PDA

View Full Version : Apple press conference

Anthonyw
15th July 2010, 10:22 AM
Apple is holding a press conference Friday us time in relation to iPhone 4. Should be interesting....

Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference this Friday -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/apple-to-hold-press-conference-on-iphone-4-this-friday/)

nando
15th July 2010, 10:24 AM
wondering if they will give aways free bumpers or put something to cover that part of the death grip

Anthonyw
15th July 2010, 10:25 AM
Announcement of preorders for us too?

Vzzzbx
15th July 2010, 10:29 AM
Friday? Trying to miss the weekly press cycle? That's what Conroy does every time he announces a progression of filter policy.

nando
15th July 2010, 10:30 AM
wondering if any remedy may mean...a delay to Aus :(

SilverJ
15th July 2010, 10:47 AM
Wishes: Give us free bumpers and don't delay the July Australia release.
That is all.

Keving
15th July 2010, 10:55 AM
Is this the first time Apple has made a press event to talk about a problem a device of theirs has?

Devil rolla
15th July 2010, 11:06 AM
delay to australia due to high sales/antenna issue. Probably coat the antenna from now on ?
it will be interesting to see apple on the back foot, even though they will BS their way through it, to keep sales going.

mmulhern
15th July 2010, 11:19 AM
All things considered, I'm just happy that they are ironing out all the bugs in the pre-release test market, before the official Australian release.

Lutze
15th July 2010, 11:21 AM
delay to australia due to high sales/antenna issue. Probably coat the antenna from now on ?
it will be interesting to see apple on the back foot, even though they will BS their way through it, to keep sales going.

FFS do you even read the posts that people who own the iphone4 make?

If the thing was fucked like everyone is saying then they would be returning them in droves.... Guess what? They are not.

Real world use is showing it is the best iPhone as a phone ever. Why would Apple have to BS their way through it?

Phunky
15th July 2010, 11:25 AM
It's "iphone4gate"
Would be funny if SJ ended up resigning as a result of it lol

Japester
15th July 2010, 11:26 AM
This thread has barely started and it's already off the rails. Stop the conjecture!

SilverJ
15th July 2010, 11:26 AM
Can't help but laugh when I see stuff like this. Apple iTape. iTape - The iPhone 4 Antenna Signal Booster [Charity] - eBay (item 180530172902 end time Jul-14-10 07:25:51 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180530172902)
Hopefully after Friday, it will end the embarrassment.

drewbles
15th July 2010, 11:27 AM

If the thing was fucked like everyone is saying then they would be returning them in droves.... Guess what? They are not.

Real world use is showing it is the best iPhone as a phone ever. Why would Apple have to BS their way through it?

To 'save face'. The media have blown this out of proportion badly.

Design flaw? sure. Phone killer? no way.

They'll say there's a problem, hand out free bumpers to people who want them (or swap them out if they change their manufacturing process) and the world will be as one again.

It's not about the reality of the problem, it's about the media beat up and public perception. This is Apple's PR working on this, not their engineers.

Spin Doctors to placate those who are stupid enough to believe everything (blindly) that they read in places like nonews.com.au :)

drewbles
15th July 2010, 11:28 AM
This thread has barely started and it's already off the rails. Stop the conjecture!

< off topic >

It's the internet. It's a train wreck at the best of times ;)

< /off topic >

Vzzzbx
15th July 2010, 11:30 AM
If Jobs fails to announce an acceptable solution, we can tell him he's holding the press conference the wrong way.

I'll get my coat.

forno
15th July 2010, 11:31 AM

I dont believe it some logoic in the swamp that is the internet !

I am suprised it took this long to work out there is an issue with how the signal is displayed, but to think of all the testing in the filed that would have been done with the iPhone4 and apple not find out the thing has a major design flaw is beyond belief.

I think the that that lutze states about the lack of hundreds of thousand or millions of people returning their fataly flawed iPhone4 says it all, real worl its a better phone.

Devil rolla
15th July 2010, 11:33 AM

My initial thought would be delayed from high sales, my second was a question that maybe they could coat the antenna. They will be holding a press event, and will be on the back foot cause usually they are laying down the law with new products, not holding press meetings to address issues with their products. Thats not usual for Apple, is it Lutze ?

The signal bar issue is isolated mostly/in part to the US, aka AT&T, but they can't say, look, everywhere else in the world it will work fine, just not in the US where AT&T have a titans grip.

