PDA

View Full Version : ipod purchase, duty free or edu discount?

_xfire
26th July 2004, 10:49 PM
so i will be heading over to japan in march, and i've decided that i can't go without an ipod.
i'm thinking about buying one duty free (a friend who went over to NZ in feb bought a 3rd Gen 20G duty free but i am yet to hear his advice), or alternatively, getting one of my uni attending friends to be in attendance when i buy one ;)
i've never bought anything duty free so i'm not even sure of what kind of savings are involved. at least with edu discount i have an idea of the price.
What are your thoughts?

OziMac
26th July 2004, 11:13 PM
For Australian citizens leaving the country (and in fact, also for tourists leaving Australia) there is no longer any such thing as 'duty free'.

Instead, there is the Tourist Refund Scheme (http://www.customs.gov.au), similar to the Tax Free traveller schemes across Europe.

This is how it works:

1) You buy something (or a bunch of things) 30 days before you leave the country and get them all on a tax invoice in your name (the total for which must be over $300).

2) You take the items in your hand luggage and show them to the person at the TRS counter at customs after you pass immigration at the airport.

3) You fill out a form and they will refund the GST to your credit card or nominated bank account. I can't recall how it works with cash. It usually takes a couple of weeks to go through.

Now here's the kicker - this works EVEN on the EDU items of course - so if you buy something at an EDU price and comply with the above conditions on your way out, you WILL get the GST refunded back on your EDU purchase - so instead of paying $649 for a 40GB iPod, you will in fact pay only $530 odd. Just remember to ensure that the EDU purchase is in YOUR name, or else you won't be able to make the refund claim.

_xfire
26th July 2004, 11:17 PM
oh :(
that sucks.
i'm not a student anymore so i couldn't do the double 'gst refund + edu discount' thing.
so it will be one or the other, which ever is going to save me more money and which is going to be most practical.
thanks for that bit of info though, much appreciated!

OziMac
26th July 2004, 11:30 PM
xfire,

On the numbers you would probably JUST find it cheaper getting the EDU dicount which for the 40GB goes to $583, whereas the GST refund will get you to $589 (not that I am advocating making an ineligible EDU purchase!).

For the 20GB, the EDU price is $449, whilst the GST refund gets you to $453.

So there's not much in it. Given that the warranty be in your name if you make the purchase yourself, I think a couple of dollars is well worth it.

Husq
26th July 2004, 11:34 PM
However if you check the current price of the iPod in Japan, it is Y44,940 which converts to
AUD $576.69. If you get the GST back from puchases in japan take 5% off this price (if that is still Japans GST).

OziMac
26th July 2004, 11:39 PM
Hmm, yeah. You won't be getting the tax back in Japan - unless you find a new iPod in the duty free area of the Airport, or in an authorised 'tax free' store - unlikely.

And you'd assume he wants music for the long flight over too... that was the kicker for me in buying an iPod before I went to the US even though it might have been only slightly cheaper at the time to get it there instead of get it here with refunds. Sometimes money isn't the most important thing - certainly not a matter of $10... :)

_xfire
26th July 2004, 11:40 PM
yeah i thought about that but wouldn't the ipod's language settings be in japanese? and issues with them having a different voltage?
(and i would also like music for the plane, which is also one of my considerations to not go duty free)
also, the parents work for colesmyer so i get a 3% discount at megamart... knocks off about $20 from a 40G. But, i could go to streetwise (http://streetwise.com.au) and they have 40G ipods for $629.
AARRRGGGHHH (brain is about to explode) :ph34r:
luckily this trip is still 7 months away!

OziMac
26th July 2004, 11:44 PM
LOL - I was about to suggest some more figures for you, but 7 months????

Dude, either there will be much much larger iPods by then or the prices will have DIVED - 7 months ago you had to fork out $900 for a 40GB...

Come back to us in February of next year, after Macworld San Francisco, and we can tell you all about how to get the GST back on the new iPod G5s or whatever lol ;)

_xfire
26th July 2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jul 26 2004, 11:44 PM
LOL - I was about to suggest some more figures for you, but 7 months????

Dude, either there will be much much larger iPods by then or the prices will have DIVED - 7 months ago you had to fork out $900 for a 40GB...

Come back to us in February of next year, after Macworld San Francisco, and we can tell you all about how to get the GST back on the new iPod G5s or whatever lol ;)
[quote]

that is so true!
:lol:
maybe i should be a bit more patient...

Husq
26th July 2004, 11:52 PM
Can't speak for everyone, but when I travel I find I don't really use the iPod as much as I thought I would. Can't figure out why considering the console games on the plane.
I have friends who said the same thing.
I'd grab one now being the beginning of the product cycle for the 4th Gen iPod.

OziMac
27th July 2004, 12:00 AM
Yeah Matt, I agree to some extent - I only really used it on the plane when I got bored of the console games and movies. But great for long waits in airports, bus/train trips or walking (obviously, preferable with non-white headphones).

And I also agree that now is a good time to buy generally speaking - however, given that they've overinflated theAustralian price compared with the US price, I have a feeling that it may drop again before the year is out (or if they DO release a 60GB model, which I don't see happening soon in any event)...

frenchtoast
27th July 2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jul 26 2004, 11:44 PM
oh please dont talk about 5thG iPods. The current ones have broken enough hearts by omitting a dock, remote and carry case. And can you imagine the speculation it will start on this thread?

OziMac
27th July 2004, 06:59 AM
lol - funny, it does look that way, but I was actually trying to be a smart arse by saying iPod G5s (as in Power PC 970s)...meaning so absurd that i SHOULDN'T be speculation, but oh well ;)

estoyloco
27th July 2004, 10:11 AM
the_argon edit: Way off topic. Please don't hijack threads.

OziMac
27th July 2004, 10:14 AM
Dude, just because this is the most active thread doesn't mean you can throw in something totally irrelevant like this - you've already got a whole thread on it in Apple Hardware - Disko's going to move your post in any case - just bump up your other one...