PDA

View Full Version : The "Where are you lining up for your iPhone 4?!" Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Blaqjaq
20th July 2010, 10:33 PM
So what's the plan?

I'll be getting there around 1 or 2am, hoping they will open at 6am or so but certainly not expecting it....

Will be the mrs and I :)

Fedgrub
20th July 2010, 10:51 PM
Who is heading down to chermside Apple store on the 29/30th? I plan to be there, hoping security let me in from the cold!

supafly
20th July 2010, 10:59 PM
Seems like I will be joining you!

topgearguy
20th July 2010, 11:19 PM
I will be no where near the apple store. I'll be at the closest vodafone dealer signing up to a plan.

Hopefully the masses go to the apple store and garden city isn't congested :P does anyone know if it was last year?

db9
20th July 2010, 11:21 PM
ill be there if the white iphone is :D

tom_mclean
20th July 2010, 11:23 PM
Can you buy an iPhone and sign up for a new contract with a provider at the Apple Store or do you need to go to the telco?

GlossyMac
20th July 2010, 11:28 PM
Vodafone - nobody.. at all..

Blaqjaq
20th July 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm hoping that with Perth being the credit capital of Australia, that few will be buying it outright and the Apple store will be quiet

Probably dreaming but hey!

topgearguy
20th July 2010, 11:34 PM
Vodafone - nobody.. at all..

Really? The garden city store? If so, you've just made me very happy :)

GlossyMac
20th July 2010, 11:44 PM
^Yep the Garden City store.. I was at the Optus store re-signing my life to them.
In regards to the Apple Store - I'm probably going to go. I want to be one of the first in so that I can be out quickly. Sleeping bag + iPad may be my 2 new best friends.. I'm leaning at leaving home at 1ish and sleeping there, overnight.. I'd like for there to be some official "in the line" threads so that we can have some updates. Who else may be camping?

VOOK
21st July 2010, 12:14 AM
Dunno what I'm gonna do, I got a $20 voucher for all the trouble I had with my iPad when I tried delivery so might use that and yeah RISK it with delivery.

I hope there is instore pickup option, that would be great as I can't really afford to line up on a work day.

I'll find out what's happening at other stores first too.

As usual, have to wait.

ellsab
21st July 2010, 07:41 AM
Does anyone know if you can order before? I'm still in two minds to change from Optus to Vodafone?

Fedgrub
21st July 2010, 08:03 AM
Not sure about preorders which is why I'll be lining up for the first time. What time have you chermside folk arrived before, and what was the queue size like at that time?

Fedgrub
21st July 2010, 02:48 PM
Actually, has anyone lined up there before?

Do you line up outside the Dan murphys entrance?

Devil rolla
21st July 2010, 03:06 PM
woolworths, from the ipad launch thread.

MacDub
21st July 2010, 03:12 PM
Can you buy an iPhone and sign up for a new contract with a provider at the Apple Store or do you need to go to the telco?

Last year, with the 3GS there were 2 lines outside the Apple store in Doncaster.
One for outright iPhone purchases, the other for carrier purchases (Optus, Vodafone and Telstra were all represented)
The outright purchase line was outside of the store at 9am whilst the carrier queue was completely empty.

Fedgrub
21st July 2010, 03:47 PM
woolworths, from the ipad launch thread.

Thanks man. Will I see you there?

Devil rolla
21st July 2010, 04:15 PM
gah, don't tempt me. The Financial Director has already said no, but i've taken the day off "just in case"...so who knows. lol

iko
21st July 2010, 04:30 PM
Since Friday I check on an almost hourly basis this forum and the Apple Store to see any updates on the iPhone 4.

I read about meet up´s in Perth and this thread in Chermside. Anyone will be waiting in Bondi, Chatswood, or Sydney´s CBD?

I never camped on a cold night in the middle of a city to buy something but because I don´t work on Friday 30 July I was thinking to do it for the first time. I even don´t know what to bring (http://gizmodo.com/5013402/line-camping-tips-and-gadgets-for-the-3g-iphone-launch) if finally I decide to go.

I wish they organize a proper pre-orders on the web so I would be able to avoid all that.

By the way, I also hope the iPhone 4 32GB cost less than $1000 because this is the limit of my Visa Debit Card ;)

Jaymz
21st July 2010, 05:54 PM
Normally I'd just place an order online and wait, but I'm off to Melbourne on the 2nd, so I'm seriously contemplating this. Time to put leave in for Friday!

Fedgrub
21st July 2010, 06:38 PM
gah, don't tempt me. The Financial Director has already said no, but i've taken the day off "just in case"...so who knows. lol

Lol alright. Let me know if you get attendance approval.

marcmarcdv
21st July 2010, 06:43 PM
Is anyone going to line up at chaddy on the 29th? An wat time?

gareth
21st July 2010, 06:51 PM
How do you actually line up at chaddy ? They let you inside overnight ?

marcmarcdv
21st July 2010, 07:00 PM
I dnt know... That's wat I'm tryin to worked out? An i wanna know where about we can start line up from?

muhamadoikubaru
21st July 2010, 07:18 PM
I'm planning on lining up at Chadstone as well. From what I've heard, you have to line up outside somewhere, and then they let you in to the mall pretty early in the morning, and then you can line up in front of the Apple store itself. Can anyone who lined up for the iPad verify this?

Phillo
21st July 2010, 07:28 PM
I havent decided where I am going yet.

I will either go to chaddy or doncaster.

That said... all carriers have retail presence at both sites (just in case).

marcmarcdv
21st July 2010, 07:31 PM
Where do we start to line up from? Where's about?

d_mini
21st July 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm going to line up. Not too early though. Maybe around 7am? I'm sure you will be able to get in through some entrance around that time.

klif
21st July 2010, 10:10 PM
With the chance of pre-order disappearing rapidly, I might have to consider joining a queue ;( Have to rely on public transport to get to chaddy though so that will dictate what time I could get there.

Unless of course Telstra has a decent plan, then I'll just head to T-Life in the City.

babypoppop
21st July 2010, 10:29 PM
I'm going to line up. Not too early though. Maybe around 7am? I'm sure you will be able to get in through some entrance around that time.

yea. i plan to go around that time too as i don't feel like spending the night there.

Nisstrust
21st July 2010, 10:29 PM
i would join the queue if i had enough cash for the new iphone haha.. unfortunately my early adopter mentality is on hold for the timebeing :)

gareth
21st July 2010, 10:52 PM
Apple store will open at 8am I would get there way before 7

And can you pay with cash ?

Cage123
22nd July 2010, 09:11 AM
When REV B arrives, i MIGHT line up. No way will I be paying for a device that I know is not 100%.

NORMANDY
22nd July 2010, 09:41 AM
when has that been true of any device?

susiegb
22nd July 2010, 11:08 AM
Normally I'd just place an order online and wait, but I'm off to Melbourne on the 2nd, so I'm seriously contemplating this. Time to put leave in for Friday!

Yes, but are they going to let us place an order online?!! I'm thinking about going to Chermside - was actually going to go there this Saturday to check it out! But I doubt I'd get there much before 8am on the 30th ... :)

Cage123
22nd July 2010, 11:18 AM
when has that been true of any device.

True - but buyer beware is all I can say. You wait, end of the month this forum will be full of issues people will have with this new iPhone, fully knowing already that it has issues. Let em go I say.

wholikespotatoes
22nd July 2010, 11:58 AM
You can't believe everything you read in the newspaper.

Rant
22nd July 2010, 12:07 PM
Brisbanites, bring your new phones to the Boardwalk meetup in the city on Saturday… pleeeeese. :cool:

Especially that white one, people seem to really like the white ones this time.

yagankiely
22nd July 2010, 10:20 PM
I know the Telstra store at Subi will be open at midnight for the iPhone 4. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Will go somewhere.

Blaqjaq
22nd July 2010, 11:09 PM
Hi All :)

2 questions, one for those who have been to an apple launch before, the other to those on 3

1) will apple store (Perth) accept cash to purchase iPhone 4 on launch morning? I remember reading somewhere that it is. Redit card only but can't remember.... Would rather pay cash if I can

2) what is the best way to get a microsim? 3 mobile store at joondalup didn't even know iPhone 4 used microsim, let alone how to issue me with one.... I'm hoping they will supply me with a microsim over the counter on launch day

drewbles
22nd July 2010, 11:11 PM
1) We'll find out when Apple tell us

2) We'll find out when the carriers tell us.

You're asking questions no one has the answers to yet :)

wholikespotatoes
22nd July 2010, 11:42 PM
Considering US Apple Stores backed down from the no cash policy, you'd expect AU ones to do the same.

susiegb
23rd July 2010, 08:07 AM
Well I had no problem at all getting a microsim for my iPad in a Telstra shop in Brisbane ... !

drewbles
23rd July 2010, 08:51 AM
Well I had no problem at all getting a microsim for my iPad in a Telstra shop in Brisbane ... !

