PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Vodafone users in Qld

Devil rolla
21st July 2010, 09:18 AM
Hey...
So, I have been with Optarse for 14 years, and only because of Mactalk i grabbed a telstra pre-paid sim and was blown away with the comparison of the speed of the network. So i cancelled my optus plan ( 4 months remaining ), moved to telstra and its been sweet.
Since also owning an ipad, i had found myself using my iphone less and less each day, so i sold it. ( 3G with the 4.0 dread )
Now using my wifes old LG Viewty ( dont laugh ) and i find myself just after a phone now, not a smartphone. The consolation is since I don't "need" a smartphone, I could get myself the nexus one and be happy if it wasn't as good as an iphone could be.
So, with all that guff, Vodafone are the only ones that offer the nexus and I have no friends on that network and was wondering what the coverage / data speeds were like. I live on the northside / north lakes but at home i have wifi and at work also, wifi.
Is it a network that is usable, or should it be avoided like Optarse ?
cheers,
Steve

decryption
21st July 2010, 09:49 AM
If you don't want an iPhone, go to Telstra and get a HTC Desire free on a $49/month cap plan.

Goodbye
21st July 2010, 09:52 AM
I have Telstra pre-paid on my iPad, and Vodafone on my iPhone - the speeds and coverage are like chalk and cheese. I'm on the Sunshine Coast and more often than not, there's no 3G on the iPhone, and when there is it's slower than dialup.

The iPad on Telstra, on the other hand, is lightning fast everywhere.

Devil rolla
21st July 2010, 10:01 AM
If you don't want an iPhone, go to Telstra and get a HTC Desire free on a $49/month cap plan.

Yeah, but the desire doesn't get me happy in my pants like the thought of a nexus one does..

I have Telstra pre-paid on my iPad, and Vodafone on my iPhone - the speeds and coverage are like chalk and cheese. I'm on the Sunshine Coast and more often than not, there's no 3G on the iPhone, and when there is it's slower than dialup.

The iPad on Telstra, on the other hand, is lightning fast everywhere.

Hmm, well the consolation is that I could get the phone on the cheapest plan from vodafone, throw the sim in the draw 29plan/20handset and just keep using my telstra sim in the phone. When i get the cash maybe payout the handset.

Before i make any decisions, i will wait til next week to see what rabbit telstra have. The way they have geared themselves lately I wont be surprised if they flaw everyone with the new plans for iphone 4 and rip alot of people from optus and vodafone.

Abit bummed that telstra is the only telco that seem to have their shit together. Meh

decryption
21st July 2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah, but the desire doesn't get me happy in my pants like the thought of a nexus one does..

You do realise that they're the exact same phone?
The Desire hasn't got those stupid touch sensitive buttons, so it's slightly better and Google has even discontinued the Nexus One.
Go to the HTC Desire.

Or like, come to your senses and just get an iPhone 4 on July 30th.

Devil rolla
21st July 2010, 10:16 AM
lol, decryption your a funny bugger.
The phones are the same, yes, but voice to text, dual microphones etc etc, i've researched the N1 and Desire and the N1 is my preferred.
The nexus hasn't been discontinued, it will stop being sold from the Google page. They have listed that the handset will still be sold through a distributor (un-named yet ) and developers will still be able to buy the handsets for testing applications.

The big draw for me really, is that with the ipad i don't "need" an iphone, all i need really is a wifi hotspot, aka andriod. I know i can jb an iphone and get the same feature for 20 bucks, but i don't care for that. If the stock OS can supply this to me (2.2) then thats all i'd need, ( i also purchased a manbag, again with mactalks influence ) so the ipad is with me most of the time.

*shrugs*, I am guessing the nexus wont come off the vodafone site in the next week and a half before the 4 is announced, so i can cool my jets til then. Want to keep my monthly telco outgoings as low as possible whilst still being happy with the device in my pants.... Mu ha ha.

Devil rolla
21st July 2010, 10:18 AM
my info from wired:
Google to Stop Selling Nexus One | Gadget Lab | Wired.com (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/07/google-to-stop-selling-nexus-one/)