PDA

View Full Version : Stay With Netspace 1500 Or Move To Bigpond Cable?

adamjc
22nd September 2005, 08:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am currently on the Netspace 1500 plan paying $59.95 a month for 10GB downloads (5Gb PEAK and 5Gb OFF-PEAK).

I have been with them for over 2 years and started on the 256 plan and slowly moved up.

I am tempted to try Bigpond Cable as everyone says that it is meant to be faster than the 1500 plan I am on.

At home at the moment we have Foxtel Digital with two outlets, and I am thinking about putting in the Wireless Motorola Modem Bigpond provides, and adding an additional outlet to make a total of three. This modem would serve an Apple iMac, and a Windows Notebook, we currently have a wireless setup using a Netgear modem connected to an Airport Express, but I want it all in one this time.

I am in Keilor, Melbourne, and just wondering if any one has any experience with the general speeds around here!

I am looking at the Unlimited plan for $69.95 but that comes down to $59.95 because of home phone and Foxtel being bundled.

At the moment my downloads from an Optusnet server are generally around 145kbs.

Mayby select your answer by using the poll, if you dont want to reply.

Thanks,

Adam.

(Also posted same topic at whirlpool forums under Bigpond Internet Forum, under username Whattheii)

marc
22nd September 2005, 08:24 PM
I'd go for Internode ADSL2+ if you can get it where you live. I think the theoretical max throughput is 24mbps.

In fact, I'll be changing from a TPG 1.5mbps plan as soon as I can.

ADSL2+ is supposed to be mad.

adamjc
22nd September 2005, 08:26 PM
Ok so is ADSL2+ faster than Cable and if so I wonder if Netspace will bring it.

I thought that Internode ADSL2+ you need to be with them for a phone service or something.

Thanks,

Adam.

mac_man_luke
22nd September 2005, 08:29 PM
I would not go to cable, i would just find a better value ADSL provider

adamjc
22nd September 2005, 08:38 PM
The thing holding me back is that I have been relatively happy with Netspace but streaming video is so choppy with buffering all the time.

For instance CNN video buffers every 5 or so seconds, and I thought that shouldnt happen on a 1500 plan. Although video from News.com.au is fine.

Is that normal...and will it be for cable?

DJY
22nd September 2005, 08:43 PM
Bigpond = evil.
ADSL technology has lots of room to improve.
I'm hanging out for ADSL2...
or even for evil Telstra to flick the switch to allow faster ADSL than 1500... it can go up to 8000 if they wanted!

adamjc
22nd September 2005, 08:50 PM
Ok so the recommendation is to stay put for now.

I was just thinking about the move, different benefits etc.

Thanks.

Adam.

Wheels
22nd September 2005, 08:51 PM
I'm on Bigpond Cable and I can't wait for my contract to end! Yeah the service is reliable but the prices are terrible! They could be making a fortune if they lower their prices considering that they have the power to charge other providers more for the service!!

adamjc
22nd September 2005, 09:13 PM
Have you been happy with the service though wheels?

Is the speed what you expected to be?

Thanks.

Kildare
22nd September 2005, 09:38 PM
Meh. Telstra cable for 5+ years.
Reliable & happy with but you're you're going to pimp up the downloads get ADSL.

mac_man_luke
22nd September 2005, 10:04 PM
Iv got bigpond cable and iv been mostly happy bar the download limits/price

LCGuy
22nd September 2005, 10:15 PM
Maybe i'm biased, but if i were you i'd stay the heck away from Telstra.

Bart Smastard
22nd September 2005, 10:22 PM
The big worry with Telstra is that the charge per megabyte after you exceed your download limit. I'm with optus and although my download speed would be limited if I went over my limit at least my credit card balance would stay intact.

adamjc
22nd September 2005, 10:36 PM
The Cable plan I am looking at is Unlimited and gets slowed to 64kbs after you exceed 10GB.

Plan info: http://www.bigpond.com/internet-plans/broa...ted/default.asp (http://www.bigpond.com/internet-plans/broadband/cable/unlimited/default.asp)

Squozen
22nd September 2005, 11:02 PM
Is the Cnet video buffering because it needs a faster connection than 1.5Mbps, or is the server unable to deliver it fast enough? Use Activity Monitor to check. If you're not getting 150KB/sec from Cnet with ADSL, going to cable isn't going to make a speck of difference.

I changed from cable to 1500/256 ADSL and the drop in download speed was only really noticeable on massive downloads, but I love the increased upload bandwidth. I'd take ADSL2+ in a flash.

mac_man_luke
22nd September 2005, 11:17 PM
I bet it more has to do with the international link

adamjc
22nd September 2005, 11:49 PM
Can someone checkout www.cnn.com/video and tell me what the video is like on your end.

I think it may actually be a Mac problem, as to why it is choppy. It uses Windows Media Player, and loads within Safari Window.

Thanks

marc
23rd September 2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by adamjc@Sep 22 2005, 11:49 PM
It uses Windows Media Player...
Problem found.

adamjc
23rd September 2005, 11:01 AM
Ok I think I might hold off on any changes right now.

Thanks for the advice.

Also and ideas on the cnn issue?

gmask1
23rd September 2005, 11:10 AM
My only comment about Bigpond Cable - as a user that is well off contract - is that uploads are counted toward the cap, making it a much lower download allowance than what you might expect.