Whilst specifically identical, Telco iPad SIM's won't usually work in iPhone 4's due to the fact they don't have voice enabled on the back end (yes, they have a phone number, but no they don't have voice).

Optus are one of the first to send people out Micro SIM's for iPhone, whilst none of the other have yet.

kmsx
23rd July 2010, 08:59 AM
Um.....what's ur source for this "fact" that voice is not enabled on iPad Microsims?

My understanding is it's just a chip with a code that the network can configure and respond to how ever it wants.....

I asked the head support person at T-life in the Melbourne CBD - and he said they'd just type it into their system. (though no-ones done it yet that he knows of....)

It's my plan to do it as soon as Optus sorts out a bug on my account - then I'm porting to Telstra....
I'll let u know how it goes! ;-)

tcn33
23rd July 2010, 09:28 AM
^ As drewbles said:

iPad SIM's won't usually work in iPhone 4's due to the fact they don't have voice enabled on the back end

It's got nothing to do with the SIM itself. If you activate a microSIM that's purchased as an iPad SIM (i.e in Telstra's packaging that says "MicroSIM for iPad") it'll be set up on an iPad plan, which is set up to exclude voice calls. Try calling the MSN associated with your iPad - it's not a valid voice number.

Jay
23rd July 2010, 09:41 AM
Hi All :)

2 questions, one for those who have been to an apple launch before, the other to those on 3

1) will apple store (Perth) accept cash to purchase iPhone 4 on launch morning? I remember reading somewhere that it is. Redit card only but can't remember.... Would rather pay cash if I can
Buying a phone is different to buying any other device. The government regulations order strict ID checks. Your credit/debit card would serve as 1 form of ID. Hence I doubt Apple Store would allow cash purchases of iPhones.

mac_man_luke
23rd July 2010, 09:56 AM
Buying a phone is different to buying any other device. The government regulations order strict ID checks. Your credit/debit card would serve as 1 form of ID. Hence I doubt Apple Store would allow cash purchases of iPhones.

If your buying outright i see no reason you couldn't buy with cash.

If your buying on a contract you will need to do a full 100 points of ID eg drivers licence etc

OziMac
23rd July 2010, 10:04 AM
Whilst specifically identical, Telco iPad SIM's won't usually work in iPhone 4's due to the fact they don't have voice enabled on the back end (yes, they have a phone number, but no they don't have voice).

Optus are one of the first to send people out Micro SIM's for iPhone, whilst none of the other have yet.

Thrymr seems to have ported his iPhone SIM over to a Micro SIM with [T] here:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/89052-telstra-micro-sim.html

drewbles
23rd July 2010, 10:08 AM
Um.....what's ur source for this "fact" that voice is not enabled on iPad Microsims?

My understanding is it's just a chip with a code that the network can configure and respond to how ever it wants.....

I asked the head support person at T-life in the Melbourne CBD - and he said they'd just type it into their system. (though no-ones done it yet that he knows of....)

It's my plan to do it as soon as Optus sorts out a bug on my account - then I'm porting to Telstra....
I'll let u know how it goes! ;-)

My fact is that I have an iPad 3G and have tried the micro SIM cards in a normal phone with an adaptor.

That, and I work for a mobile company in the engineering team :)

drewbles
23rd July 2010, 10:09 AM

not quite. Government requirements "limit" you to 5 pre-paid services, but anyone can buy a handset. When it comes time to put it on a network they want information, but that's also very very easy to bypass without any real effort.

The Credit Card thing was originally designed to enforce the 'x handsets per customer' rule.

drewbles
23rd July 2010, 10:12 AM
Thrymr seems to have ported his iPhone SIM over to a Micro SIM with [T] here:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/89052-telstra-micro-sim.html

Yup. That's not an iPad micro-SIM. Notice the dual-perforations on the Mini SIM? It's the same as the Optus one.

Looks like Telstra have started to do some iPhone ready SIM cards

(and as I stated previously, it's the back-end, not the SIM itself. The iPad SIM's that were available at launch were not dual size and were micro only; moving forward from here i'm sure it'll just be a standard SIM now with the dual-size, and it'll be provisioned accordingly for post-paid; pre-paid who knows).

OziMac
23rd July 2010, 10:22 AM
Yup. That's not an iPad micro-SIM. Notice the dual-perforations on the Mini SIM? It's the same as the Optus one.

Looks like Telstra have started to do some iPhone ready SIM cards

(and as I stated previously, it's the back-end, not the SIM itself. The iPad SIM's that were available at launch were not dual size and were micro only; moving forward from here i'm sure it'll just be a standard SIM now with the dual-size, and it'll be provisioned accordingly for post-paid; pre-paid who knows).

It's not an iPad Micro SIM, but neither is it an Optus-like dual-perforated card. According to the FA, Thrymr says he cut it down himself.

Methinks you are getting a little worn down by all this to-and-fro, drewbles. :p

kmsx
23rd July 2010, 10:24 AM
My fact is that I have an iPad 3G and have tried the micro SIM cards in a normal phone with an adaptor.

That, and I work for a mobile company in the engineering team :)

Did u register the SIM as an iPad SIM with Telstra or as a phone SIM?
Telstra seemed to suggest that if u'd registered it as an iPad SIM the phone part gets disabled (and therefore won't work - so they're not swappable), however if u configure the SIM as a phone SIM with the network it would work.

Or Telstra could have no idea.... ;)

drewbles
23rd July 2010, 11:09 AM
It's not an iPad Micro SIM, but neither is it an Optus-like dual-perforated card. According to the FA, Thrymr says he cut it down himself.

Methinks you are getting a little worn down by all this to-and-fro, drewbles. :p

Meh. It's the price I pay trying to educate people (and obviously, failing miserably) ;)

FWIW, that's a great neat cut-down job. That's what fooled me, I looked at the images, and the grey on the back of the mini/Micro SIM matched up. Nice cutting job :)

drewbles
23rd July 2010, 11:16 AM
Did u register the SIM as an iPad SIM with Telstra or as a phone SIM?
Telstra seemed to suggest that if u'd registered it as an iPad SIM the phone part gets disabled (and therefore won't work - so they're not swappable), however if u configure the SIM as a phone SIM with the network it would work.

Or Telstra could have no idea.... ;)

As mentioned, there are no micro SIM cards available yet for anything but iPad (except Optus who have started shipping them to certain customers via post).

There is no reason you could not use an iPhone micro SIM in an iPad for data, but if someone tried to call, the iPad would not do anything.

Actually, I just threw a voice SIM into my iPad. Calling it I get a long constant tone that does nothing. No sign of anything happening on the iPad.

I tried with a few SIM cards, and they all did similar things. Fast Busy or a long constant tone. Data worked perfectly though.

tom_mclean
23rd July 2010, 11:23 AM
1) We'll find out when Apple tell us

2) We'll find out when the carriers tell us.

You're asking questions no one has the answers to yet :)

While I am unsure about American legislation, its the law in Australia to accept cash as a method of payment (still taking into note the Currency Act of 1965 which many retailers are unaware of).

db9
23rd July 2010, 11:28 AM
I recently paid cash for a whole bunch of stuff at the apple store; the way the staff got me to do this is to purchase a giftcard for the value and then use that. Took an extra few mins but worked a charm.

drewbles
23rd July 2010, 11:49 AM
While I am unsure about American legislation, its the law in Australia to accept cash as a method of payment (still taking into note the Currency Act of 1965 which many retailers are unaware of).

I didn't say Apple were doing it correctly, but in the past they have said CC only, even in AU.

Challenge it and i'm sure you could work around the issue, but it could also mean you don't get your handset on launch :)

alvse
23rd July 2010, 01:26 PM
I know the Telstra store at Subi will be open at midnight for the iPhone 4. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Will go somewhere.

Serious?

I wonder how much stock they'll have :eek:

Thursday has showers or two forecasted... :mad:

Thrymr
23rd July 2010, 01:30 PM

Just to clarify, it's a single-perforated (and labelled as such) "replacement iPad micro-SIM" that's able to be freely provisioned for pre-paid and post-paid voice services.

FWIW, that's a great neat cut-down job. That's what fooled me, I looked at the images, and the grey on the back of the mini/Micro SIM matched up. Nice cutting job :)

Thanks. :)

tom5955
23rd July 2010, 04:17 PM
I'm planning on queueing for the iPhone 4 next Friday at the Chatswood store. My issue is I need to be pretty quick about it and have to leave ASAP after getting the phone. Based on past experience at this store (not asking for any psychic readings of how many people will be there!) what time do the majority of people begin to queue? I was planning on getting there around 5am and hoping that I would be fairly close to the front. I'm gonna guess and say that there will probably be more people present for this launch, but whatever your experience was for the 3G and/or 3GS would be helpful.

