PDA

View Full Version : Lcd Help

zillatron
24th September 2005, 11:12 PM
Hi everyone...

Ok here is my delima - I have an ibook and a PC for games.
Eventually i'll upgrade to a powerbook.

I'm thinking of throwing out this lump of CRT eating my desk, and getting an LCD, an Apple one of course! ;)

Looking at the 20", at the moment and i relise that the ibook wont be able to drive the thing at full res, no problem. PC will manage fine though.

But how the crap am I going to have the LCD setup with my powerbook (eventually) and the PC so i can switch between them easily? switch box? :(

I know alot of LCD's have DVI and HD15 inputs that you can plug in to 2 different places and switch between them - can I do this on an Apple LCD? Looking on the site it appears it has a single DVI input....so i'm stuck.

Unless i get some other cheese brand LCD with 2 inputs.

hmmm - i'm lost (sorry if this sounds confusing, i'm tired.)

Any suggestions very much welcome :thumbup:

Z

dev_enter
24th September 2005, 11:20 PM
Sounds like you're after a DVI KVM Switch.

BiRDBRAiN
25th September 2005, 01:15 PM
No offense, unless you are getting a cinema display, there are other "cheese" brands such as Samsung that do quite nicely and cost a bit less than apple brand LCDs.

And yes, a DVI KVM is probably what you are after.

Mac Aid
26th September 2005, 07:53 AM
Unfortunatly, an iBook wont drive a cinema display at all.

The cinema display is DVI (D) and the iBook only has VGA (analogue).

The powerbook will be fine though.

DVI KVM's are very expensive, so I agree with BiRDBRAiN, unless you are really set on the apple display, I'd look at a high quality 3rd party display, such as samsung.

symean
26th September 2005, 08:08 AM
Yes, go Samsung. They offer zero dead pixels within the first week on all their 17" and above displays, and you can get one NEW for under $300. Generally they're very good quality.

I have a 713N, it's not wide-aspect like Apple's Cinema displays, but it uses VGA which is good for you, and has 300:1 brightness and 600:1 contrast which, for a display you can get on eBay brand new with warranty and zero-dead-pxel guarantee for under $300, is very good for the price point.

Plus it pivots and has a nice simple design to match Apple's gaear.

Cheers :D

zillatron
26th September 2005, 08:34 AM
Thaks for all your comments! :thumbup:

symean, I was looking at a samsung (730B). Sounds like your pretty happy with yours!

Mac aid - thanks for the clraification!

Z :D

Flinders1231
26th September 2005, 08:45 AM
So if I have an iMac is there anyway to get a PC to use monitor & seamlessly switch between PC & Mac?

zillatron
26th September 2005, 09:35 AM
Flinders,

Do you mean use the iMac's LCD to switch between the PC and the mac?

Its not really the same, but at the moment, i have Desktop manager running 4 desktops.

On one of them i run Remote desktop fullscreen so i can use my windows box just like another desktop on the mac.

If you can understand that... :D

Its no good for games or anything, but it does let you use the windows box without much effort.

Z :thumbup:

Flinders1231
26th September 2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by zillatron@Sep 26 2005, 09:35 AM
Do you mean use the iMac's LCD to switch between the PC and the mac?

Its not really the same, but at the moment, i have Desktop manager running 4 desktops.

On one of them i run Remote desktop fullscreen so i can use my windows box just like another desktop on the mac.

If you can understand that... :D
Well yes & no ;-)

I use an iMac but have a PC Box with a CRT Monitor side by side - is there any way of getting rid of CRT & using iMac monitor for PC. A step by step guide is need for this dummy .. ;-)

zillatron
26th September 2005, 10:30 AM
I use an iMac but have a PC Box with a CRT Monitor side by side - is there any way of getting rid of CRT & using iMac monitor for PC.

So you have an iMac and a PC with a CRT next to the iMac.

I dont think you can use the internal iMac screen for anything other than the iMac, so you would need an external LCD (like me).

Or you could use Remote Desktop and desktop manager if your not too worried about having them side by side :D

Z :thumbup: