe they mean 3 second startups after waking from sleep ?

pipsqeek
26th September 2005, 10:55 AM
No no no, what they mean is, the operating system *could* start up in 3 seconds.... when there is hardware invented that can support the OS to begin with.... and I'm not talking those famous "minimum" requirements.

dshan
26th September 2005, 11:01 AM
If Vista starts in three seconds it's guaranteed to crash in less than one...

akaddk
26th September 2005, 11:02 AM
You know, I seem to recall the same claim being made by Apple not too long ago. There was something about this kind of thing happening with OS X before it came out I think. It was a save RAM to HDD thing IIRC. Did it ever happen? I certainly can't remember...

But having said that, I already start my iBook up in under 1 second by simply opening it :D