PDA

View Full Version : A Snow Leopard networking issue that is driving me nuts....

milliedog
16th July 2010, 11:55 AM
At the start of the year I moved to a new workplace and found that after working for a few weeks, Snow Leopard on my MacBook would no longer connect to the main network server through the connect to server menu or previous aliases.

There was an error connecting to the server “Server Name”. Check the server name or IP address, and then try again.

If you are unable to resolve the problem contact your system administrator.

The technicians blamed Snow Leopard ("We don't support it") so I thought that's fine (actually it's not but I don't really care) and went back to Leopard for a few months, with no problems.

Well a few weeks ago I bit the bullet & upgraded to SL again... sure enough again after a week I can't get onto that server anymore in Snow Leopard. I have Parallels running & can access it fine through Windows while at the same time Mac OS won't connect.

I can ping it through the terminal, it asks for my password when I try to connect, but then won't let me connect. (And yes, the password is correct).

Any thoughts?

SoVeReIgN
16th July 2010, 01:47 PM
What version of 10.6?

milliedog
16th July 2010, 03:36 PM

titan44
16th July 2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah, there seems to be a bit of a glitch, I've had it to.

Take a look at the connection order of your network, push Ethernet to the top.

Preferences -> Network -> click on the cog on top of the lock (down the bottom), select set service order. Make sure Ethernet is at the top.

milliedog
16th July 2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks but we only use wireless to my desk. I can ping it, see it... just can't mount it anymore.

stenorman2001
19th July 2010, 06:17 AM
This seems to be a known issue if you have more than one DNS server in the DNS Servers list under Airport -> Advanced -> DNS.

Try removing all but the one your company uses and see if that corrects the problem. If your company provides DNS using DHCP (automatic addressing), use the Add (+) button to add the top grey-coloured DNS server to the list.

milliedog
19th July 2010, 07:20 PM
DNS is automatically assigned by DHCP, but will investigate tomorrow.

Thanks

milliedog
24th July 2010, 01:30 PM
Still no luck - there is only one DNS server. I checked again - works with Leopard, didn't work with Snow Leopard, which was updated from that Leopard installation.

rmac
24th July 2010, 02:16 PM
upgrade to 10.6.4 there were some smb fixes. also try enabling SMB in File Sharing preferences if it isnt already.

milliedog
30th July 2010, 08:03 PM
No luck with 10.6.4 - same problem still. But I tried creating a new user account & that worked.. needs a few days of testing to see if it keeps working.