PDA

View Full Version : Lousy Vodafone 3G data + voice performance vs. EDGE/GPRS

nexus177
19th July 2010, 05:07 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been with Vodafone for 2 years with both the iPhone 3G + the 3GS.

Throughout all this time, I have notice (regardless of which iOS version is used) that Vodafone seems to have very lousy data performance when on the 3G network. Data will simply not load at all, despite that spinning symbol in the status bar. And on those odd days where data does seem to flow to the phone, it is painfully slow.

In addition placing calls can take even as long as 30 secs before you even start to hear the phone ring. This has been my experience with 3 different iPhone handsets I have used (3G + my first 3GS, and my second replacement 3GS Apple provided me when I called AppleCare about this issue).

What I've noticed is that when you disable 3G - and the phone switches to EDGE or GPRS - all these issues seem to either disappear completely or drastically improve. All issues with voice calls are resolved (in my experience at least) and data actually loads first time, every time (though slower compared to typical 3G speeds).

Has anyone else noticed this? or perhaps totally different experiences on the Vodafone network comparing 3G and 2G?

I have tried speaking to Vodafone about these issues many times during the 2 years I've been with them, and besides the smug and incompetent attitude or advising a network reset - they are rather useless.

DeKa
19th July 2010, 05:11 PM
Have you complained? I did, for two specific locations where this occurred for me and it was fixed within about 3 months. It could be coincidental, but I don't think so.

LevMac
20th July 2010, 08:56 PM
I think Vodafone are gonna have alot of customers leave their network !

Check the other thread for details........

vernflan
21st July 2010, 09:10 AM
Nexuss, this is the same thing that happens to me. I dont ever have my 3G turned on for this exact reason. I dont know if the iphone 4 will fix this problem but i hope so.

nexus177
21st July 2010, 12:30 PM
I've been having this issue since day 1 with the Vodafone network (granted I've only had iPhones on the network - have no idea what its like with a different handset).

What really annoyed me was seeing a mate's iPhone on the Three network with full bars and really fast broadband data performance in almost any area - whilst my phone on Vodafone stuck at 3 bars at most, and no data at all being received.

I'm very tempted to switch networks... the only thing Vodafone has done right is visual voicemail, but you sure do pay for it with a crippled pathetic network. :angry: