PDA

View Full Version : An apple way to move pics iTunes library from mbp to iMac ?

nando
29th July 2010, 12:39 AM
So am wondering if there's a clean way to move pics , calendar events , iTunes (music, iPhone/iPad apps), video from my 3yr old mbp to a new iMac
Might get an iMac soon, so very interested in knowing if there is a preferred way to move this content?
I mean the other way for me might be for music...
To put all my music and videos on a ext hdd and then copy them across.
For apps...i was thinking move all my apps into my ipad and then sync them to the new iMac...

So if you guys have any suggestions,,or u know of an apple way of doing this..will be mostly appreciated

Vojtin
29th July 2010, 12:43 AM
Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3322)

coranda
29th July 2010, 02:00 AM
In fact, when you boot up your new machine it will ask you if you want to migrate files from another Mac and then lead you through the process (best done with a firewire cable if possible). The only issue you will have after migration is re-activating or re-entering serial numbers for any software that licenses itself to a particular machine.

nando
29th July 2010, 09:42 PM
Ah ok thanks... So there is no way of just migrating the itunes content?

route74
29th July 2010, 11:50 PM
I used that Migration Assistant and it caused no end of troubles for me going from MBP to iMac. I had to start from scratch. Itunes was a bugger too cos as far as I can tell, there is NO way to take a direct replica from one machine to another. By direct replica I mean as far as moving a library with it's currently deselected music also!

rrs
30th July 2010, 06:03 PM
My only advice is to only use Migration Assistant with a Firewire cable, don't use Migration Assistant with an Ethernet cable. I tried and failed last night.

nando
31st July 2010, 07:31 AM
Ahok thanks... I will try with FireWire ....Else I will move it manually via an external hdd
Doesn't iTunes allow you to share on several computers? I though that was an addition to the ew iTunes ??