PDA

View Full Version : Bigpond ZTE modem not working after Virgin HUAWEI installed

katie
22nd July 2010, 11:22 AM
Needing help:
I purchased a brand new iMac and got a BigPond ZTE MF633BP+ USB modem working and updated my system software. I then installed another USB modem, Virgin's HUAWEI E169 which works great, but now am I no longer able to use the BigPond modem. Internet Connect error "PPP server not responding".
Any suggestions anybody? BigPond has not been able to give me a solution.

Wally
22nd July 2010, 04:20 PM
Are you using the BigPond Connection client?

I suggest you connect via the Network preference pane. ( > System Preferences > Network)

There should be a device called ZTEModem. (ignore the others)
Enter *99# as the phone number
Enter your BigPond details in the username / password field.
Click Connect
It's a much cleaner way of connecting and as an added bonus you can install a menu bar item which will allow you to connect without opening applications!

katie
31st July 2010, 11:31 AM
thanks for your suggestion, but still not working. I have tried to remove all files associated with Virgin Broadband (using AppZapper and deleting PPP passwords in Keychain Access) but there must be something else interfering with the BigPond user/password. BigPond tech support tells me they are receiving an incorrect user/password. I have a MacMini OSX 10.4.11 and an iMac OSX 10.6.4 and neither can connect with BigPond.
Error is "Network Connection You were disconnected because the PPP server is not responding. Try reconnecting."
Unfortunately I have no problems connecting the USB modem on a PC... :(

sleek881
31st July 2010, 12:06 PM
Are actually using the Bigpond Connection Software? I have a USB Telstra Modem and if you have been using a different modem you will need to reinstall the Bigpond software.

katie
14th August 2010, 09:47 AM
Reinstalled system software and now it is working. :)