PDA

View Full Version : Installing Tiger On A External Usb Hardrive

applecollector
25th September 2005, 04:32 PM
Hello Everyone!

I would like to know if i can install MAC OS X Tiger on an External USB Hardrive?
I'm not sure if it matters but the Hardrive is a Laptop 40-Gig Hardrive.

Thank-You
Bye

iSlayer
25th September 2005, 04:36 PM
Macs cant boot from USB if im not mistaken

timwallG5
25th September 2005, 04:39 PM
You can install it, but I'm not sure if you can boot from it.

Try this:

When you start the Tiger Installer, select your USB hardrive as the destination drive for installation.
If that part works, then try going into System preferences and selecting the USB drive as the startup disk. (By going to the Startup Disk preference pane)

Hope it works!

rubyive
25th September 2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by iSlayer@Sep 25 2005, 04:36 PM
Macs cant boot from USB if im not mistaken
Nup, Macs can boot from USB. The feature has been in since the PowerMac G4s :)

applecollector
25th September 2005, 04:48 PM
There is only one problem!
when i did go to do that i it didn't come up on the list (i think!)
But wouldn't have have to install OS 9 then OS X on it?
ok but is what i will do i'll back up all of my 20 gigs of files to my eMac HD then i'll format it with the installer Dvd then i'll add the OS 9 Drivers when partitioning then hopefully it should install?
anyways i'll write back in about 2 hours.
Bye

PS: Thank-You for the very quick replys!

Rayd
25th September 2005, 05:15 PM
well i dont know what powermac G4 you have, but i sure cant boot from a USB external drive....

applecollector
25th September 2005, 05:21 PM
eMac 1.25Ghz G4 256Mb Ram Superdrive

LCGuy
25th September 2005, 06:30 PM
IIRC, the eMac should be able to boot off a USB drive.

bullrout
25th September 2005, 06:45 PM
I just plugged in my external hard drive using the USB 2 but i doesn't show up as a startup disk.

It works fine when I use Firewire.

Bootable backup using Carbon Copy Cloner.
eMac 1.25 GHz.

edit: USB 2 clarification.

applecollector
25th September 2005, 07:51 PM
Yep same here it dosen't show up!
So i just carbon copy cloner my HDD then will it boot?

Or if not how can i install Tiger Via Firewire Cable from emac to DUAL USB iBook?
Thanks Bye

Danamania
25th September 2005, 08:29 PM
USB booting is one of those semi-yes semi-no things. Depends which Operating system :). Debian and OS 9 can boot using a USB key drive on G3 iMacs with the correct firmware (it was a much advertised feature at the time that they finally got USB booting!).

Afaik though, OS X won't boot over USB, no matter which machine. As for booting on USB 2 macs, that's another matter entirely - I don't know if things changed there or not.

dana

applecollector
26th September 2005, 01:16 PM
Ok thanks,
But i tried to carbon copy cloner my emacs hardrive and it keeps freezing when i have to type in my password to allow it to clone! "werid!"
Ok again if thats not going to work is there a way on this earth i could install tiger on my DUAL USB iBook without an external Dvd Drive?
Thanks

step_andy
26th September 2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by applecollector@Sep 26 2005, 01:16 PM
Ok thanks,
But i tried to carbon copy cloner my emacs hardrive and it keeps freezing when i have to type in my password to allow it to clone! "werid!"

I believe CCC had some issues with 10.3.x and 1.4. I think it is working fine with 1.4.2
I used to use CCC, but now I have switched to Super Duper. Demo version will let you do full clone, but "paid" will also allow incremental back up.
Cheers
andy

purana
26th September 2005, 01:58 PM
CCC now works on 10.4 (it has been updated), incase none of you guys knew.

Senna
26th September 2005, 02:47 PM
AppleCollector,

Use target disk mode.

Turn off the iBook. Connect it to the eMac via a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable. Start the iBook with the T key held down. It will then act as a firewire hard disk and show up on the eMac desktop.

Install Tiger.

Disconnect the iBook the same way you would any external drive - choose eject or throw its icon onto the trash can. Then, simply turn it off by holding down the power key for approx. 10 seconds.

Jeremy

purana
26th September 2005, 03:28 PM
Senna,

The machine is a dual USB ibook, and thus has no firewire.. so your suggestion wont work for the poster.

I was going to suggest grab CD media for Tiger and install (but then realised, this wont work either, as I believe Tiger checks for firewire hardware, and when this is not found will drop out saying its not supported).

LCGuy
26th September 2005, 03:29 PM
Um, dual USB iBooks DO have FireWire.

applecollector
28th September 2005, 09:17 AM
Yep it has firewire, managed to install it via Firewire in Target Disk Mode.

Thankyou to everyone who helped me out!

purana
28th September 2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Sep 26 2005, 03:29 PM
Um, dual USB iBooks DO have FireWire.
They do, then why on earth did the poster waste time on USB.. firewire is the best... and target disk mode is the best function on a machine :)

PS. And I will say what I said while doing certification along with everyone else, why on earth can't apple name models in a much nicer fashion.. Dual USB.. what sort of name is that for a model. And yes I dont know all the models well, who could when your not been a fan from day dot :)