PDA

View Full Version : Entourage font issues

Febs
27th July 2004, 12:30 AM
Hi guys.

So I got home and installed my (free) copy of Office:Mac 2004 tonight, but was a bit disappointed when I saw how Entourage:Mac 2004 handles fonts.

I could go into detail, but the link below does a much better job than I could. In a nutshell, the problem (as described by someone from MS) is:

As part of our switch to the ATSUI APIs, due to some limitations in
ATSUI, we could not display non-anti-aliased Monaco with the correct
spacing and also show anti-aliased text correctly. I tried very hard to
find a way to do this, and talked to the ATSUI developers at Apple, but
I couldn't come up with a solution. I don't know of any workaround.

As a result, Monaco 9 (which many use for displaying e-mail, with AA off) becomes quite hard to read. This is a quick comparison I did between v.X and 2004:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/febs/images/vx-2004.jpg

This website has a workaround, which involves installing a font called "ProFontISOLatin". It's close enough for me to Monaco 9 AA off...so I'm happy (I was about to revert back to Entourage v.X). If anyone else is having issues with Entourage displaying fonts strangely, try this:

http://newgeo.com/monaco/

Cheers,
- Febs.

stickman67
27th July 2004, 10:17 AM
Just out of interest (I have Entourage 2004 as part of the Office package, but am using Mail.app at the moment because of some "history" with Entourage -- corrupt database files! Grr!), if you can change the default font from Monaco to ProFontISOLatin, then I'm guessing you can probably change it to any other font. So is it necessary to download PFISOL ( :P )?

I hope that doesn't sound like a smartarse question -- it's not meant to be. I guess what I'm asking is whether this other font is the only one that will work, or can you pick another without having to download it? :)

Febs
27th July 2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by stickman67@Jul 27 2004, 10:17 AM
Just out of interest (I have Entourage 2004 as part of the Office package, but am using Mail.app at the moment because of some "history" with Entourage -- corrupt database files! Grr!), if you can change the default font from Monaco to ProFontISOLatin, then I'm guessing you can probably change it to any other font. So is it necessary to download PFISOL ( :P )?
Haha...yeah, good point.

Yeah you can change it to any other font you like, but I just couldn't find anything close to Monaco. Having used Entourage for years with Monaco 9pt, anything else just seemed too weird. :)