Also, where is the line started? Just so I don't end up going to the wrong place!

Cheers,
Tom

babypoppop
23rd July 2010, 04:49 PM
i don't know. i queued for at the Sydney store at 7 am for the 3GS. i was in at 8 am when the store opened and out before 9 am.

at the time, the outright queue wasn't long. more people were interested in getting on plans.

not sure if this is the case this time

cjm
23rd July 2010, 04:51 PM

puercaeli
23rd July 2010, 05:11 PM
I was front of the line last year for 3GS but they allowed pre order(not from Apple though) then so line was not substantial. Also there was other reason such as most people were on contract and the fact that only those who wanted outright(kind of) lined up...

There was no line till 3am and did not build until 5am...

BUT I dont think this will be the case this time unless people are so concerned about reception issue.

ellsab
23rd July 2010, 05:59 PM
Reception is a none event, Steve gave the hard facts last week.

iPhone4 is going to be much bigger than Iphone 3GS, hardware is so much more improved, can't wait until I get my hands on the new one.

tom5955
23rd July 2010, 06:41 PM
I was front of the line last year for 3GS but they allowed pre order(not from Apple though) then so line was not substantial. Also there was other reason such as most people were on contract and the fact that only those who wanted outright(kind of) lined up...

There was no line till 3am and did not build until 5am...

BUT I dont think this will be the case this time unless people are so concerned about reception issue.

So most people arrived around 5am?

yagankiely
23rd July 2010, 08:27 PM
That's what someone who works there told me anyhow. Since Im on telstra two year contract with the 3GS I may head to the telstra shop to see what they can do for me and to see if it's worth it. May swing by apple store after.

puercaeli
23rd July 2010, 10:26 PM
Yup no 5+ people queue until 5am.

BUT UNLESS preorder and launch day shipping is guaranteed(which is very likely to happen), I think line will be pretty similar to iPhone 3G(which started at 5pm on Thursday I think). Especially with new design and 3G people getting out of contract...

DazR6
23rd July 2010, 11:13 PM
Well I can't log onto any Apple site Australia, USA, Canada or NZ atm so could this be it? Is Apple uploading all the new info for iPhone 4??? I hope so....

digitalbath
23rd July 2010, 11:32 PM
I can log onto the stores fine?

DazR6
23rd July 2010, 11:47 PM
I can log onto the stores fine?

That's weird I still can't and I can't on my iPhone either with using just 3G not WiFi.

digitalbath
23rd July 2010, 11:51 PM
You got me excited for nothing :P

I'm going to bed now... I bet it pops up in an hour haha

adam89
24th July 2010, 11:59 AM
Hmmmm CC only? Can you use an EFTPOS card?

Thrymr
24th July 2010, 01:25 PM
I'll be getting there around 1 or 2am, hoping they will open at 6am or so but certainly not expecting it....

They're opening at 8 AM and limiting purchases to two per person on a first-come, first-served basis.

Anyway, if Apple aren't allowing us to purchase it outright online, then I'll be there early. Probably not 1 AM-early. Maybe 5 AM. ;)

dannyhilton
24th July 2010, 09:27 PM
I'm tossing and turning between going to Chermside or Robina?

gareth
25th July 2010, 02:58 AM
anybody rang an apple store to ask about paying with cash ?

What i really want to know is how do you line up at a mall store?????

supafly
25th July 2010, 07:20 AM
Do we know what time security will start letting people line up outside the store? I'm thinking of getting there about 5-6am if I can get the day off approved.

beatmasterbee
25th July 2010, 08:26 AM
Sooooo...who is going to be lining up at Doncaster this Friday early morning.

Last year I was at the front of the line with ricochet and MikeFoden...we ended up having a pretty good time (apart from the non-appearance of coffees and egg + bacon rolls from Apple staff :p ).

Does anyone know what time they will open the shopping centre doors. We managed to get in at around 5am last time.

Who will be joining me? and what is your plan of attack?

dannyhilton
25th July 2010, 10:07 AM
Based on what I've read about the iPad launch, everyone lined up near the Woolworths entry and they were out in the cold until about 7am when the centre opened. Security were stopping them taking photos too?

If only we could pre order the iPhone! Haha.

Nickop
25th July 2010, 10:21 AM
I'll prob end up heading to Doncaster around 6am, maybe a bit earlier as I need to be in the city later that morning.

I think there are security around who will let people in although not too sure which door to enter at.

matthew858
25th July 2010, 10:55 AM
My understanding is that credit cards must be used when purchasing an unlocked iPhone from Apple Stores. I had this issue when trying to buy an iPhone 3GS last year using EFTPOS.

Just go to the shopping centre just before the store opens and line up. Generally there's enough iPhones to go around!

asgr8
25th July 2010, 11:20 AM
I will be there as well.

will get there by 10 to 5 or so...

Still not sure if i wanna buy outright or on a plan :S

freefallgrue
25th July 2010, 12:01 PM
Any well-established trustworthy members at Chaddy or Doncaster willing to work out a deal to pick one up for someone else at the same time? :P

beatmasterbee
25th July 2010, 12:17 PM
I'm already buying two so can't help you there I'm afraid.

I'll probably get there at around 5.30 and hope security have opened the doors to the centre

marcmarcdv
25th July 2010, 12:20 PM
Where do we start line up from? Where abouts?

grahammac1
25th July 2010, 12:27 PM
i will be lining up at don caster west field hopefully i will be out by 9:30 because i have work

freefallgrue
25th July 2010, 12:32 PM
I'm already buying two so can't help you there I'm afraid.

I'll probably get there at around 5.30 and hope security have opened the doors to the centre

No drama… hopefully someone will be only planning on buying one and willing to help, but if not it's not the end of the world.

Huy
25th July 2010, 12:36 PM
Should have a poll for this thread.

Sydney Apple Retail Store for me.

Reubania
25th July 2010, 12:43 PM
I'll be waiting at Donnie. Anyone who was at the 3GS launch last year, where is the best to line up overnight?

beatmasterbee
25th July 2010, 12:54 PM
I'll be waiting at Donnie. Anyone who was at the 3GS launch last year, where is the best to line up overnight?

Well no-where really. They didn't open up the centre until 5am last year so it was kinda pointless getting there before that time.

I was first in line last year and I got there just before 5am. Some other schmos had been waiting in the carpark overnight and ended up being about 5th in line as their closest door opened after ours did.

It's potluck as to which doors they open first so queueing up overnight at a random door seems kinda pointless until they open up

Reubania
25th July 2010, 01:05 PM
Cheers. At least I know to get there before 5am. Can you tell me which door you were at? I don't need to be first in line. But I need to drive to work straight afterwards...so I need to be inside the Apple store when they open their doors at 8am. I just want to go in, buy the 32GB outright and leave straight away.

Nickop
25th July 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm guessing the carpark entrance where David Jones is will be the best to go to, a mate of mine was there for the 3GS launch and said the security let him in from there.

Like wise, couldn't care less about being first in line; just want the iPhone and to get out before 9.30.

Meh 626
25th July 2010, 01:13 PM
Hmmmm CC only? Can you use an EFTPOS card?

My understanding is that credit cards must be used when purchasing an unlocked iPhone from Apple Stores. I had this issue when trying to buy an iPhone 3GS last year using EFTPOS.

Just go to the shopping centre just before the store opens and line up. Generally there's enough iPhones to go around!

I just called my local Apple Store regarding payment options for the iPhone. They said "we will accept everything but cheques or Diners Club card."

Hope this helps,

freefallgrue
25th July 2010, 01:14 PM
I just called my local Apple Store regarding payment options for the iPhone. They said "we will accept everything but cheques or Diners Club card."

Hope this helps,

That's good. Should make it easier if I can find someone able to buy one for me, can just give a wad of cash :D

grahammac1
25th July 2010, 01:22 PM
i am so there what time should i rock up i want to buy the iPhone 4 out right

NORMANDY
25th July 2010, 01:29 PM
I am lining up in front of my computer, no lines for me :)

DeKa
25th July 2010, 01:51 PM
I'm planning on queueing for the iPhone 4 next Friday at the Chatswood store.

One thing to note is Chatswood Chase Shopping Centre doesn't open until 9.30am (according to this link: Chatswood Chase : Trading Hours (http://www.chatswoodchaseshopping.com.au/tradinghours/) ). Does anyone have confirmation from the Apple Store that the shopping centre will open any earlier than normal? I can't see the point in people getting there at 4 or 5am as others have said when the centre doesn't open until 9.30.

