PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 - Sell on eBay or not?

NathR32
30th July 2010, 08:43 PM
Hey guys,
Having a bit of an ethical dilemma here. Was in Sydney over Thursday and Friday, and spent many hours in lines queuing to buy a few iPhone 4's for friends,who have decided not to get one anymore. I purchased mine on a contract from Optus, so I have one for my personal use.

But have a 1 x 16GB iPhone 4 and 1 x 32GB iPhone 4 sitting here that are surplus.

Would you:

-Sell to someone on Mactalk at retail price as you know other members are looking for one?

-Sell on Ebay and make a decent profit over what the retail as, and justify it due to the money spent in travel, accommodation and time invested in getting them?

I'm more inclined to do the first option, but as noted above, I traveled from Canberra to Sydney and probably spent about $150 or more on travel and accommodation over the two days.

forno
30th July 2010, 08:48 PM
Option 2, but if you change your mind, let me know;)

cosmichobo
30th July 2010, 08:48 PM
I'm sure there's a reason I avoided any ethics classes in school.... :)

I'd probably tell myself I'll sell them on eBay, to get more money... then in reality they'd just sit on my desk for 6 months waiting for me to take action... (Yep, still have those 2 spare Mysterious Cities of Gold medalions I bought off eBay a year or 2 back)

Here's a 3rd option.

Offer them here on MacTalk for slightly above RRP, and see if anyone's interested. I mean "slightly above", as in, say $50 each, to help cover your expenses.

May not work, but then again, it might, and it doesn't line eBay's pockets.

ajbeardy
30th July 2010, 08:50 PM
Well prices on eBay look good for a seller...although people are selling for a lot above retail.

Personal view is that I would not sell for a large margin above retail, maybe recoup your costs.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com.au/Mobile-Phones-/3312/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_nkw=iphone+4&_catref=1&_dmd=1&_fln=1&_in_kw=1&_ipg=50&_oexkw=&_okw=iphone+4&_sop=12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&_udhi=&_udlo=

ajbeardy
30th July 2010, 08:51 PM
Demand already in the WTB forum...

thats awesome
30th July 2010, 10:25 PM
wherever you get the most money, which in this case happens to be ebay.

bennyling
30th July 2010, 10:57 PM
Sell on to this guy.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/27/89607-wtb-iphone-4-32gb.html

Huy
30th July 2010, 11:07 PM
Sell it on eBay Nath!

I queued up this morning for 5 hours (!!!) and got 2 iPhones. I was planning on selling the second one for maybe $50-100 on top, max, for my time and effort standing and waiting. But a mate wanted one so I sold it to him.

I got 2x 16GB, one for me, one for him. Otherwise, I would have got a 32GB and sold it on eBay or something for a little premium.

Standing around for hours without sitting is not fun!

lukemc
31st July 2010, 12:19 AM
Nath im in Canberra again, will buy your 32 for 1100 if you are happy to let it go. Pm me if you are, leaving next friday morning

ipwn
31st July 2010, 02:27 AM
Sell it on eBay Nath!

I queued up this morning for 5 hours (!!!) and got 2 iPhones. I was planning on selling the second one for maybe $50-100 on top, max, for my time and effort standing and waiting. But a mate wanted one so I sold it to him.

I got 2x 16GB, one for me, one for him. Otherwise, I would have got a 32GB and sold it on eBay or something for a little premium.

Standing around for hours without sitting is not fun!

I agree with Huy, Its reasonable to charge for your time, they are in very short supply and 3 week waiting on Apple store, wait and see what prices are out there.

I know if I didn't get one on the day I would easily pay $100+extra to get my hands on one to avoid the lines.

NathR32
31st July 2010, 11:27 AM
I'm still thinking about this.
I would love to sell on eBay and make ~$400-500 profit on each phone but I'm looking at adding a couple of hundred onto each phone to make it all worth it.

I calculated that for the 24 hours between Thursday 29th 10am and Friday 30th 10am, I spent:
- 15.5 hours in queues (10 at Optus, 5.5 at Apple Store)
- 3 hours traveling
- 3 hours sleeping
- 2.5 hours walking

So, I think asking for a little premium on top isn't too bad. Plus I took the two days off work to go to Sydney (I'm from Canberra).

kevinnugent
31st July 2010, 11:29 AM
I'm still thinking about this.
I would love to sell on eBay and make ~$400-500 profit on each phone but I'm looking at adding a couple of hundred onto each phone to make it all worth it.

I calculated that for the 24 hours between Thursday 29th 10am and Friday 30th 10am, I spent:
- 15.5 hours in queues (10 at Optus, 5.5 at Apple Store)
- 3 hours traveling
- 3 hours sleeping
- 2.5 hours walking

So, I think asking for a little premium on top isn't too bad. Plus I took the two days off work to go to Sydney (I'm from Canberra).

Mate, exactly. I think that's worth a premium.

jok3r
31st July 2010, 11:32 AM
As great as Option 1 sounds morally (as im a Buddhist and believe in Karma)

Option 2 would be more ideal for yourself.

In queue for X length of time + commuting to and from Canberra requires a lot of dedication and effort.
Would the person who bought it off you be grateful or brag he got one on the cheap without making the effort.

Chuck it on ebay and get the best deal you can possibly get.

TheKeddi
31st July 2010, 11:32 AM
Mine is on ebay at the moment, Couldn't knock back the extra you get for them and I can wait after having a think!

TheKeddi
31st July 2010, 01:19 PM
How much are the 3gs going for on Ebay?

You could go look??? that's the best way to get current prices.