PDA

View Full Version : re-install of second hand macbook

dsjohnson
28th July 2010, 04:29 PM
Hi there,

Just wondering as a mate bought an macbook secondhand from ebay that arrived with no disc with it.
It is an intel but what model i am not exactly sure.
I think he said leopard.

I have a late 2009 macbook and a new imac and am wondering if i would be able to use any of these discs to do re-install of his macbook with my discs?

Any help would be appreciated as i have only been a mac user for a little over a month and wish i had done sooner.

Thanks
DAN

LCGuy
28th July 2010, 04:43 PM
Nah, install discs that are specific to a machine (for example, your iMac) can only be used with that model machine. You'll have to either find install discs that are specific to your model MacBook (I'd imagine Apple would probably be able to send you some for a fee), or buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard (get the Mac Box Set if you want iWork/iLife as well)

Brains
28th July 2010, 04:55 PM
Most of the time, a set of discs from a new machine can install OSX (but not iLife or bundled apps) onto an older one.

The model number will be on the identity sticker, which is either inside the battery bay (if it is a removable battery) or etched into the underside. It is possible to ring Apple's help support phone number, give them the machine's serial number, and they can post out a set of discs for that machine for about A$35.

dsjohnson
28th July 2010, 06:00 PM
So the osx disc that came with my macbook wont install onto anything earlier even if intel ?

What if as BRAINS said that it may install will it be identifiable that it was my disc used ?

Sorry for the questions

Dan

LCGuy
28th July 2010, 06:18 PM
As Brains said, you might be able to install Mac OS X from your MacBook discs, but iLife is definitely out. If you do manage to install using your discs, the resulting install will be identical to an install performed from any other set of discs, there'll be no way to tell which it came from.

dsjohnson
28th July 2010, 06:26 PM
Hey thanks for your replies guys