Nickop
25th July 2010, 02:33 PM
^^^^

Apple Retail Store - Chatswood Chase (http://www.apple.com/au/retail/chatswoodchase/)

Arriving at your favourite Apple Retail Store on 30 July. Stores open at 8:00 a.m. iPhone 4 is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Limit two per person.

dannyhilton
25th July 2010, 03:27 PM
People lining up at Chermside, is it the Woolworths entry where we lineup from? Also will be parking be open at 6AM? Thanks in advance :)

kevinnugent
25th July 2010, 03:58 PM
I'm not franking happy about this situation. What about the people who have to work, Apple? You just bloody know there won't be one left after work on the Friday night.

My only hope is either Voda will do pre-orders or I can buy outright online for delivery on the 30th. Not holding my breath for either really...

Devil rolla
25th July 2010, 04:01 PM
Is the chermside entrance, next to the bada bing restaurant ? The big barn-door looking thing ?
Ta

kevinnugent
25th July 2010, 04:04 PM
Anyone in Brisbane lining up for one want to earn some extra cash?

tom5955
25th July 2010, 04:34 PM
One thing to note is Chatswood Chase Shopping Centre doesn't open until 9.30am (according to this link: Chatswood Chase : Trading Hours (http://www.chatswoodchaseshopping.com.au/tradinghours/) ). Does anyone have confirmation from the Apple Store that the shopping centre will open any earlier than normal? I can't see the point in people getting there at 4 or 5am as others have said when the centre doesn't open until 9.30.

I doubt thats the case on the day for two reasons - the K-Mart downstairs I think is open 24/7 (according to all the ads on TV) so there must be one door open at least a little earlier, not to mention the Coles there as well. Oh and the fact that they said the shop opens at 8! They wouldn't open it before the whole mall opens.

cjm
25th July 2010, 05:04 PM
K-Mart downstairs I think is open 24/7

K-Mart closes midnight Thursday and reopens at 6am on Friday. So it should all be open by 6am.

grfxninja
25th July 2010, 05:23 PM
I was planning to head into the Sydney store but won't be happening unless someone buys my MacBook Pro :(

Fedgrub
25th July 2010, 06:32 PM
Is the chermside entrance, next to the bada bing restaurant ? The big barn-door looking thing ?
Ta

I guess so... Everyone keeps saying the "woolworths entrance", and that dooris the closest. So I'm just assuming

tcn33
25th July 2010, 07:37 PM
T-Life, Melbourne. Kinda hope it's not midnight again, that was pretty rough.

babypoppop
25th July 2010, 07:55 PM
T-Life, Melbourne. Kinda hope it's not midnight again, that was pretty rough.

oh the t-life in Melbourne did midnight before? the t-life in Sydney didn't.

kungfucamel
25th July 2010, 08:29 PM
what time does chermside open the doors? i guess since the doors at that end are outside, you could be lining up whenever...

I guess so... Everyone keeps saying the "woolworths entrance", and that dooris the closest. So I'm just assuming

marc
25th July 2010, 08:30 PM
Doncaster for me. Not sure what time. It's VERY cold in Melbourne in the morning, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get out of bed too early.

The_Hawk
25th July 2010, 08:53 PM
I'm hoping to be able to head into the Sydney T-Life store on Friday at some stage, I suppose we will see what happens.

Would love to get one white and one black, but looks like the wife might be out of luck on the white one.

freefallgrue
25th July 2010, 09:03 PM
Doncaster for me. Not sure what time. It's VERY cold in Melbourne in the morning, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get out of bed too early.

How many are you planning on getting? :innocent:

iCantwait
25th July 2010, 09:24 PM
Anyone going to chaddy or Donny from the cbd? Wanna car pool. Aka drive me from southbank and I run in and get a spot in line while you park?

Or just get there early anyways, you know, hug a tree, save a whale?

freefallgrue
25th July 2010, 09:31 PM
Anyone going to chaddy or Donny from the cbd? Wanna car pool. Aka drive me from southbank and I run in and get a spot in line while you park?

Or just get there early anyways, you know, hug a tree, save a whale?

I was going to offer to pay cab fare for you if you'd pick up a phone for me, but then I checked the fare estimator and realized that'd cost me about a hundred bucks :(

iCantwait
25th July 2010, 09:34 PM
That much? Ouch. I will be getting two though. Blatent profiteering is going on with me.....

freefallgrue
25th July 2010, 09:36 PM
That much? Ouch. I will be getting two though. Blatent profiteering is going on with me.....

Well, it claims 40 each way, and I figure on a 25% margin for error :p

Fair enough on the profiteering… can't blame ya. Hoping someone will be able to grab one for me, but not gonna hold my breath.

beatmasterbee
25th July 2010, 09:48 PM
I'll be going to Doncaster from Carlton North, but a trip to Southbank means getting up 20 mins earlier when I'm already getting up at 4.30. Wrong direction sorry :)

klif
25th July 2010, 10:23 PM
Was at Chadstone today, scoped out the Coles entrance which someone else mentioned is the best place to form the initial queue, and typically where Chadstone security will let you in.

Looked up the earliest sane trains to get me to Chadstone around 7am or just after, must remember not to drink too much if I am going to be in the queue for a while.

marc
25th July 2010, 10:35 PM
How many are you planning on getting? :innocent:

From Doncaster? Probably 2.

DIESELBOY
25th July 2010, 10:46 PM
Can I join with you guys in this event? ;)

Reubania
25th July 2010, 10:49 PM
From Doncaster? Probably 2.

Wow. That's early. Which is the best entrance to wait?

mcargy08
25th July 2010, 10:50 PM
shit i live in hobart! might fly this thursday to melbourne then. only trouble is where to stay! dont know anyone in Melbourne! dont want to pay for hotel accommodation just for the iPhone!

Holden Caulfield
25th July 2010, 10:57 PM

Pfft. HTFU! :p

moya
25th July 2010, 11:03 PM
shit i live in hobart! might fly this thursday to melbourne then. only trouble is where to stay! dont know anyone in Melbourne! dont want to pay for hotel accommodation just for the iPhone!\

I'm another Hobartian, I'm in Melb next Tuesday but that won't do me much good :(
That's why I was hoping for online orders, mind you I got the 3g on launch day (actually picked up the next day due to system issues) however even if somewhere has them, no doubt it will be in the City and I'm working :mad:

Nickop
25th July 2010, 11:06 PM
Wow. That's early. Which is the best entrance to wait?

Agreed, don't think you'll need to get there at 2 to secure an iPhone unless you need to be out of the store by half past 8. I'd be very surprised to find more than 15 people there before 2am.

I'm guessing the entrance near David Jones, "Blue Car Park" or the entrance near Coles - "Yellow Car Park" will be the best entrances to get to. All depending on what security opens; might give them a bell to ask them what the plan is.

gareth
25th July 2010, 11:09 PM
I'm gonna line up at chadstone I will be there about 5am

Reubania
25th July 2010, 11:10 PM
Agreed, don't think you'll need to get there at 2 to secure an iPhone unless you need to be out of the store by half past 8. I'd be very surprised to find more than 15 people there before 2am.

I'm guessing the entrance near David Jones, "Blue Car Park" or the entrance near Coles - "Yellow Car Park" will be the best entrances to get to. All depending on what security opens; might give them a bell to ask them what the plan is.

Yes. I need to be out of the store by 8:30 in order to reach work by 9. I don't want to be first in line, I just want to get in, buy it outright and leave straight away. Simple.

Good point about asking security which entrance will be opened first.

wolfie
25th July 2010, 11:19 PM
If I need to be out the door by 845am Friday at Sydney store, for a outright purchase, what time you reckon would be good to turn up?

freefallgrue
25th July 2010, 11:22 PM
If I need to be out the door by 845am Friday at Sydney store, for a outright purchase, what time you reckon would be good to turn up?

'bout an hour from now ;)

muhamadoikubaru
25th July 2010, 11:35 PM
Hey guys, I did some digging around for the iPad lining up thread (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/57/85347-apple-store-chadstone-lineup.html) (or at least for the Chadstone one). It provided a link (http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/tablets/melbourne-braces-for-ipad-mania-20100527-wfxy.html?autostart=1) which says:

"early birds will be directed to a covered bus stop area until 5.30am when security guards will escort them into the shopping centre. Eager iPad fans will then be issued with numbered tickets and left to wait until the store opens at 8am."

