PDA

View Full Version : Sell to upgrade?

Diva_Jes
26th July 2010, 07:27 AM
As an amateur in the iPhone release thing, I was wondering what all the awesome MacTalk veterans think...

I was one of those silly people who was anti iPhone when they were first released here ("It can't even send MMS, why the F would I get a phone like that?") so I ended up with a Nokia N95 (Worst. Phone. EVER!)
Anyway, after 6 months I was fed up and got an iPhone (in May 2009)
So shortly after that, the 3Gs was released. I wasn't happy.

Anyway... I now want an iPhone 4, but have about 10 months left on my contract (with Optus)
I'm thinking of selling my 3G to pay the early upgrade fee.

My questions are:
1. At the moment, white 16GB 3G are going for about $300-500 on eBay. Mine has had a screen protector and a case on it 100% of the time. Do you think that the price will drop dramatically between now and Friday?
2. Can anyone who works at Optus tell me what a rough payout figure would be at this stage of my contract?

If there are answers to these questions already, I apologise and could you please link me. I am horrible at using the search on forums :confused:

DeKa
26th July 2010, 07:47 AM
Why don't you just buy an iPhone 4 outright, sell your 3G after you get the new one, and live happily ever after, contract free. SIM-only deals get you the same amount of data/calls for less money without the built in cost of the iPhone in the plan fee.

Diva_Jes
26th July 2010, 07:54 AM
Why don't you just buy an iPhone 4 outright, sell your 3G after you get the new one, and live happily ever after, contract free. SIM-only deals get you the same amount of data/calls for less money without the built in cost of the iPhone in the plan fee.

In a perfect world, I would, alas, I don't have a spare $500-$600 (depending on when we getting the effing pricing of the things! :angry:) to add to the (possible) $400 that I'd get from eBay...

Contract is my only way to get my grubby hands on an iPhone. :(

c00ni
26th July 2010, 11:16 AM
I sold my 2 year old 16gb 3G that hadn't had any kind of case or protection for $440 over the weekend. There were scruff marks on the back and bezel. Some well "preserved" ones sold for less than that, depends (I think) on how smart you are when you sell it. ie. what time the auction ends (Sunday night), starting price ($0.01), nice photos and a decent description of exactly what the buyer is getting.

Diva_Jes
26th July 2010, 02:45 PM
I sold my 2 year old 16gb 3G that hadn't had any kind of case or protection for $440 over the weekend. There were scruff marks on the back and bezel. Some well "preserved" ones sold for less than that, depends (I think) on how smart you are when you sell it. ie. what time the auction ends (Sunday night), starting price ($0.01), nice photos and a decent description of exactly what the buyer is getting.

Thanks C00ni
I just popped into the local Optus shop and probed them RE: Early upgrade fees/discounts like they did last year, he wasn't sure (of course) but he actually brought it up more than i did, so hopefully he's onto something... i guess ill know friday... Might have to put the phone online and see how i go... put a reserve on it or something?

c00ni
26th July 2010, 02:51 PM
Don't need a reserve, there's no chance of it ending anywhere close to $0.01.

skritter
26th July 2010, 03:12 PM
You need to "Trust the Force" when it come to eBay.

$0.01 starting price is the best way to go.

Auctions are always an emotional thing. And if you can get multiple people invested in the same auction you can only be on a winner. Who is not going to put a bid in for .01c. Then you get a second in for a couple of dollars. And if all is good 3,4 and 5 or more for a few of dollars more. Then watch the race run.

If you put a high reserve on it you achieve 2 things. eBay will want more money off you for fees and you will scare away multiple bidders after a good deal.

beatmasterbee
26th July 2010, 03:29 PM
My questions are:
1. At the moment, white 16GB 3G are going for about $300-500 on eBay. Mine has had a screen protector and a case on it 100% of the time. Do you think that the price will drop dramatically between now and Friday?
:

Sometimes you will get lucky. I just sold my 32GB 3GS which i bought on launch day last year for $950 on eBay. I started the bidding at $5 for a 3 day auction.

