PDA

View Full Version : Transfer from Mac to Mac

tonyberinson
28th July 2010, 08:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I am buying a new i7 macbook and have an old 2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I want to transfer everything from one machine to the other - apps, pics, everything.

One machine is running 10.5.8 the other Snow Leopard.

If I book in at the Apple Store Genius - can they transfer everything?

Thanks

Tony

MightyAtom
28th July 2010, 08:59 PM
I somehow doubt a Genius will be willing to do that. When you first boot the new Mac connect it to the old one either via FireWire or Ethernet and run Migration Assistant when setup prompts you. It will automatically do what you want.

EDIT: if you could get a Genius to do it this is exactly what they would do anyway.

tonyberinson
28th July 2010, 09:20 PM
U really dont think the genuis would do it? - thats a bumma - I better call tomorrow and check.

Migration Assistant would be fine - but will it let me transfer from Leopard to Snow Leopard?

MightyAtom
28th July 2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I doubt the Apple store would be interested. Depending on how much data you have it will take hours to complete. There's a reason they built Migration Assistant into the Setup Assistant. I've never had a problem migrating from an older version of OS X.

tonyberinson
28th July 2010, 09:33 PM
thanks mighty - appreciate the feedback

Rust
28th July 2010, 10:04 PM
You can do that or just plug an external HDD into your old laptop and do a full time machine backup then restore the entire mac to your new laptop, problem solved :)

Chief911
28th July 2010, 10:37 PM
the other option is:

using firewire cable connected to both computers, turn the current computer on and hold down (command + T) until you get a transfer logo floating on the screen, and on the new computer the HDD will show up and you can just drag n drop what you want....