PDA

View Full Version : Macbook vs Macbook Pro

sparky13
22nd July 2010, 07:08 PM
Ok so I'm just wondering what the real differences between a macbook pro and a standard macbook.

Let's say that they had the exact same specs (which some older model pro's are the same (practically) as a new macbook in terms of specs) what is the difference?

I've seen so far, the screen and SD card reader. What's the real difference in the screens?

Seakip
22nd July 2010, 07:13 PM
The alumimium unibody. It makes it so much stronger, scratch proof and looks better (IMO).

I'd highly recommend going for it as you also get double the RAM.

sparky13
22nd July 2010, 07:21 PM
The alumimium unibody. It makes it so much stronger, scratch proof and looks better (IMO).

I'd highly recommend going for it as you also get double the RAM.

So I get a better look, better body and 2GB ram for $250? To me that doesn't seem worth it

Bogus Jimmy
22nd July 2010, 07:23 PM
Backlit keyboard...

sparky13
22nd July 2010, 07:25 PM
That's definitely a good thing, but still, I don't see the $250 difference

Another question, can refurbished macs be upgraded (ram etc) through the online apple store on check out. I can't seem to see it

Bogus Jimmy
22nd July 2010, 07:30 PM
Oh, and SD Card slot & Firewire 800

Apple - Mac - Which MacBook is right for you? - Comparison Chart (http://www.apple.com/au/mac/whichmacbook/compare.html)

sparky13
22nd July 2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the link Jimmy. I just had a look comparing the macbook to the cheap pro. Here are the differences:
Macbook vs Macbook Pro
$1249 vs $1499
2GB vs 4GB
Polycarbonate vs Aluminium body
No firewire vs firewire
No SD vs SD
Standard keyboard vs Backlit keyboard

So, for the $250 I get and to me they are worth:
2GB extra ram $90 (http://www.ramcity.com.au/product/KIN1-AM)13I-2G-09.htm)
aluminium body $50
Firewire to me nothing at this stage
SD $20 can get an external card reader if I needed a card reader
Backlit $50 this is definitely a good thing

Total: $210 worth of extras for me. It would be over $250 if I needed firewire etc so I guess I can see the benifit but still unsure

g4cube
22nd July 2010, 07:42 PM
Don't forget about better resale value on the MBP.

sparky13
22nd July 2010, 07:43 PM
Don't forget about better resale value on the MBP.

That's a good point there. I should remember that.

Another question, can refurbished macs be upgraded (ram etc) through the online apple store on check out. I can't seem to see it

cosmichobo
22nd July 2010, 08:01 PM
Problem solved. Get the Macbook.

But you wont be cool.

ThexMac
22nd July 2010, 08:21 PM
Aluminium MBP is a computer you'll really enjoy owning. Engineering on the MBP is amazing.
Resale will be great in a couple of years.
I opted for faster HDD and HiRes Screen. I think there's enough ram to cope with most things...

Starscream
22nd July 2010, 08:22 PM
Sparky my man, you tell me where you can get an aluminium uni body plasma cut and carved, hollowed with water jets for $50. Thats right, you can't. lol.

sparky13
22nd July 2010, 08:31 PM
Sparky my man, you tell me where you can get an aluminium uni body plasma cut and carved, hollowed with water jets for $50. Thats right, you can't. lol.

That would most likely be completely right, haha. I think you've sold me on the pro :) Can you get 7200RPM HDD's Thexmac or did you go SSDs?

Seakip
22nd July 2010, 09:08 PM
For 250$ you will get a laptop that won't be scratched, this will increase the resell value way more than 250$.

You also get a backlit keyboard, SD card reader, Firewiere 800 and double the RAM for 250$.

DomDom
22nd July 2010, 09:16 PM
Don't forget that you can't use the Apple remote the macbook. :-(

This was a let down when I found out after I bought one.

Dom

ThexMac
22nd July 2010, 11:09 PM
That would most likely be completely right, haha. I think you've sold me on the pro :) Can you get 7200RPM HDD's Thexmac or did you go SSDs?

I can't afford SSD's... You prolly can't either ;)

Yes 7200 is better... I've been building PC's and upgrading macs a long time...

I put 60GB SSD in my PC and it flies...

Wait until your next uprgaded MBP Unibody with touch pad keyboard [no keys]
in about 2-3 years from Apple. By then SSD will be same price per GB as curreent HDD.

Also I opted to keep the screen and not go non-reflective because they actually remove the nice finished surface and black frame which I don't like... saw in Apple Shop...

I really enjoy my MBP Unibody...

sparky13
23rd July 2010, 07:34 AM
I can't afford SSD's... You prolly can't either ;)

Yes 7200 is better... I've been building PC's and upgrading macs a long time...

I put 60GB SSD in my PC and it flies...

Wait until your next uprgaded MBP Unibody with touch pad keyboard [no keys]
in about 2-3 years from Apple. By then SSD will be same price per GB as curreent HDD.

Also I opted to keep the screen and not go non-reflective because they actually remove the nice finished surface and black frame which I don't like... saw in Apple Shop...

I really enjoy my MBP Unibody...

