PDA

View Full Version : Work around for Video Calling/large downloads via 3G?

The_Hawk
27th July 2010, 01:02 PM
I keep considering jailbreaking, but would like to avoid it. I was thinking about the whole face time thing and thinking it would be cool to talk to the kids, except of course that while my wife at home would have WiFi, I'm out and about without anything but an iPhone to tether to.

Then it occurred to me...

Since I usually have my laptop with me, would I be about to tether to my iPhone via bluetooth, then share the connection via the MBP via WiFi back to the iPhone to get around this limitation :)

As it turns out, the answer is yes, yes you can.

I have just tried downloading "Need For Speed Shift FREE (World)" from the app store from the iPhone. First attempt and BAM it tells me I need to connect to WiFi...

Turn on the sharing, hit download and away it goes.

iStat Menu's is showing data in and out, so it's definitely doing what I'm asking and while I'm sure it's going to suck battery like no tomorrow, it's a means to an ends when your out and want to do things like this (sure I could just download to the lappy then sync, but this is more a case of because I can :P).

On a side note, is there a Face Time app for Mac? That would also solve my problem ;)