PDA

View Full Version : Elgato eyeTV 3.4 on i5 iMac - is turbo.264 useful?

Jaste
17th July 2010, 11:11 AM
Hi Guys,

I have Elgato eyeTV 3.4 running on an i5 iMac and have an old Turbo.264 (not the new HD one) stick. Is it worth plugging the Turbo.264 into the iMac? I know the eyeTV software will use it but watching the CPU load, there doesn't seem to be much happening (because it is using the Turbo.264). That got me wondering. Is the eyeTV software multi-threaded? Would it be faster removing the Turbo.264 and letting the CPUs encode recorded TV for my AppleTV?

I will probably run some benchmarks myself but I thought I'd ask first in case someone already knows. I haven't been able to find an answer elsewhere.

Thanks,

Mutters
17th July 2010, 01:32 PM
The Turbo.264 is a bit of a mixed bag really.
I remember discussing this a while back ( mid C2D era ) where I said that it was faster for encoding video than the cpu, and someone else disagreed.
It turned out we were both right!
If you're encoding for the iPod etc. it is faster than a C2D cpu, but if your encodes are for AppleTV the cpu will usually win.
So for an i5 I imagine the 264 would probably be slower overall, just as you suspected.
I've heard the HD version is much faster.

decryption
17th July 2010, 01:37 PM
I've got the HD version and when exporting media, its' a little bit faster, but not significantly faster (on a 21.5" C2D 3.06GHz iMac). Dunno if it's fully worth the $240-odd I paid for it. It could be a placebo that I interpret the encoding to be faster, hah

mac_man_luke
17th July 2010, 01:39 PM
hardware encoding is really on necessary when your CPU cant do it eg low power netbooks etc

i5 will be able to encode fast while the rest of the machine will still run smoothly

a bigger speed boost would probhably be making sure your not reading and writing to the same hdd during encoding

Jaste
17th July 2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks guys.

On another note; How do you guys deal with larger tv recordings you want to edit? I have five hours of Rage and I want to trim some bits. At 13 GB I am guessing it will be a pain putting it into iMovie just for some basic cuts.

decryption
17th July 2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys.

On another note; How do you guys deal with larger tv recordings you want to edit? I have five hours of Rage and I want to trim some bits. At 13 GB I am guessing it will be a pain putting it into iMovie just for some basic cuts.

If what you want to trim is the top and tail, look at MPEG Streamclip. If it's bits inbetween, iMovie is actually your best bet. 13GB of 1080i isn't that bad, I've imported 20GB of 1080p and iMovie handled it fine - just it took a while to import.

MrJesseRoss
17th July 2010, 06:03 PM
I just use the inbuilt editor in EyeTV. For basic edits, especially cutting videos out of Rage (I've much experience in that!), it's pretty good.

Jaste
17th July 2010, 06:46 PM
OK thanks guys. I'll get to it.