I pressumed that I just haven't seen the option (online at least) to change to 7200RPM. I'd love to do that but I can't seem to find it. I'll try again :)

EDIT: Yah only options available are:

250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm [Add A$ 70.00]
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm [Add A$ 210.00]
128GB solid-state drive [Add A$ 490.00]
256GB solid-state drive [Add A$ 1,120.00]
512GB solid-state drive [Add A$ 2,030.00

ThexMac
23rd July 2010, 09:36 AM
I pressumed that I just haven't seen the option (online at least) to change to 7200RPM. I'd love to do that but I can't seem to find it. I'll try again :)

EDIT: Yah only options available are:

250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm [Add A$ 70.00]
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm [Add A$ 210.00]
128GB solid-state drive [Add A$ 490.00]
256GB solid-state drive [Add A$ 1,120.00]
512GB solid-state drive [Add A$ 2,030.00
Spark Mate....
The MacBook Pro offers:Configure - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/configure/MC372X/A?mco=MTc0NjkxNDU)

ClockWork
23rd July 2010, 09:48 AM
It all boils back down to what you actually intend using it for.

A MacBook is effectively an Apple laptop for folks who like to surf the internet, email people, have an online chat, do a bit of work, snap off some photos and send them to people and so forth.

A MacBook Pro is the Professional version and is aimed at people who would, for instance, want to edit a film whilst on a 12 hour flight, or use it in a photo studio to manipulate a shot on site, or bring it along to a jam in order to manipulate music - and therefore it's more powerful, has more ports, larger screen sizes available and can take a 7200 rpm HDD.

7200 rpm basically equals intensive video and sound production.

All you need to ask yourself is: What am I really gonna use it for?

That's not to say peeps don't purchase MacBook Pros and then use them to surf the net and nothing more, just as people will go into a shoe store and buy a pair of Bottega Venetas when a $35 pair of Sand Shoes would serve their needs just as well.

sparky13
23rd July 2010, 03:37 PM
That's why, the 13" doesn't allow for the upgrade :(

EDIT: As I asked before, is it possible for refurbs to be upgraded before they leave the apple store?

Salamander
23rd July 2010, 04:35 PM
It might cost you a little bit more to get the extra 2Gb RAM yourself. I think you'll have to throw out the installed 2 sticks of 1Gb and buy 2 sticks of 2Gb rather than just a single stick of 2Gb. That gets it a little bit closer to the $250 difference.

sparky13
23rd July 2010, 04:59 PM
True true there salamander :) I'm now deciding which way's the best way to get the best possible mac pro for the cheapest cost. Won't have the money for a month though. When do the new macs come out (new range)? Or is this range fairly new?

ClockWork
23rd July 2010, 05:10 PM
A Mac Pro?
A Mac Pro (http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro) is the most expensive of Apple Mac's one can buy, and you'd be shelling out for a Display Unit also.

What do you want to use an Apple computer for?
Did you have a specific usage in mind?

sparky13
23rd July 2010, 05:24 PM
Lol, sorry macbook pro :)

ClockWork
23rd July 2010, 05:40 PM
They are the new range.

13" MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz released Mid-2010.

13" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz / 2.66 GHz released Mid-2010.
15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz / 2.53 GHz / 2.66 GHz released Mid-2010.
17" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz / 2.66 GHz released Mid-2010.

You could wait a year and wait another year and each year the new new will come out and your pockets will never keep up... which returns to the question - as yet unanswered: What would you use one for?

sparky13
23rd July 2010, 05:57 PM
You could wait a year and wait another year and each year the new new will come out and your pockets will never keep up... which returns to the question - as yet unanswered: What would you use one for?

Haha, yah sorry. I'll do the following:

Basic stuff (internet,word processing, excel etc
Graphics editing (a reasonable amount though not on high high res images)
Want to do some video editing (not very much and not ful HD or anything)
Possible gaming though probably not :)

EDIT: Also, html/php/css editing though that definitely isn't resource hungry

ClockWork
23rd July 2010, 06:13 PM
Haha, yah sorry. I'll do the following:

Basic stuff (internet,word processing, excel etc
Graphics editing (a reasonable amount though not on high high res images)
Want to do some video editing (not very much and not ful HD or anything)
Possible gaming though probably not :)

EDIT: Also, html/php/css editing though that definitely isn't resource hungry

A 13" MacBook will do all of that. Seriously.

I have an older machine from early 2005, before Intel Core 2 Duo Processors, running a PowerPC Processor on OS X and have used it for years to create large format print graphics, hi-res photography, animation and movie editing, plus games.

sparky13
23rd July 2010, 06:20 PM
Yah, I know it will easily do all that but what about in terms of multi tasking? If I'm running itunes + google chrome + a photo editing program at the same time? On a PC you'd be borderline but I'm unsure on a mac. Also, I forgot to mention, I'll probably need to vm or boot camp windows. VMing would need at least 4GB wouldn't it?

ClockWork
23rd July 2010, 07:33 PM
I can multi-task iPhoto, web-browsing, iTunes, Photoshop, In-Design, Illustrator - or around 20 apps open all at once on my Power PC (non-intel core) Apple Mac.

Both MacBook and MacBook Pro can be maxed out to 8 GB RAM.

sparky13
23rd July 2010, 09:49 PM
Ok, so by the looks of it any mac'll do for my needs :) Cheapest it is (in a macbook pro). I'll wait till I have the cash first though