Diva_Jes
26th July 2010, 05:14 PM
Sometimes you will get lucky. I just sold my 32GB 3GS which i bought on launch day last year for $950 on eBay. I started the bidding at $5 for a 3 day auction.

Thanks Guys!
Yeah, i was planning on starting it low, but having a reserve of about $350-$400 just incase i dont want it to go for $200...

hmm... i dont want to upgrade if im not going to get the cash for the phone, so perhaps ill end up waiting till monday (fat chance, i know!)

c00ni
26th July 2010, 05:46 PM
You won't need to set a reserve. Even broken ones sell for more than that.

imacattack
26th July 2010, 06:07 PM
Just wait till the iphone4 is released you might be offered a free upgrade like most of us got when the 3GS was released the only catch was that your contract was renewed for 24mths. I am hoping for the same again.

sugarfree
26th July 2010, 07:08 PM
So you mean set the auction to end on a Sunday night?
I have a mint 3GS I want to sell as well and I've never sold anything on ebay before.

What happens if you set a low reserve and you get bugger all bids? Do you have to sell it to the highest bid, even if it is a crap price?
Or can you withdraw it?

Diva_Jes
26th July 2010, 08:03 PM
Just wait till the iphone4 is released you might be offered a free upgrade like most of us got when the 3GS was released the only catch was that your contract was renewed for 24mths. I am hoping for the same again.

It def wont be a free upgrade, i asked about my payout figure today, $570 (including handset repayments)
If they halve that, i should shit it in with a sale on ebay yeah?

imacattack
26th July 2010, 09:26 PM
It def wont be a free upgrade, i asked about my payout figure today, $570 (including handset repayments)
If they halve that, i should shit it in with a sale on ebay yeah?

Just wait is all I can say I got this with my 3GS a free upgrade from the 3G I can't see why they won't do it again after I spoke to an Optus rep with an aussie voice "I can't confirm it now but there is a very high possibility we will do it again just as before with our loyal customers" hence why I will wait and see.

Diva_Jes
26th July 2010, 09:47 PM
Just wait is all I can say I got this with my 3GS a free upgrade from the 3G I can't see why they won't do it again after I spoke to an Optus rep with an aussie voice "I can't confirm it now but there is a very high possibility we will do it again just as before with our loyal customers" hence why I will wait and see.

While that sounds very nice, im not sure how much i want to believe it and get my hopes up... my luck is, it wont happen and ill be stuck with an iphone thats 2 gen's old, even though its only a year old itself...

If i had a 3Gs, id be happy to wait till next year, it just pisses me off that iOS4 doesnt work on 3G iphones well... i havent even bothered to update it.

I so hope you're right Attack!! *crosses fingers, toes and any other body part capable of the action :confused:*

EDIT: Why was the upgrade free? i thought it was just a discount of 50% off... did you get thatas soon as the 3Gs was released?

My theory on the upgrade discount is, last year, the 3Gs wasnt a HUGE change, so existing customers were probably less likely to upgrade and sign up for another 24 months, so they sweetened the deal... this time, its a massive change, so people will upgrade regardless... Does that make sense?

imacattack
26th July 2010, 09:52 PM
The best thing about iPhones they always sell for a few hundred for a long time unlike the other phones around.

If your using the 3G iphone try disabling spotlight I have done this on my 3GS and it has picked up speed I learned this today via a twitter & youtube.

beatmasterbee
26th July 2010, 10:37 PM
So you mean set the auction to end on a Sunday night?
I have a mint 3GS I want to sell as well and I've never sold anything on ebay before.

What happens if you set a low reserve and you get bugger all bids? Do you have to sell it to the highest bid, even if it is a crap price?
Or can you withdraw it?

no i listed it on fri at about 1.30pm to end on mon at 1.30pm. never post auctions to end on a weekend...you will lose the prospective buyers who only ebay from work.

you will never get bugger all bids for an iphone...its one of the hottest items on ebay. dont set a reserve either as it turns people off bidding.

you have to sell it to the highest bidder you cant withdraw it. if your 3GS is in mint condition and you have the original box you should easily get around $700 for it (for 32GB).