PDA

View Full Version : Selling iPhone 3G/3GS at the best price?

BoxDog
30th July 2010, 01:13 PM
Hi - now we all have our iPhone 4s in our hot little hands.. How are we all getting rid of our old iPhones for the best possible price? Fleabay?

Curious as I wonder if there's a market for them in the US since iPhones sold there have to be on AT&T and/or on a 2 year contract. The unlocked ones here will thus work on AT&T and T-Mobile and whoever else that has supported network frequencies without a Jailbreak/unlock. Theoretically this would make them more valuable there than here, to people who hate AT&T and/or dont want to go on a 2 year contract?

I work for a US company with an internal mailing list and can probably spruik a few to people over there y'see at possibly more than what they could sell for domestically. Perhaps. Maybe.

dekco
30th July 2010, 07:29 PM
Will be interested to find what our aussie iphones are worth overseas

Akshunhiro
30th July 2010, 07:39 PM
I just had a quick look on eBay and 32GB's are getting around the $500 which is quite good! I was originally gonna keep mine in the car for music but not if I can get $500 for it.

I wonder whether my 3GS will still be locked now that I've upgraded and renewed my contract with Telstra.

mitty
30th July 2010, 07:40 PM
^Once an iphone is officially unlocked, it can never be "re-locked".

Akshunhiro
30th July 2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah but it'd still be locked to Telstra though wouldn't it?

glitch
30th July 2010, 08:43 PM
I just had a quick look on eBay and 32GB's are getting around the $500 which is quite good! I was originally gonna keep mine in the car for music but not if I can get $500 for it.

I wonder whether my 3GS will still be locked now that I've upgraded and renewed my contract with Telstra.

Unlocked 32GB's in good nick are pullng $700 plus on fleabay

bartron
30th July 2010, 08:58 PM
Just for reference, unlocked 8gb 3G are regularly going for US$200-250 so that seems to be the minimum one could expect (that's completed listings, not current auctions)

BoxDog
31st July 2010, 09:58 AM
Great, that's pretty good. I might put it to the mailing list at work and see if there is any interest. It might be an easier (and cheaper) way to flog off my iPhone, plus if there is demand, I am happy to act as a "clearinghouse" to put people on Mactalk in touch with Americans that want them!

It seems crazy people want these used phones. I guess it is for those that don't want to go into contract, which is the only way you can do it in the US. To think that my 32Gb 3GS is a year old and probably worth $600 (the back is scuffed up a fair bit and there's a few minor scratches on the front) still shows the amazing resale value of Apple products. Imagine how much a $1000 Nokia phone would be worth after a year!