PDA

View Full Version : Finder Improvements

ford.boy
22nd September 2005, 05:37 PM
Ok, I've read a lot about how people find finder a little undercooked; and I agree with a few points.
So I would like to start a list of improvements that would be beneficial to the heart of Mac OS.
Unfied look - I would like the slimline aqua look, as an option instead of that crippled aqua interface.
An XPesque preview - Yes, big icons are nice, butnothing like having a full sized picture in the finder to see detail without having to open preview. This could also beapplied to PDF, Docs and any number of other file formats. The technology is already there, look at the column view.
Batch rename facilities - Enough said. This would truely set finder apart from explorer.
Optional address bar - Sometimes its nice to know where you are in your HDD at a glance.

What are your thoughts? :ph34r:

yitzyf
22nd September 2005, 07:10 PM
There are a few OS9 features that they did away with in OSX, and were really useful. Namely:
Pop up windows - remember those along the bottom of the screen, pop up with a clack, and pop down when you open something else. However, the dock is a little in the way now...But still, something similar.
I don't know if it was called anything, but when you opened a folder in OS9 and held the second click it came up with a magnifying glass type thing, which allowed you to open folders within that without having to double click each one.
Similar to what ford.boy said, like XP has the Filmstrip view, which has thumbnails on the bottom, then shows th pic in the window above.
Apple Menu Items. I know you can do the same in the Dock, but I still like the Apple Menu Items alot.

Well that's a start anyway.

ford.boy
22nd September 2005, 07:13 PM
See, regretfully I'm an X and have no idea what half those OS9 things are :(

Squozen
22nd September 2005, 07:22 PM
Sod the gloss, I just want the Finder to be consistant and fast! It's getting better every year, but... come on. Really.

marc
22nd September 2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by ford.boy@Sep 22 2005, 05:37 PM
Unfied look - I would like the slimline aqua look, as an option instead of that crippled aqua interface.
That and speed are the two I'm after.

Check Automator for batch file renaming :)

ford.boy
22nd September 2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by marc@Sep 22 2005, 07:41 PM
Check Automator for batch file renaming :)
Well duh :huh:

I'm a little slow :P

Johnny Appleseed
23rd September 2005, 01:21 AM
An XPesque preview - Yes, big icons are nice, butnothing like having a full sized picture in the finder to see detail without having to open preview.

I recently discovered a "hidden" feature of OS X: you can get thumbnail icons of pictures by selecting "Show icon preview" under "View options" in the Finder. Of course the folder has to be in icon view mode, and it doesn't seem to work for PDFs and other documents.

Optional address bar - Sometimes its nice to know where you are in your HDD at a glance.

Try command-clicking on the titlebar.

iMamacman
5th October 2005, 02:29 PM
Excellent,,, now i can see my pics in icon view,,, thanks for the tip Johnny Appleseed ,,

yes an address bar showing the Full Path would be good too.

Another thing i'm having trouble with is the DragnDrop in finder,,,
I'm kinda edgie when i use it because sometimes DragnDrop MOVES the file . and other times it COPIES the file to the new location.
I.m sure there is some logic to this but i havnt twigged to it yet.

Same with using the Delete key to trash files ,,, some areas just the Delete key works and others i have to use the apple/delete ?

notb4dinner
5th October 2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by iMamacman@Oct 5 2005, 02:29 PM
I'm kinda edgie when i use it because sometimes DragnDrop MOVES the file . and other times it COPIES the file to the new location.
I.m sure there is some logic to this but i havnt twigged to it yet.
Files get moved if you drag and drop within a volume. Drag and drop to a different volume and files are copied.

W2ttsy
5th October 2005, 02:47 PM
a freaking run prompt would be great. sometimes typing in path names is faster than doubleclicking (especially if it could remember the last 20 places you went). i know it is when i have to jump to a folder which is in a folder, which is in a folder, which is in a folder....

i would also like to see the finder not completely stall and almost die when a mounted share inexplicably disappears. sometimes this happens with my laptop when i shut the lid and lose network services.

W2ttsy

zeddie2001
5th October 2005, 02:51 PM
a freaking run prompt would be great

cmd-shift-g

scritch
5th October 2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by W2ttsy@Oct 5 2005, 02:47 PM
a freaking run prompt would be great. sometimes typing in path names is faster than doubleclicking
Have you tried shift-command-G from within the finder?

Doesn't do everything you want (ie history) but it's not bad and I use it often.

Regards,
Shane.

gaehl
5th October 2005, 03:07 PM
I see your shift + :cmd: + g and raise you a Quicksilver (http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/)

symean
5th October 2005, 03:32 PM
- A 3D zooming effect within the body of a Finder Window. Double-click on a folder, and although the toolbar, border and everything else stays as you left it, the body zooms in to the folder you clicked on, revealing the contents within. Again, the technology is already there. This is purely a visual thing, but then...that's what makes OS X great.

dangelovich
5th October 2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by notb4dinner@Oct 5 2005, 02:44 PM
Files get moved if you drag and drop within a volume. Drag and drop to a different volume and files are copied.
Holding down the Command ( :cmd: ) key while dragging always moves.
Holding down the Option key while dragging always copies.

Personally, I love the Finder. I love being able to drag and drop anything and everything.

Quamen
5th October 2005, 04:45 PM
A full implementation of ftp and sftp so that I can upload and download from servers using the finder.

The tools are already built into OS X. They just need to be implemented into finder.

zeddie2001
5th October 2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by gaehl@Oct 5 2005, 03:07 PM
I see your shift + :cmd: + g and raise you a Quicksilver (http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/)
I fold!

ford.boy
5th October 2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by symean@Oct 5 2005, 03:32 PM
- A 3D zooming effect within the body of a Finder Window. Double-click on a folder, and although the toolbar, border and everything else stays as you left it, the body zooms in to the folder you clicked on, revealing the contents within. Again, the technology is already there. This is purely a visual thing, but then...that's what makes OS X great.
That, my dear Watson, is BRILLIANT!

tempestas
5th October 2005, 06:10 PM

If you click the file name in a Finder title bar (top of window) whilst holding the command key you get a pathway back to the machine you are on.

you can also use it to move between folder levels

Not perhaps as in your face as an address bar but functional. I use it often.

I just noted it also works in Safari

W2ttsy
5th October 2005, 06:34 PM
thanks for the replies. i know about Apple Shift G, and unless its been improved in tiger, it still doesnt do what i want.

ie: type in safari.app and it opens....

its not so much an issue anymore, as my new keyboard has hotkeys, but it would still be handy to have...

W2ttsy

Johnny Appleseed
8th October 2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Appleseed@Sep 23 2005, 01:21 AM
I recently discovered a "hidden" feature of OS X: you can get thumbnail icons of pictures by selecting "Show icon preview" under "View options" in the Finder. Of course the folder has to be in icon view mode, and it doesn't seem to work for PDFs and other documents.
I should add that for maximum effect, you should also scale the icons to 128x128 in any folders where you want such previews.