I hope something like this happens again, cause I think I know which covered bus stop area they're talking about and its not too bad (it's one near Coles right?). Can anyone who was there verify this?

gareth
25th July 2010, 11:37 PM

4am

wolfie
25th July 2010, 11:39 PM
That's absurd!
I'll prolly wait till the week after.

beatmasterbee
26th July 2010, 12:25 AM
Yes. I need to be out of the store by 8:30 in order to reach work by 9. I don't want to be first in line, I just want to get in, buy it outright and leave straight away. Simple.

Good point about asking security which entrance will be opened first.

yeah dont worry first in line gets you nothing. i was first in line at Doncaster last year and didnt even get a bloody free tshirt for my trouble. poor form Apple

huey85
26th July 2010, 12:25 AM
I'm thinking of hitting up the Chaddy store this Friday morning. Was thinking of leaving the CBD around 4 or 5. I'm just thinking whether or not I could get back to the office (back at the CBD) on time (around 9:30AM) :/

Contemplating taking a sick day or something of the like.

wholikespotatoes
26th July 2010, 01:30 AM
Gah I would love to get the phone on Friday but really cannot be bothered with the whole lining up thing. Assuming no pre-orders i might just take my chances and visit in the afternoon.

No alarm can wake me up before 8am anyway.

Jinkst
26th July 2010, 07:03 AM
I've got the best place to line up. In the comfort of my own home. And the best part? I'll be getting it the Thursday when my mate who owns a phone retailer gets it delivered. Boom!

Hex
26th July 2010, 07:54 AM
I will be lineing up at T Life in Melbourne not going to decide a time until they release launch information... I cant see me lining before 5am... To everyone saying I am going to just turm up in afternoon good luck with that from experience its busier in the afternoon....

benzoenator
26th July 2010, 09:10 AM
shit i live in hobart! might fly this thursday to melbourne then. only trouble is where to stay! dont know anyone in Melbourne! dont want to pay for hotel accommodation just for the iPhone!

I'd be very surprised if T-Life, Nextbyte or JB don't have stock at launch. In any case, at least one of them will. If it's T-Life there are about four stores in the greater Hobart area anyway.

I'm planning on getting into the city at around 7.30am-8am (I figure the lines in Tasmania won't be that bizarre). My best bet is that I'll probably head straight to T-Life, unless I get confirmation that NextByte have got stock, in which case I'll go there.

fickwalker
26th July 2010, 09:16 AM
I'm going to give the Optus midnight launch in Sydney a bash. If I show up and there's swarms of people, then I'll just head home, sleep and wander in to the OptusWorld at the base of my building in the morning. Hasn't failed me in the last two years. :)

NORMANDY
26th July 2010, 09:49 AM
Cool story, your friend is risking getting pwned by Apple for breaking street date.

or order it online and forget all this rush ho ha!

MacDub
26th July 2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I'll be ordering online when it becomes available.

It's way too cold in the morning in Melbourne for me to consider lining up at some ungodly hour. Even though I only work a 10 minute drive away from Chaddy. And... I want a white one anyway.. :o

leonardboulevard
26th July 2010, 10:00 AM
would rather go to a 10am screening at MIFF i've booked, i'll get it when there are prices for it outright, i don't think it will be avaliable Friday morning outright, if it is it would be over-priced, maybe $1000 for the 16GB which should be a max $879, don't vodafone, apple ect. know how to promote it? I think alot of people, and now me, will just believe there will be not enough on Friday for people like me who may show up right on 7am if its phone, case, good price n al..

huey85
26th July 2010, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know if Optus are doing prepaids? or are the days of prepaid iPhones over? Would be so much easier for me to just go to one of the Optus stores in the city to grab one rather than going to the Apple store @ Chaddy or Doncaster.

OziMac
26th July 2010, 10:04 AM
or order it online and forget all this rush ho ha!

And enjoy the three to five week wait. ;)

drewbles
26th July 2010, 10:06 AM
I will be lineing up at T Life in Melbourne not going to decide a time until they release launch information... I cant see me lining before 5am... To everyone saying I am going to just turm up in afternoon good luck with that from experience its busier in the afternoon....

I'm hoping they do a midnight opening to compete with Optus (who have supposedly claimed the company owned store on the cnr of Collins and Elizabeth will be opening at midnight).

Would save a lot of hassles as i'm on an 11am flight out of Melb on the 30th. Would be nice if it could be confirmed that they'll do in-store signups for all telcos at the Apple stores (I know they do now, but there's nothing confirmed saying that they'll do it at launch).

kungfucamel
26th July 2010, 10:08 AM
Can I join with you guys in this event? ;)

for sure dude - a few of us are going to be meeting up... just need to work out what time is best haha.

prohog
26th July 2010, 10:30 AM
Just received email from Optus. Link is getting smashed but it eventually works.

(mod edit: links are personalised - don't post yours unless you're willing to risk that someone else is going to overwrite your registration with their own)

leoleakey
26th July 2010, 10:33 AM
will be at chadstone around 6:00am and sign with Vodafone at apple store

decryption
26th July 2010, 11:07 AM
I'm hoping they do a midnight opening to compete with Optus (who have supposedly claimed the company owned store on the cnr of Collins and Elizabeth will be opening at midnight).

Would save a lot of hassles as i'm on an 11am flight out of Melb on the 30th. Would be nice if it could be confirmed that they'll do in-store signups for all telcos at the Apple stores (I know they do now, but there's nothing confirmed saying that they'll do it at launch).

Last year, Telstra's midnight launch was horribly prepared and was barely promoted (I only found out by walking past the store on my way home from dinner). So yeah, I don't think it will be any different this time :p

NORMANDY
26th July 2010, 11:20 AM
And enjoy the three to five week wait. ;)

not caring, hate crowds and lines! plus nearest phone store to me is 50kms away.... i can wait

drewbles
26th July 2010, 11:44 AM
Last year, Telstra's midnight launch was horribly prepared and was barely promoted (I only found out by walking past the store on my way home from dinner). So yeah, I don't think it will be any different this time :p

Here's hoping they at least announce plans in advance, although i'm not holding my breath:)

I'd like to wander in around midnight and pick it up as an MRO on the F&F plan i'm on now. That would be sweet. No contract, just $70/80 per month for a year. Would do me nicely (hey, it never hurts to dream).

alvse
26th July 2010, 11:52 AM
Any Perthies going to be in line at a Telstra/T-Life shop (when we find out which is the optimum on to goto of course)?

I'm hoping for Perth Murray St Mall or Subiaco... Subiaco more so cause it's well undercover and I don't like rain :D

VOOK
26th July 2010, 12:09 PM
Any Perthies going to be in line at a Telstra/T-Life shop (when we find out which is the optimum on to goto of course)?

I'm hoping for Perth Murray St Mall or Subiaco... Subiaco more so cause it's well undercover and I don't like rain :D

I might go to the T-Life in the city IF and I stress IF they announce what the eff is going on with the entire thing.

alvse
26th July 2010, 12:15 PM
I might go to the T-Life in the city IF and I stress IF they announce what the eff is going on with the entire thing.

Lol... you'd think being from Perth we would be used to waiting for things to happen... but I too wish that Telstra would release some info.

What would you rather? Midnight or morning opening? I'm crossing my fingers for a midnight launch with Telstra... Would have to find parking that doesn't close at 1AM though... would suck to have the phone and not be able to get me car out of a carpark... lol :p

VOOK
26th July 2010, 12:17 PM
We won't be having any midnight launches in Perth, they can't do them without breaking the law.

It's not up to Telstra or any other Telco. It is Apple, they are holding all the cards.

drewbles
26th July 2010, 12:23 PM
We won't be having any midnight launches in Perth, they can't do them without breaking the law.

It's not up to Telstra or any other Telco. It is Apple, they are holding all the cards.

Optus is doing a Midnight launch in Perth, so yes, they can.

Companies can apply for exemptions. I remember the old Chandlers/Archie Martin Vox in Citywest being fined for Sunday trading (before Harvey Norman bought them out).

As a general rule of thumb, corporates are not allowed to open without a permit/permission, but 'family run' type business can (that's how Dewsons got around it, it's a part of IGA but they're "individually owned" so can open extended hours).

And no, it's not necessarily Apple holding the cards. Carriers are just carriers. They don't release info until they're ready to. And as I mentioned elsewhere, if it was any other handset with less of a profile, plans would be made available when the handset was, and not a minute before. This is a special case of the handset being in high demand prior to launch, so the telcos have to bend their usual operating process.

VOOK
26th July 2010, 12:30 PM
Optus is doing a Midnight launch in Perth, so yes, they can.

Companies can apply for exemptions. I remember the old Chandlers/Archie Martin Vox in Citywest being fined for Sunday trading (before Harvey Norman bought them out).

As a general rule of thumb, corporates are not allowed to open without a permit/permission, but 'family run' type business can (that's how Dewsons got around it, it's a part of IGA but they're "individually owned" so can open extended hours).

