PDA

View Full Version : Ibook Closed Lid Mode?

limpboy
21st September 2005, 10:07 PM
There seems to be some confusion around about whether the iBooks can work in closed lid mode. And also whether it is a good idea to, even if were possible.

There is also talk of the iBook using the keyboard as an exhaust for heat but don't the current iBooks have fans?

I'm looking to hook up the iBook to external display and keyboard/mouse and keep it on overnight downloading during off-peak. Is this possible?

I've found this

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

Will it void my warranty? Or can I reverse the mod?

mac_man_luke
21st September 2005, 10:11 PM
You can easily reverse it, but even if you run it closed lid mode i would leave the lid open if you know what i mean

cmetom
21st September 2005, 10:15 PM
my ibook has been on for the last week or two, sitting on my desk with the lid open and the screen brightness down to zero. no heat issues at all.

with the lid closed, i WOULD be concerned about it overheating - especially if you've got it doing something, like downloading etc.

but who knows! it might be alright, esp. with the display not on.

mac_man_luke
21st September 2005, 10:27 PM
I think you might find the display will warp and melt

limpboy
21st September 2005, 10:28 PM
I've noticed with my dad's PowerBook that it goes to sleep after some inactivity usually 10-20 mins. Is there a setting in Tiger to turn off idle sleep timer?

Or if I've got programs running using cpu then it won't go to sleep?

How do you reverse the spanning hack? just uninstall (drag out of apps folder?)

feeze
21st September 2005, 10:34 PM
Usually if the computer is active, i.e. running a program it will not sleep.

To change the sleep settings goto the 'energy saving' on your System Preferences. There are 3 presets you can use or you can use your own custom setting. Also on portables you can set different power settings for when the computer is plugged in or when it is running on battery.

edit: RE: spanning hack. If I remember correctly the display will revert back to normal after a restart. If not just reset the PRAM (press and hold 'command' (apple) - 'option' - 'P' and 'R' on setup)

Rayd
21st September 2005, 11:17 PM
i guess you could put it in a fridge, then close it to make sure it stays nice and cool :D

gelfie
21st September 2005, 11:38 PM
Yes, the spanning hack would void your warranty. If anyone even knew about it in the first place.

No you can't use an iBook with the lid closed. It just won't happen. When you close the lid it is going to go to sleep.

Disko
22nd September 2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by limpboy@Sep 21 2005, 09:58 PM
Is there a setting in Tiger to turn off idle sleep timer?
System Prefs > Energy Saver > "Put the computer to sleep..." set it to "never"

Danamania
22nd September 2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by limpboy@Sep 21 2005, 10:07 PM
There seems to be some confusion around about whether the iBooks can work in closed lid mode. And also whether it is a good idea to, even if were possible.

There is also talk of the iBook using the keyboard as an exhaust for heat but don't the current iBooks have fans?

I'm looking to hook up the iBook to external display and keyboard/mouse and keep it on overnight downloading during off-peak. Is this possible?

I've found this

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

Will it void my warranty? Or can I reverse the mod?
iBooks can work with the lid closed if you install one of the utils that turns off auto-sleep on lid close. Whether or not it's a good idea is something else entirely :). Some people report their iBooks power down after a while as the hardware turns off before getting too hot, others run them fine. Pick your own level of paranoia :D.

Take a look around macupdate.com for nosleep or sleepless - they're two extensions that turn off auto-sleep, but they look out of date. There may be others by now.

dana

forgie
22nd September 2005, 01:54 AM
I assume its the hard disk that causes all the heat on the left side palm rest.... It gets warm with the lid open, with the lid closed you'd be cooking your hard drive, as well as the screen. Not my idea of a good time..... YMMV though.

limpboy
22nd September 2005, 03:38 PM
Ok. It looks like the consensus is that it is possible but not recommended to run iBooks in closed lid mode.

Just question then about running external screen. Is there a way to turn off the laptop screen so can free up VRAM for external screen or will I be forced to keep 16MB for laptop screen?

Also is 16MB for external screen enough for all the eye-candy and graphics work? Core-image and Core-video?

mac_man_luke
22nd September 2005, 04:54 PM
You can turn the ibook screen off with the spanning hack - read their forums

In reply to about the left hand side getting hot that is because on the G4 ibooks the processor is under the left hand side of the keyboard area, the hard drive it right up the front left

limpboy
22nd September 2005, 05:38 PM
Hmm. From reading their forums. There seems to be alot of people saying it works great and then others who say it doesn't work on their iBook. Though we can't be sure which revision of the iBooks they are using and if it has a supported graphics card.

Still makes me jittery. Maybe I'll wait untill I have no more warranty left.
I can live with just mirroring.

Does turning brightness all the way down actually black the screen? e.g. won't keep me awake at night?

forgie
22nd September 2005, 06:16 PM
Turning the brightness all the way down turns my monitor off completely....

xsive
23rd September 2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by forgie@Sep 22 2005, 06:16 PM
Turning the brightness all the way down turns my monitor off completely....
Check carefully. You'll find it doesn't. I can still just make out some details when I turn the brightness all the way down.