PDA

View Full Version : Missing MBP refurb models

AdamR
29th July 2010, 01:58 PM
I am keen to buy a new refurb MBP15 2.6GHz i7. The apple refurb store, and refurb.me both only show either the standard res glossy (1440x900) or the high res 'antiglare' (1600x1050).

I would prefer the high res glossy, which is a BTO option (as is the antiglare).

I know that with refurbs you get what is available, but it seems that the high res glossy never appears on the refurb store (it is not availabe on the refurb.me listing for the US either). I also know that refurbs often come with slightly better specs than advertised (eg, my current MBP came with a 7200rmp drive rather than a 5200).

I would guess that most people springing for the highest end MBP15 are going to want the high res option. Agree?

If so, then would it be the case that a machine advertised as a standard res glossy would be likely to come with a high res glossy screen. Has anyone had that experience for this model?

Is there any benefit in calling apple?

Huy
29th July 2010, 02:00 PM
If you want glossy, I'd say go get it new.

Personally I think you're never going to see it on the refurb store.

AdamR
31st July 2010, 07:43 PM
Has anyone had experience with refurb purchases being higher-spec than described? What sorts of things have people noticed with refurb Macs (and notebooks in particular)?

shu
31st July 2010, 08:03 PM
I would say don't bank on getting lucky with refurbs..

I've bought three refurbs (mbp, imac and a mini) and were all specced as advertised

idiesel
31st July 2010, 11:47 PM
Has anyone had experience with refurb purchases being higher-spec than described? What sorts of things have people noticed with refurb Macs (and notebooks in particular)?

There was a spate of buyers ordering an i5 iMac and getting the i7.

thats awesome
1st August 2010, 01:18 AM
There was a spate of buyers ordering an i5 iMac and getting the i7.

I remember this happening for the iMacs. Not sure about the Macbook Pros' though.

I brought an i7 from JB HI FI.

Could not be happier =)

bartron
1st August 2010, 08:06 AM

Not a notebook but I bought a refurb 2.4 24" imac and they delivered a 2.8 instead. I just purchased a 27" i5....I'll let you know i an i7 turns up but I'm not expecting anything.

The refurb store is a bit of a lucky dip and what you see is what you get. If you want to have BTO options then you need to buy new.

AdamR
1st August 2010, 10:07 AM
I understand the lucky dip aspect. I have bought two refurbs. One as advertised. One with a 7200RPM drive rather than 5200.

My OP was more about whether there was any point waiting for a different configuration to be posted on the refurb store. If the high-res glossy config is never advertised, there is no point waiting. I will order the cheaper standard-res glossy and take my chances.

nibbles
2nd August 2010, 02:39 PM
Why don't you ring 133-MAC and see whether they have other details on them, I have heard of a few people buying refurbs that aren't on the online store.

LedCop
8th August 2010, 01:08 PM
Hmm, if you're still looking, I'm actually planning to sell off my hi-res glossy 15" 2.66 i7. Reason being that I really want the 17" after all. If you don't mind it not being refurbished, I'm willing to sell it off for around the price you'd have to pay for the refurb 15" 2.66 i7 standard res.

It was bought brand new from the online Apple store just over two months ago and is still in as new condition.

Sigh, if I had made the decision within the two week return period I might have a 17" now and my hi-res glossy would have gone to the refurb store and then into your possession.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested and have any questions, and we'll see if we can work something out.