PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbooks 'getting hot in summer'

notb4dinner
26th July 2004, 10:13 PM
I've been planning to buy a 1.33ghz 12" Powerbook (my first mac) through my employer for some time. Today I finally got them to put the order in, but when they spoke to Apple apparently they were warned that some people have had issues with the 12" models 'getting hot in summer' under the handrest/trackpad and that some users have returned their 'books as a result. Because of this they decided to put off ordering the 'book until they had checked with me.

Now I'm aware that there were some issues with older revisions that had been resolved in the Rev C. models. Can anyone offer some insight into why this warning might have been given?

To be honest I'm not too concerned but I thought it was worth checking if anyone had problems...

OziMac
26th July 2004, 10:19 PM
Hmm. All laptops get hot. Powerbooks more so because the fan doesn't run until absolutely necessary to keep the noise down (or so they say).

The original 867MHz 12" Powerbooks were pretty darn hot on one's lap. I found that the this was substantially reduced though with the 1GHz 12" Powerbook, and from what I've heard the 1.33GHz 12" Powerbook does not get anywhere near as warm as the previous models. It will warm up your lap but will not be too hot to be uncomfortable or anything.

I have found that the 1.5GHz 15" Powerbook gets warm but not as warm as the old 12" and not nearly 'toasty'.

I think you'll be fine getting a Rev C 12" Powerbook. I have no idea why Apple of all people would be discouraging people from getting the 12" for this reason.

Febs
26th July 2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by notb4dinner@Jul 26 2004, 10:13 PM
but when they spoke to Apple apparently they were warned that some people have had issues with the 12" models 'getting hot in summer' under the handrest/trackpad and that some users have returned their 'books as a result.
<snip>
Can anyone offer some insight into why this warning might have been given?
Seems strange to me. It&#39;s common knowledge that Powerbooks get a bit toasty underneath (and also on top, to a lesser degree). There&#39;s jokes going around about burnt legs and whatnot...but they&#39;re just jokes.

My mate had a 12" for 2 years and it never gave him any trouble like that. The fan hardly ever came on either.

I&#39;m picking up a 12" 1.33GHz model on Friday...I&#39;ve used plenty of them before and the heat&#39;s never been an issue.

Cheers,
- Febs.

Ozi
26th July 2004, 10:22 PM
No problems with my 15"... the CPU gets to just above 60 and then the fan comes on and wont let it get any hotter. Also, this is only when it is being HEAVILY stressed: ie Folding proteins or intense, long gaming sessions. It has never become too hot to have sit on my lap, or touch. The hottest part is at the base of the hinge, where it meets the main body of the pBook. Even that has never been too hot to touch.

But I have no experience with the 12". I wouldnt think it would get too hot to touch, and seeing how much better my 15" pBook is than my dads 15" Titanium pBook, i would assume that 12" had been similarly improved. :)

~ozi

Ozi
26th July 2004, 10:23 PM
:lol: sorry but I just saw that all 3 of us had replied in the 3 minutes it took me to write my original message: a show of how eager to help Appletalk members are, and how active we are&#33; :D

OziMac
26th July 2004, 10:36 PM
LOL True Ozi... double edged sword though, both very nice and very sad ;)

notb4dinner
26th July 2004, 10:53 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick response guys (although I do think OziMac has a point :P). I wasn&#39;t really worried about it as I&#39;ve never seen it mentioned as a big problem but it is nice have some reassurance.

Cheers.

tRiKsTa
26th July 2004, 11:28 PM
I have a 12" 1.33Ghz model and it&#39;s fine. sure, ive only had it a few days, but ive used it extensively, using photoshop and other intensive apps and it does get warm, but i wouldnt say hot. it gets about the same temperature as my old compaq centrino machine.

dont stress

just buy it&#33;

awesome machine&#33;

im typing this post on it... and its been on all day... its fine

TK

pipsqeek
28th July 2004, 11:00 AM
There is another fact that the PB&#39;s use metal as the case material. Which tends to act as a heatsink and thus making you think that the machine is running hot.

As we all (should) know, a heatsinks job is to remove heat from the component causing it, and taking it as far away from the component as possible.

This is why the PB&#39;s seem to "feel" hotter then iBook&#39;s and older PB&#39;s. because the plastic pretty much absorbs the heat rather then help dissapate it and spread it.

The PB will feel hotter because the case is acting as a heatsink. More then anything, this is a selling point for me.

Imaging how much nicer, cooler and quieter a tower case computer would be if the case was used as a heatsink.

Steve