The last time a store held a midnight launch for a product (EB Games) they got a $13,000 fine. We never have midnight launches for games over here and that's the sole reason why. Unless Optus consider the iPhone 4 big enough to get a fine over. Optus isn't a 'family run' business so I don't see your point. There is also no IGA's in the city, also closing at 9pm is a far cry from opening at Midnight.

And no, it's not necessarily Apple holding the cards. Carriers are just carriers. They don't release info until they're ready to. And as I mentioned elsewhere, if it was any other handset with less of a profile, plans would be made available when the handset was, and not a minute before. This is a special case of the handset being in high demand prior to launch, so the telcos have to bend their usual operating process.

If it's not Apple then why isn't it available to order on their site yet?

drewbles
26th July 2010, 12:36 PM
The last time a store held a midnight launch for a product (EB Games) they got a $13,000 fine. We never have midnight launches for games over here and that's the sole reason why. Unless Optus consider the iPhone 4 big enough to get a fine over. Optus isn't a 'family run' business so I don't see your point. There is also no IGA's in the city, also closing at 9pm is a far cry from opening at Midnight.
Ummm Optus *are* having a midnight launch (see other thread). Did you read? You can get permits to do one-off events. EB obviously didn't do things right. IGA was an example of the rules. Read before you blindly dribble things:)
Image from the Optus midnight launch page:

http://www.icns.com.au/~drew/optus.png

If it's not Apple then why isn't it available to order on their site yet?

Apple clearly state on their website it's available from 8am for purchase on a first-come-first-serve basis. It's not available for pre-order in Australia:

Apple Retail Store (http://www.apple.com/au/retail/)

VOOK
26th July 2010, 12:40 PM
Ummm Optus *are* having a midnight launch (see other thread). Did you read? You can get permits to do one-off events. EB obviously didn't do things right. IGA was an example of the rules. Read before you blindly dribble things:)

Apple clearly state on their website it's available from 8am for purchase on a first-come-first-serve basis. It's not available for pre-order in Australia:

Apple Retail Store (http://www.apple.com/au/retail/)

Which brings me back to my other point, there's no pricing yet because Apple don't want there to be. But just keep ignoring that one.

I have no doubt Optus will have a midnight event, they'll just be copping a fine. Guess all the people who are going to line up for a phone with no pricing care just as much as Optus who are willing to sell them one.

drewbles
26th July 2010, 12:43 PM
Which brings me back to my other point, there's no pricing yet because Apple don't want there to be.

Your original point said "Apple are holding all the cards". That doesn't have anything to do with them not having put pricing on the website.

It's more than likely going to be the same as all other iPhones. They lower the price of the old models, and new ones march in at the old price points. It's a pretty safe bet that's going to happen here.

The telcos are by law required to sell them at any price they want. They are not under any obligation to sell it for an Apple set price. That's called price fixing, and is highly illegal (And companies have been fined substantial amounts for colluding to fix prices).

freefallgrue
26th July 2010, 12:43 PM
Wait, the city fines businesses for being open according to customer demand?

Fail city is fail.

drewbles
26th July 2010, 12:45 PM
Wait, the city fines businesses for being open according to customer demand?

Fail city is fail.

It's law, not the city. It's to do with hours businesses are allowed to trade, hence why you guys are so behind in 7 day trading ;)

People voted for 7 day trading in a referendum. It was a unanimous 'NO'.

It sucks. Every time I visit Perth, I feel like i'm in the dark ages when all I may want to do is go to the shops to buy a few groceries and I can't because it's after 6pm or a Sunday.

tom_mclean
26th July 2010, 12:45 PM
Just stole me a RSVP link. Does anyone know when plans will be released?

drewbles
26th July 2010, 12:47 PM
Just stole me a RSVP link. Does anyone know when plans will be released?

When the Telcos want to release them. That's what most the anger around here is about. The Telcos aren't telling us squat until they're ready to (which sucks!)

VOOK
26th July 2010, 12:51 PM
Alrighty signed up for this mythical midnight launch in Perth for Optus, will go but I'm only buying outright (which they probably won't do). No point asking if anyone knows but no one knows anything about it - because the companies are being twats.

If no one is there I'm holding drewbles accountable.

Blaqjaq
26th July 2010, 12:54 PM
I wonder if Telco's/Apple will not release pricing until the morning of the launch....

Whilst it may make people a little cranky, if I owned a telco, and could trust that the others would not release pricing either, it'd be a sure bet way to maximise profit and thus would definately do it that way.

Personally, I'm buying outright, Whether the 32gb is $995 or $1095 or somewhere in between I really dont care, Sure the lower the better, but will $100 stop me? Definately not..... Will knowing ahead make any difference? Definately not....

My only negative towards Apple is that the retail stores are not opening earlier than the usual 8am open time, and that we cant preorder online and then collect from retail store on launch day.

OziMac
26th July 2010, 12:58 PM
not caring, hate crowds and lines! plus nearest phone store to me is 50kms away.... i can wait

You and me both. But if my need for an iPhone wasn't mostly driven by the desire to start playing with it as soon as possible, I'd probably get an Android or stick with my 3G.

I really hate Apple's tactics these days, but damn it if they don't still make great products.

NORMANDY
26th July 2010, 01:04 PM
You and me both. But if my need for an iPhone wasn't mostly driven by the desire to start playing with it as soon as possible, I'd probably get an Android or stick with my 3G.

I really hate Apple's tactics these days, but damn it if they don't still make great products.

True they do, but my hatred of crowds and lines is greater than that to play with a new toy, so logic will dictate most of my decision not to line up in the cold cold morning, and just wait till one can get posted to my house,

That way I don't have to do much in the way of getting one besides typing crap into a web site. Plus I want all the hoo ha to settle down to see what happens to pricing as well.

freefallgrue
26th July 2010, 01:08 PM
It's law, not the city. It's to do with hours businesses are allowed to trade, hence why you guys are so behind in 7 day trading ;)

People voted for 7 day trading in a referendum. It was a unanimous 'NO'.

It sucks. Every time I visit Perth, I feel like i'm in the dark ages when all I may want to do is go to the shops to buy a few groceries and I can't because it's after 6pm or a Sunday.

WOw, that's ridiculously backwards. Why would anyone NOT want expanded access to things? The fact that there are no 24 hour pharmacies in Melbourne drives me berserk.

VOOK
26th July 2010, 01:10 PM
WOw, that's ridiculously backwards. Why would anyone NOT want expanded access to things? The fact that there are no 24 hour pharmacies in Melbourne drives me berserk.

Not EVERY shop is in Perth on a Sunday or after 6pm. We're not Adelaide or anything.

bennyling
26th July 2010, 01:16 PM
I have no doubt Optus will have a midnight event, they'll just be copping a fine.

Companies can apply for exemptions.

You can get permits to do one-off events.

Do people read anymore?

Thrymr
26th July 2010, 01:19 PM
There is also no IGA's in the city, also closing at 9pm is a far cry from opening at Midnight.

Actually, there is an IGA in the city near the corner of Hay Street and Pier Street that opens from 7 AM to midnight every day.

It's getting better. Stores in the city and certain metro areas now have the freedom to close at 9 PM, and it'll soon extend to all metro areas.

And, of course, as you mentioned, some businesses can apply for exemptions. The 24-hour pharmacy on Beaufort Street and the many 24-hour convenience stores come to mind.

drewbles
26th July 2010, 01:20 PM

Melbourne did have a few 24 hour Pharmacies but they closed due to cost of keeping security on I imagine.

Perth has two (last time I checked) which is brilliant.

Perth's big reason for not wanting extended trading is that it'll put the Ma & Pa businesses out of business, which are presently allowed extended trading hours.

They also voted against Daylight Savings cause the extra hour of sunlight faded the curtains more ;)

(and before anyone accuses me of being sandgroper-ist, I am one of them originally so I'm taking a stab at my home state ;))

drewbles
26th July 2010, 01:20 PM
Do people read anymore?

I don't believe so. Peoples hatred of telcos, the system and impatience to get their hands on shiny new toys blinds them.

It is the internets after all ;)

VOOK
26th July 2010, 01:28 PM
I don't believe so. Peoples hatred of telcos, the system and impatience to get their hands on shiny new toys blinds them.

It is the internets after all ;)

They act like children (Telco's), I'll act like one too.

Actually, there is an IGA in the city near the corner of Hay Street and Pier Street that opens from 7 AM to midnight every day.

Well that's new, when did that open?

Thrymr
26th July 2010, 01:31 PM
Well that's new, when did that open?

A few months ago, IIRC.

drewbles
26th July 2010, 01:35 PM
They act like children (Telco's), I'll act like one too.

How is wanting to make as much money as possible childish?

For the xteenth time, Telcos are a business and the iPhone is a special case. Most handsets have plans released at the same time as the handset is available.

They're not acting like petulant children like some on here, they're acting like a business, trying to maximise profit. That may suck for those of us (all of us) wanting to know more, but they're being a business and trying to see what other carriers do first.

wholikespotatoes
26th July 2010, 01:40 PM
My god. I swear every thread on MTAU turns into a bitch fest these days.

freefallgrue
26th July 2010, 01:41 PM
Melbourne did have a few 24 hour Pharmacies but they closed due to cost of keeping security on I imagine.

That's their own fault for choosing a crappy location :P

They also voted against Daylight Savings cause the extra hour of sunlight faded the curtains more ;)

I'd vote against daylight savings, too. It's stupid… if you want more sunlight exposure, get up earlier. Or alternatively, we lock it into daylight savings time forever and it becomes "normal" time.

VOOK
26th July 2010, 01:41 PM
Most handsets don't require you to either line up at midnight or line up 5 am to pick one up however.

drewbles
26th July 2010, 01:51 PM
I'd vote against daylight savings, too. It's stupid… if you want more sunlight exposure, get up earlier. Or alternatively, we lock it into daylight savings time forever and it becomes "normal" time.

I'm only for Daylight Savings as it's a PITA dealing with "The West" from "The East" when it's in effect (which is now half the year).

You get to work (East) they're in bed (West). They get in (West) You're at lunch (East). You get back from lunch (East) they're at lunch (West). They get back from lunch (West) and you're gone home (East).

It's just so annoying. I don't have any reason to like it apart from that.

But we're getting waaaaaay o/t here :)

tom_mclean
26th July 2010, 02:31 PM
chit chat in the orange sofa forum, ta.

freefallgrue
26th July 2010, 02:52 PM
chit chat in the orange sofa forum, ta.

Nevar.

Amzy
26th July 2010, 03:23 PM
Where did the donny guys line up last time around?

Nickop
26th July 2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks to Hrvatski on Whirpool:

Straight from Doncaster managerment -

To accommodate those who choose to line up early, Westfield Doncaster will open it’s Commonwealth Bank entry door at Williamsons Road from midnight.
Customers will then be able to gain access to the centre and make their way to the Apple store. Apple envisage this event to be smaller than the iPad launch which drew smaller than expected queues, and those who line up should be able to make it in and out of the store comfortably between 8am and 9am as they did on the day of the previous launch.
Therefore, arrive at any of the Williamsons Road carparks, enter the centre from the Commonwealth Bank entrance, proceed to the Apple store and take your place in the queue that may be forming. Apple will be open at 8am.

beatmasterbee
26th July 2010, 04:42 PM

Cheers for the info. very handy :)

freefallgrue
26th July 2010, 04:43 PM
Oh very nice.

beatmasterbee
26th July 2010, 04:44 PM

actually from memory thats the door we entered last time....but they didnt open it until about 5am in 2009. very nice of them to open it at midnight this time :)

Alec Fraser
26th July 2010, 04:44 PM
Contemplating lining up at Chermside on Friday morning. It's my last day of leave before going back to work on Monday...I wasn't going to do much with it anyway ;)

Amzy
26th July 2010, 05:07 PM

Thanks a ton mate!

SOH
26th July 2010, 05:11 PM
I'll be lining up at the Bondi Store! After 10AM there was no line at all for the iPad, hopefully if people still don't realise the store is there, the same will be for the iPhone!

Armige
26th July 2010, 05:14 PM
Lining up for hours for a phone, i think not.

cjm
26th July 2010, 05:29 PM
Just got this back from Chatswood Chase Centre Management:

Thank you for contacting Chatswood Chase Sydney regarding the Apple iPhone launch this Friday, 30th July. The Victoria Avenue doors, just near the Apple store, will open at 6.00am for keen customers. The Apple store will open at 8.00am.

jodihansen
26th July 2010, 05:31 PM
I'm currently with Optus & I received an invite from Optus to get an iPhone 4 at midnight, however, I think I will buy one outright this year & switch to Telstra pre-paid. So, I will line up in Melbourne at one of the Apple stores. Not sure which one though, but was thinking of Chadstone.

Fedgrub
26th July 2010, 06:08 PM
Chermside have not finished coordinating theirs yet. But they did say they expect the centre to be open all night because Telstra are doing a midnight opening, so at least one door will be open all night with security.

huey85
26th July 2010, 06:38 PM

Cheers - has anyone heard what's going to be happening at the Chadstone front? I'm contemplating which store to go to - Chaddy or Donny. Which is quicker to get to from the CBD and back? lol.

timmytomtam
26th July 2010, 06:50 PM
Any Canberrans wanna hazard a guess about where to go Friday morning?

Do you think Vodafone/Telstra/Optus stores here will have plenty of stock, or will most be going to the Apple retail stores that are at least 4 hours away? :p

freefallgrue
26th July 2010, 07:32 PM
Anyone in Melbs going to one of the Apple stores and only planning to buy one phone?

TheKeddi
26th July 2010, 07:36 PM
I'll be lining up at home, waiting for the white model to finally arrive, then it's online onto the Apple store to get mine from there :-)

NathR32
26th July 2010, 08:03 PM
Any Canberrans wanna hazard a guess about where to go Friday morning?

Do you think Vodafone/Telstra/Optus stores here will have plenty of stock, or will most be going to the Apple retail stores that are at least 4 hours away? :p

I'm not taking a risk trying in Canberra. Heading to Sydney on Thursday, lining up for Optus midnight launch. Then trying to get a bit of sleep then heading to George Street Apple Store.

It's gonna be a long night/morning :p

ThexMac
26th July 2010, 08:14 PM
Lining up at my keyboard.... ordering online so it will arrive at my desk ;-)

tcn33
26th July 2010, 08:22 PM
Uh oh. ;)

Twitter / Latika Bourke : Anyone know what Apple sto ... (http://twitter.com/latikambourke/status/19562987719)

bennyling
26th July 2010, 08:25 PM
Uh oh. ;)

Twitter / Latika Bourke : Anyone know what Apple sto ... (http://twitter.com/latikambourke/status/19562987719)

Huge queues? Al-freaking-ready?

tcn33
26th July 2010, 08:26 PM
Surely she's taking the piss.

edit: ah.

Twitter / Dermah: In line for Angus and Juli ... (http://twitter.com/Dermah/status/19563636938)

SteveJobsBitch
26th July 2010, 08:29 PM

pheew, you got me nervous

freefallgrue
26th July 2010, 08:34 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if people were already queuing… the first people in line are generally a combination of any of the following:

1. Attention whores
2. Unemployed
3. Halfwits
4. Virgins.

Every so often, you get that rare treasure:

5. Trolls.

supafly
26th July 2010, 10:51 PM
Well looks like you cant book a personal shopping session in regarding iPhone for Saturday, seems to be iMac only.... there goes that plan. :P

ojstagg93
26th July 2010, 11:35 PM
Anyone going to the midnight launch in Sydney going in after doctors so will be there for a fair amount of time.
Come join me

Reubania
26th July 2010, 11:58 PM

Cheers!!! :) I managed to take an hour off work (starting at 10am now), so gives me plenty of time to get one outright at Donnie....the drive home to my local Aus Post office to pick up the micro-SIM card and then drive all the way to work.

supafly
26th July 2010, 11:59 PM
Going by the press release it might be possible for me to order online. Fingers crossed for pre-orders!

freefallgrue
27th July 2010, 12:07 AM
Cheers!!! :) I managed to take an hour off work (starting at 10am now), so gives me plenty of time to get one outright at Donnie....the drive home to my local Aus Post office to pick up the micro-SIM card and then drive all the way to work.

Just one, you say? ;)

Reubania
27th July 2010, 12:23 AM
Just one, you say? ;)

Yes mate. Just one. That's all my credit card can handle!

freefallgrue
27th July 2010, 12:37 AM
Yes mate. Just one. That's all my credit card can handle!

PM sent :)

grep
27th July 2010, 12:41 AM
I'm thinking of lining up @ Chatswood.

Does anyone know if Chatswood Chase opened their carpark early for previous launches. Any other suggestions for nearby parking at low cost?

Alternative is a station not far from Chatswood where free parking should be a doddle around 4:30am.

alvse
27th July 2010, 09:46 AM
yagankiely... You going to be heading to the Subiaco midnight launch (now thats it's official). Did your source have any information on stock holdings there?

VOOK
27th July 2010, 11:06 AM
Telstra tells me on Twitter the midnight opening stores won't have outright iPhone 4's. So it's the Apple Store for me.

