PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to buy a macbook

sparky13
21st July 2010, 12:57 PM
I'm looking at buying a macbook for as cheap as possible so that I can use OSX :) My sister borrowed a macbook from school and I loved how it worked etc, and it was fairly fast even though it's an older macbook. Anyway, so I want to make the switch from windows. I'm thinking of going with a macbook because of the price but want to try to pay around the $500 mark. Not sure if this is really possible but what is there available that's used or refurbished for around that price? Is there a site that deals used macs or anything? I'd love to check out the trade section here but would have to wait 45 days.

EDIT: I'm currently keeping an eye on one on ebay that doesn't come with the power adaptor. The model is: A1181 I can't seem to find any available on ebay for that price. How much would I be looking at to buy one and where from?

Chief911
21st July 2010, 01:52 PM
I would also watch the apple online refurb store! No MacBooks there at the moment but if your not in a hurry i wait till something shows up there.
No chance at $500, going to have to go more around $900.

The refurb store is in the bottom left hand side of the online store in the bar. Keep an eye on it...

EDIT: Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/specialdeals/mac)

sparky13
21st July 2010, 01:54 PM
Any idea how often they update it? Also, by what I've seen in terms of ebay sales, 2008/2009 macbook models (with decent specs) can sell for ~$500

EDIT: Another question, is there any discounts as a high school student?

ThexMac
21st July 2010, 02:39 PM
There is an education discount... look for it in the online store.
But I don't think it's available for refurbs the last time I looked...

sparky13
21st July 2010, 02:40 PM
I looked at that but it appears to be for staff etc only

gehenna
21st July 2010, 02:49 PM
In lieu of waiting for your trading forum rights, you will need to keep an eye on eBay or Gumtree if you want to go second hand. The refurb store is great though, search the forums here and you will find a lot of info about it.

sparky13
21st July 2010, 02:59 PM
Any idea on the price the refurb macbooks usually go for. Had a quick search around but didn't see anything. I'll try again

sparky13
21st July 2010, 04:49 PM
Ok another question. I'm looking at a macbook at the moment with a broken super drive. How expensive would it be to repair? ish. Links are good too

Chief911
21st July 2010, 05:44 PM
My dad's computer had this problem a few years ago and it was over $500!

Might be cheaper now or alternatives available...

sparky13
21st July 2010, 05:48 PM
My dad's computer had this problem a few years ago and it was over $500!

Might be cheaper now or alternatives available...

Wow, haha. I think I've decided I'll wait 45 days. Have a look on here and by then I'll have more cash and will have access to the trade stuff on here. In the mean time I'll learn more about macs I guess :)

Chief911
28th July 2010, 12:01 AM
New macbooks in the referb store also mac-min's might be worth a look

Mac mini - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_mini)

MacBook - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook)

Thats about as cheep as it gets...

sparky13
30th July 2010, 03:54 PM
I've decided to wait it out for a while and get some more cash + then have access to the trade section. I've been watching reurb.me and found the perfect one. It's this one:

$1269
13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

Also, I'll get apple care cheap as from ebay here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AppleCare-Warranty-Macbook-Air-13-Macbook-Pro-LOCAL-/130414059462?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Computers_Apple_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5d489fc6#ht_3511wt_997)

I may end up getting it new or used when I have the money and decide to do a bit more looking around, but I'm pretty much definite I'll get the apple care from there unless I can get it cheaper or if that place is dodgy

sparky13
10th August 2010, 04:52 PM
Just wondering, if I bought a macbook pro/a refurbished one from the US (as I'm heading there at the end of they year), will there be any issues with warranty back in Australia?

Rust
11th August 2010, 12:39 PM
Nope, Apple products usually have a global warranty. The only issue will be the charger - you'll need a converter/adapter.

sparky13
11th August 2010, 04:22 PM
Yah that's what I was thinking. Any issue with Chinese fakes costing ~$30?

Seakip
11th August 2010, 06:16 PM
If you're a student, I'd assume you would want to take the Macbook with you.

The best things I did was get a Macbook Pro for myself, though you could get a Macbook for less, you would want to upgrade to 4GB RAM and the difference between adding that and a MBP is not substatial.

Yes, 1500$ is out of your pricerange but totally worth it.

sparky13
11th August 2010, 08:09 PM
@Seakip: That's why I'm looking at the $1269 refurb macbook pro. Look on refurb.me for it as it's not currently available :)