PDA

View Full Version : Clean Install - Extra Quesions

tcimac
19th July 2010, 03:53 PM
I know how to do a clean install. I am thinking it would be worth while doing one to get rid of any 'bugs' that might be in my OS that are causing my machine to run sluggish etc..

However, I want to find out about what I should be doing post the clean install?

Rather than restore my system from Time Machine and run the risk of just re-loading any of those problems. Can I pick and choose what I restore?? If so, what should that be??
Should I download all my apps' DMG files and install them fresh?
How do I save my bookmarks on an External HD for retrieval later?
Is there any other advice you would like to give?

glacierdave
19th July 2010, 04:10 PM
If you truly want a clean install then a TimeMachine backup won't really be of use. It's great for selective installs while you're current OS is functioning but more difficult once you do a clean install.

The ideal solution is to export data out of the programs you want (e.g. Address Book, iCal, Mail.app, Safari, etc) and save the resulting export data files somewhere safe (external hdd, pen drive, whatever...).

If you know where all this stuff is stored in a normal OS install, you can create a full backup (Disk Utility, CCC, SuperDuper, et al) and then extract it from that backup later but you might run into a few permissions issues that'll need to get fixed.

If you're keen on a fresh install it's worth re-downloading apps as well - it's a chance to make sure you've got the latest version installed, that you've considered if you still use that app or an alternative (or if there's a new alternative that's better).

If your OS still works, export data from your programs. If it doesn't make a full disk image backup and extract data selectively from it.

Other advice? Have plenty of backups. Make sure you have at least one full disk image that can be used to fully restore you computer to working condition. If all else fails, at least you can return it to it's original state while you resolve some other problem you might run into.