Probably now going to the Apple Store about 6am on Friday.

markhellewell
27th July 2010, 11:10 AM
Really need to find out if Telstra are going to be at Chadstone - I want outright, girlfriend wants contract! Her being able to get one (and thus permitting me to get one) is a precondition of them being there ;)

Jiahadye
27th July 2010, 11:22 AM
I'll be at the Apple store in Perth as early as I can, hoping to grab two phones.

dotnet
27th July 2010, 11:25 AM
Right now it looks like I'll be there for the midnight gig at the George St Telstra store in Sydney (opposite the Apple Store).

Cheers
Steffen.

decryption
27th July 2010, 11:27 AM
Really need to find out if Telstra are going to be at Chadstone - I want outright, girlfriend wants contract! Her being able to get one (and thus permitting me to get one) is a precondition of them being there ;)

Yes, Telstra will be at the Chadstone Apple store. T-Life will also be opening at midnight at Chadstone.

muhamadoikubaru
27th July 2010, 11:33 AM
Hey guys, I just got this email from Chadstone management:

"Yes, we will be expecting quite a few people, at the moment, we can only ask you to wait outside Coles entrance, as Apple will be opening at 8am, and Security along with our Marketing team are working out a strategy as to what time and how to let the excited customers in the centre in a safe and orderly manner. Hopefully, we should be getting the information later in the week, if you wish to call or email us again."

Nothing too new I suppose. I'll be asking again probably on late Wednesday/early Thursday and will let you guys know if there's any further developments.

drewbles
27th July 2010, 11:43 AM

They are opening at midnight:
http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/docs/iphone_4_locations.pdf

I'll be at the T-Life store Melbourne (Cnr Swanston/Bourke) from early evening with a friend braving the cold (most likely). Hoping the Optus plans released have made all the heavy data users forget how crap the Optus network is and make them re-sign there so I can get one on Telstra quickly ;)

Blaqjaq
27th July 2010, 01:01 PM
For those planning to be at the Perth Retail Store, I will have my Sim Cutter with me so if anybody wants to use it they are welcome to.

Cheers :)

findjh
27th July 2010, 01:05 PM
I'll be at Subi - not sure what time to be safe...who else? what time?

Brennan
27th July 2010, 01:09 PM
They are opening at midnight:
http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/docs/iphone_4_locations.pdf

I'll be at the T-Life store Melbourne (Cnr Swanston/Bourke) from early evening with a friend braving the cold (most likely). Hoping the Optus plans released have made all the heavy data users forget how crap the Optus network is and make them re-sign there so I can get one on Telstra quickly ;)

I work in Brunswick and finish at 5, so was going to go home, have dinner, put the kids to bed then come out, hoping to get to the store around 10-10:30ish.. Your thoughts?

Keep me a place in line and I'll bring you a hot coffee each when I arrive!!

drewbles
27th July 2010, 01:35 PM
I work in Brunswick and finish at 5, so was going to go home, have dinner, put the kids to bed then come out, hoping to get to the store around 10-10:30ish.. Your thoughts?

Keep me a place in line and I'll bring you a hot coffee each when I arrive!!

Hopefully people won't mind you jumping the queue. Coffee is good, white with one please, skinny latté if you can manage it ;)

FWIW, I'll happily bring along a micro-SIM cutter if anyone needs anything cutting. I know it's a Telstra store so it's unlikely anyone will need a SIM cutting, but hey I might as well make use of it.

If anyone wants a SIM cut then or before just PM me.

I'm aiming to be there around 8 or so with a friend for company. I'll cruise by after work and see if there is a queue, and have dinner somewhere nearby to keep an eye on it. Would rather sit in a café/restaurant than out in a queue:)

VOOK
27th July 2010, 01:46 PM
For those planning to be at the Perth Retail Store, I will have my Sim Cutter with me so if anybody wants to use it they are welcome to.

Cheers :)

Yes please I'll take two :D

dannyhilton
27th July 2010, 01:55 PM
Has anyone got a sim cutting who's lining up at Chermside? PLEASE!

tcn33
27th July 2010, 01:58 PM
I'm aiming to be there around 8 or so with a friend for company. I'll cruise by after work and see if there is a queue, and have dinner somewhere nearby to keep an eye on it. Would rather sit in a café/restaurant than out in a queue:)

This is pretty much exactly what I'm doing too :) Just like 2008 eh drewbles?

huey85
27th July 2010, 02:47 PM
so looks like I'll be @ Chadstone around 2am on Friday morning.. jeezus, never thought I'd ever line up for something so early in the morning, in my LIFE.

alvse
27th July 2010, 02:51 PM
I'll be at Subi - not sure what time to be safe...who else? what time?

I will be at subi... I'm probably going to be there around 6:30... too early?

findjh
27th July 2010, 03:07 PM
I will be at subi... I'm probably going to be there around 6:30... too early?
I was thinking 9 but I live close so i will keep an eye on it - I called them re stock allocation and their reply was 'a few' so i don't want to be to far back in the line.

Anyone have inside info on stock numbers in Telstra stores?

drewbles
27th July 2010, 03:20 PM
This is pretty much exactly what I'm doing too :) Just like 2008 eh drewbles?

Yeah but this time I might actually meet you (how on earth did I miss you considering I was in the first 10 as well!)

Joining the migration away from Optus eh? ;)

Rant
27th July 2010, 03:22 PM
Chermside have not finished coordinating theirs yet. But they did say they expect the centre to be open all night because Telstra are doing a midnight opening, so at least one door will be open all night with security.

Chermside should be interesting. 2 bites at the cherry (so to speak).

If you miss out at Telstra at midnight, you can line up at Apple Store for 8am.

VOOK
27th July 2010, 03:24 PM
Any more Perthicans for the Apple Store then?

Brennan
27th July 2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah but this time I might actually meet you (how on earth did I miss you considering I was in the first 10 as well!)

+1 coffee then?

tcn33
27th July 2010, 03:29 PM

Nah, I left long ago when I moved outside the 2100MHz network. Last year at this time Anthony and I were two of the five people in line at TLife Bourke St - I'm tipping there'll be a few more this year :p

drewbles
27th July 2010, 03:36 PM
+1 coffee then?

Looks like it'll be the three of us at least:)

Nah, I left long ago when I moved outside the 2100MHz network. Last year at this time Anthony and I were two of the five people in line at TLife Bourke St - I'm tipping there'll be a few more this year :p

I'm guessing so, although wait till Voda/3 release their plans tomorrow. Some may just go to Vodafone as a compromise :)

SteveJobsBitch
27th July 2010, 04:11 PM
anyone going to apple store on george street in sydney with a micro sim cutter? haha

drewbles
27th July 2010, 04:18 PM
anyone going to apple store on george street in sydney with a micro sim cutter? haha

Apple stores will have Telco staff there. Chances are they can probably swap them out for you and let you activate from home.

But who knows :)

I'll have my cutter with me but I don't get to Sydney until 1pm:(

skyhawkmatthew
27th July 2010, 04:20 PM
Well, neither Telstra store in Port Macquarie thinks they're going to have stock on Friday, so there's no chance I can have one then. :(

SteveJobsBitch
27th July 2010, 04:22 PM
Apple stores will have Telco staff there. Chances are they can probably swap them out for you and let you activate from home.

But who knows :)

I'll have my cutter with me but I don't get to Sydney until 1pm:(

the thing is my simcard is very special ;)

cant let telstra find out sort of thing..

drewbles
27th July 2010, 04:29 PM
the thing is my simcard is very special ;)

cant let telstra find out sort of thing..

Umm ok (I've got "special" SIM's too hence my cutter, but they are all test stuff for work).

If you need it cutting, have a look around here i've seen people offer to cut 'em in the queue, but i'll not be in the queue (I'll be around Circular Quay but hey am still happy to cut 'em up with the punch).

Bradster
27th July 2010, 04:32 PM
Has anyone got a sim cutting who's lining up at Chermside? PLEASE!
You can buy one off me for $20 cash if you like...

I have two. I'm keeping the other.

nicktak
27th July 2010, 04:51 PM

I think I'll prob be there (Apple store) from 6am.

Thrymr
27th July 2010, 05:03 PM

I'm leaning toward an outright purchase, so yes, I should be there.

MattJelonek
27th July 2010, 06:36 PM
Optus in the CBD are opening at midnight and having iPhone 4s and special shindig.

supafly
27th July 2010, 06:37 PM
Heard whispers around work today that Chermside may open at midnight on Thursday...anyone else heard anything like this??

timmytomtam
27th July 2010, 06:53 PM
I'm getting to my local Optus World at 7am (2 hours before it opens) and hoping for the best :)