FFS back at you Lutze. Maybe think before you type.

tintinaujapon
15th July 2010, 11:34 AM
I don't want a stupid 'bumper' - ie. cheap piece of plastic covering what was meant to be a cool aesthetic and yet functional design feature.

bacco007
15th July 2010, 11:36 AM
Why would Apple have to BS their way through it?

To arrest the slide in their share price no doubt - having a peak consumer body (Consumer Reports) not recommend it is going to have serious implications on sales.

Vzzzbx
15th July 2010, 11:38 AM

Seaborne asylum seekers are negligible by any measurement, yet that issue will probably decide the outcome of the election. Don't ever underestimate hysterical hype.

chopper389
15th July 2010, 11:47 AM

Haven't Apple already BS-ed by claiming that it was a software problem? Do you swallow that?

The posts of Apple devotees/fanboys who haven't returned or - so far- refuse to believe that Apple could get it so wrong, wouldn't convince me....and nor would the general media, for that matter .... but when leading respected consumer watchdogs start asking questions and give less than glowing reports, I reckon it's time to take notice and stop the blind faith ...

Wally
15th July 2010, 11:48 AM
I think a recall is in order.

forno
15th July 2010, 11:52 AM
To arrest the slide in their share price no doubt - having a peak consumer body (Consumer Reports) not recommend it is going to have serious implications on sales.

AFAIK they have done further test om other makers handsets and found similar issues.

I predict that AT&T will be present at the conference and will cop their due!

iMac
15th July 2010, 11:55 AM
The thing is though, even with the antenna issue Consumer Reports rated it as the best Smartphone currently available.

decryption
15th July 2010, 12:02 PM
3AM Saturday morning Melbourne time for those that care :)

supafly
15th July 2010, 12:04 PM
People do realise that we are no longer using analogue signals? The bars mean sweet fuck all. You either have reception or not, we could have a red and green light for reception and it would be the same outcome. It is a recognised problem but considering how many million iPhone 4's have already been sold you would think there would be mass outrage if it affected all users. It it is an easy fix by just putting a bumper on it, Apple should simply offer anyone with issues the option to walk into an Apple store and get a free bumper. Sure it might cost them $10 Million but thats peanuts for someone like them to fix this massive PR issue.

mitty
15th July 2010, 12:05 PM
I still doubt it will effect us in Oz, particularly those on Telstra. But I'd imagine it'll almost certainly mean a delay in launch here, which is why we've still got no date.

redtapemedia
15th July 2010, 12:12 PM
People do realise that we are no longer using analogue signals? The bars mean sweet fuck all. You either have reception or not, we could have a red and green light for reception and it would be the same outcome. It is a recognised problem but considering how many million iPhone 4's have already been sold you would think there would be mass outrage if it affected all users. It it is an easy fix by just putting a bumper on it, Apple should simply offer anyone with issues the option to walk into an Apple store and get a free bumper. Sure it might cost them $10 Million but thats peanuts for someone like them to fix this massive PR issue.

The bars do not mean SFA. People are reporting dropped calls and slower download speeds.

drewbles
15th July 2010, 12:16 PM
People do realise that we are no longer using analogue signals? The bars mean sweet fuck all. You either have reception or not, we could have a red and green light for reception and it would be the same outcome.

It's still reporting the strength of the signal.

Yes, you could have a green light. Yes, the bars are not indicative of call quality. As you say, signal = ability to work.

The bars do just indicate the dB you have to the Base Station, from -51 to around -150 or so. All the bar display is show you what 'range' you're in, so full bars may be -51 to say -70 (as an idea).

The worse your signal, the more power you have to pump out to stay connected to the base station. If you're borderline on the low end, you'll drop out if you lose that signal.

Take something pretty technical (RF planning and guidelines) and try and make it mainstream understandable ("bars" on a mobile to indicate signal strength) and a lot gets lost in between.

ruegen
15th July 2010, 12:18 PM
Maybe it has nothing to do with the antenna *hint*

(although I’ll guess they will say something about the antenna too)

supafly
15th July 2010, 12:20 PM
It's still reporting the strength of the signal.

Yes, you could have a green light. Yes, the bars are not indicative of call quality. As you say, signal = ability to work.

The bars do just indicate the dB you have to the Base Station, from -51 to around -150 or so. All the bar display is show you what 'range' you're in, so full bars may be -51 to say -70 (as an idea).

The worse your signal, the more power you have to pump out to stay connected to the base station. If you're borderline on the low end, you'll drop out if you lose that signal.

