PDA

View Full Version : Networking For Macs (without Ethernet)

timwallG5
24th September 2005, 08:21 PM
I have a Performa 6200 running OS 8.1. I would like to network the Performa with my iMac G5. The trouble is, the Performa has no in-built Ethernet. It only has the early MODEM and PRINTER serial ports. Is there any way to network the iMac and the Performa?

If there IS a way to physically connect them (via an adapter) how could it be set up? (OS wise)

samuelclarke
24th September 2005, 09:18 PM
I would've said FireWire, but the OS 8 mac doesn't have that! :D

There might be some adapters available that convert serial to ethernet or firewire, but I've not needed any because all my macs have had ethernet and firewire.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you all that much. ;)

timwallG5
24th September 2005, 09:25 PM
I have a serial to ethernet cable adaptor, but it seems not to work. It may be down to the software side of it.

I try plugging it into the router, but it's not detected. What things do I have to enable in the OS to get my iMac to connect to the Performa and exchange files with it?

I'd also like to go on the 'net on the Performa, but this is not necessary.

Danamania
24th September 2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by timwallG5@Sep 24 2005, 08:21 PM
I have a Performa 6200 running OS 8.1. I would like to network the Performa with my iMac G5. The trouble is, the Performa has no in-built Ethernet. It only has the early MODEM and PRINTER serial ports. Is there any way to network the iMac and the Performa?

If there IS a way to physically connect them (via an adapter) how could it be set up? (OS wise)
The simplest most supported option would be to find an LCPDS or a COMM SLOT 1 ethernet card for it. Either or both will work, and give you plain old ethernet for not much more than about $15 if you look around.

dana

timwallG5
24th September 2005, 09:42 PM
Where could such a card be bought? (I don't really wan't to use eBay)
Thanks for your help.

Danamania
24th September 2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by timwallG5@Sep 24 2005, 09:42 PM
Where could such a card be bought? (I don't really wan't to use eBay)
Thanks for your help.
eBay is the usual - or go to somewhere like http://www.68kmla.net/ or http://www.applefritter.com/ and post in the forums that you want to buy a network card for that machine. Plenty of enthusiasts there.

dana

geektechnu
24th September 2005, 10:19 PM
Try contacting the people at http://www.macintouch.net.au/

Checking out the site - go to the "Kitchen Sink" page and look under "Cards":
- ComSlot Ethernet Card Thin Coax NEW $50
- ComSlot Ethernet Card Thin Coax Secondhand $35

MacNoosa
24th September 2005, 10:36 PM
Hi,
I can offer you two solutions:
1) I think I have a PCI Ethernet card left;
2) I have a number of Apple phone connectors/Local Talk left; in that case you need a device called Asante Talk that bridges your Local Talk Network and your Ethernet network.
I can also sell you that Asante Talk device (original in box)

I have used Asante Talk to connect my old Local Talk Apple Laserwriters to the Ethernet network and print from OS X machines to these old Laserwriters.

Regards,
MacNoosa
Email me direct: macnoosa@tpg.com.au

LCGuy
25th September 2005, 02:31 PM
MacNoosa: That PCI ethernet card wouldn't work, as the Performa 6200 has no PCI slots, it just has the old style LC PDS and Communications slots. As Dana said, your best bet is to get a LC PDS or Communications slot ethernet card. The cards that geektechnu was talking about won't work either, as i believe that they have BNC connectors, whereas you need a card with an RJ-45 (10BaseT) connector, like the one on the iMac G5.

Byrd
25th September 2005, 03:22 PM
If you put a WTB on here for a Commslot 1 ethernet card, I'm sure you'll get one. I've three - but all in use :)

Don't pay more than $10 for one. If in Melbourne, check out Applebits in Oakleigh (but they'll be more than $10).

JB

LCGuy
25th September 2005, 03:38 PM
One other thing, you'll need to make sure its a CommSlot 1 card, not a CommSlot 2 card, as the Performa 6200 has a CommSlot 1 slot, and you can't put a CommSlot 2 card in a CommSlot 1 slot or vice versa.

timwallG5
25th September 2005, 03:45 PM
If I can't get a Comm card for it, is there any way (software wise) to link the iMac with the eMac via the Serial to Ethernet adapter cable?

MacNoosa
25th September 2005, 04:00 PM
In my view, and from my own experience, the most straightforward way to achieve this, is getting a couple of phone net connectors, Local Talk cables and the Asante Talk (the only device I think ever made to bridge Local Talk and Ethernet Networks) and use either of your Macs serial ports.
Regards,
MacNoosa
macnoosa@tpg.com.au