PDA

View Full Version : iPhone outright and going on a cap

Sambo
27th July 2010, 07:27 PM
If I was to purchase an iPhone direct from Apple (online), would I then be able to go on one of the recently announced iPhone caps from providers? Would that then be signing me up to the 24mth contract of the cap also? That would kind of defeat the main purpose of an unlocked iPhone for me. Anyone got experience with 3G and 3GS?

Bradster
27th July 2010, 07:39 PM
If I was to purchase an iPhone direct from Apple (online), would I then be able to go on one of the recently announced iPhone caps from providers? Would that then be signing me up to the 24mth contract of the cap also? That would kind of defeat the main purpose of an unlocked iPhone for me. Anyone got experience with 3G and 3GS?
You can use whatever Phone network sim you want, as long as it's not an iPad sim (these have voice disabled in them).

You can go on a Cap contract if you really want, but you don't have to - there are Caps you can go on that don't require a locked contract for a certain amount of time.

I'm on TPG (OPTUS), which only requires one month's notice to cancel using their service.

Hope this helps.

alexzam93
27th July 2010, 08:36 PM
If I order on friday will it arrive on saturday or will I have to wait until the end of the weekend?

Supblek
27th July 2010, 08:51 PM
If I order on friday will it arrive on saturday or will I have to wait until the end of the weekend?

I believe you will wait til Monday. The next working day. Thats from experience.

olfella
27th July 2010, 08:57 PM
If I was to purchase an iPhone direct from Apple (online), would I then be able to go on one of the recently announced iPhone caps from providers? Would that then be signing me up to the 24mth contract of the cap also? That would kind of defeat the main purpose of an unlocked iPhone for me. Anyone got experience with 3G and 3GS? I looked at the Aus Apple site and it indicated that it may be cheaper to buy through a telco on a plan. So I think you are in the same situation as me - Do I buy outright and go where and when I like or go on a plan and be locked in for two years.

Then there is Mobile Me and the protection plan aspect - would the repair turn around be as good with a telco as it is with Apple direct?

jok3r
27th July 2010, 09:07 PM
The contract prices are sweet and Telstra being reasonable competitive, it does make the outright vs plan a little harder.
I have the cash to go outright, im still leaning towards it. considering i got on the Telstra Friends and Family offer, so if i use very little for the month my overall cost decreases.