PDA

View Full Version : Os X And Xp

TimAnAussie
24th September 2005, 11:47 AM
Hi there,,,
If I partition my hard Drive, will i be able to have OS X on one volume and WindowsXP on another ?

The Architect.mac
24th September 2005, 11:59 AM
Negative ghostrider

This answer applies to owning a PC or a Mac

Maybe in a year or so?

Cheers

Mac Aid
24th September 2005, 01:32 PM
I would have thought that if you first partition the drive in the PC with 2 FAT32 (not NTFS) partitions, and then erase the second partition in your mac as HFS+, you should be able to do it. The PC would need to have the first voluem, and the mac the second.

Worth a try in any case, unless of course someone can say why it wouldn't work.

The Architect.mac
24th September 2005, 01:42 PM
Sure as an external drive - and you might be able to boot from the Windows partition on a PC and you might be able to boot from the OSX on a Mac, but no way is a drive placed inside either PC or Mac going to boot from both partitions, otherwise this would be common practise, no need for VPC, the MacTel thing would not be a big deal re this issue, and there would be an article about how do it here on AppleTalkAU

EDIT - scratch even the first idea because one platform is going to want to own the physical drive if it is to be bootable

Johnny Appleseed
24th September 2005, 03:28 PM
So can you partition a single HD with different formats? I presume this will be necessary to dual-boot the Macintels...

LCGuy
24th September 2005, 05:28 PM
Yep, you can partition a single HD with different formats. Thats how a lot of people will set up their Mactels.

timwallG5
24th September 2005, 08:28 PM
At the present time, you can't install Windows on a Mac without VirtualPC. This isn't to do with any hard-drive issues, it's to do with the Mac's processor. It's a PowerPC, which means it has an incompatible architecture. (By the way, Intels use the x86 architecture, which is emulated by VirtualPC.

Perhaps in 2007-8 when the Intel Macs arrive you could dual-boot with Windows. But, why would you want to?

VirtualPC runs Windows fairly (FAIRLY) well, so you could run most of your programs in that.