Take something pretty technical (RF planning and guidelines) and try and make it mainstream understandable ("bars" on a mobile to indicate signal strength) and a lot gets lost in between.

Oh I completely agree with what your saying, I was just commenting that the media are really using this 'bar' thing as their argument. Of course your going to lose calls in a poor signal area. I was just stating that the argument the media is using is ridiculous and full of crap. :)

Comet
15th July 2010, 12:24 PM
I still doubt it will effect us in Oz, particularly those on Telstra. But I'd imagine it'll almost certainly mean a delay in launch here, which is why we've still got no date.

I used to get full 5 bars where I sit in the office with Telstra, but after upgrading to 4.1 beta I can only reach 3 bars, and at times it's down to the last 1 bar. Whatever they may be doing to please the US customers might have a side effect to us where they might simply decide that marginal signals will result in "Searching..." to appear instead of 1 bar.

bacco007
15th July 2010, 12:26 PM
AFAIK they have done further test om other makers handsets and found similar issues.

Granted, but there are a large portion of the wider community who use these 'consumer organisation' recommendations as key pieces of information in their purchasing decisions.

Vzzzbx
Perhaps it'll be a PW Botha-like Rubicon speech where Jobs gathers all the press in one room and says 'WE ARE DOING NOTHING!! GO AWAY!!' That would be tragilarious.

titan44
Link from the illustrious Gruber, all should read.

On Reception – The iPhone 4 hysteria – The Real Life/Lab Test Conundrum | Ed Dale&#039;s Blog (http://www.eddale.co/general/on-reception-the-iphone-4-hysteria-the-real-lifelab-test-conundrum)

Brentnal
15th July 2010, 12:47 PM
If Apple are going to "hold" a press conference, lets hope they "hold" it correctly.

ruegen
15th July 2010, 12:58 PM
If Apple are going to "hold" a press conference, lets hope they "hold" it correctly.

yup… clap.. clap… *crickets* :p

Bradster
15th July 2010, 01:00 PM
#+=

mitty
15th July 2010, 01:04 PM
I can't see a recall in order. They'll offer free bumpers, and will replace any that can be proven to have faults. I doubt all of them are having the problem. Meanwhile they'll need to redesign it to rectify the fault, which may mean a delay for us and others who don't have it yet.

drewbles
15th July 2010, 01:11 PM
Oh I completely agree with what your saying, I was just commenting that the media are really using this 'bar' thing as their argument. Of course your going to lose calls in a poor signal area. I was just stating that the argument the media is using is ridiculous and full of crap. :)

now that I couldn't agree more with. +1 berzillion on that :)

BowieNIN
15th July 2010, 01:13 PM
iphone 4 has a slight redesign,coating applied to prevent issue, australia delayed until August (prob last week).

Devil rolla
15th July 2010, 01:17 PM
what about current owners ?

grfxninja
15th July 2010, 01:19 PM
australia delayed until August (prob last week).

I hope not, but in a way it will be good - it'll give me more time to sell my other stuff that I am flogging off to fund the outright purchase of the iPhone 4 :)

ruegen
15th July 2010, 01:19 PM
So no ones going to try and guess that something else might be announced? *hint*

auspad
15th July 2010, 01:22 PM
i hope so. just about everything in the apple line is out of its refresh time

Keving
15th July 2010, 01:32 PM
Maybe iPad ios4 update...?

Ecto1
15th July 2010, 01:38 PM
Maybe iPad ios4 update...?

It's a press conference about the iPhone not the iPad. I highly doubt it will include any other products.

iZuloo
15th July 2010, 01:39 PM
i'll be switching to something else if iphone 4 is pushed back, cant afford to buy a cheapy in the mean time until apple get their act together, so will probably end up on a plan with an android device. apple need to sort themselves out.

chaosboi
15th July 2010, 01:39 PM
So no ones going to try and guess that something else might be announced? *hint*

Doubt it will be anything else as Apple said it's a press conference about the iPhone 4.

Steve_D
15th July 2010, 01:40 PM
To 'save face'. The media have blown this out of proportion badly.

Design flaw? sure. Phone killer? no way.

They'll say there's a problem, hand out free bumpers to people who want them (or swap them out if they change their manufacturing process) and the world will be as one again.

It's not about the reality of the problem, it's about the media beat up and public perception. This is Apple's PR working on this, not their engineers.

Spin Doctors to placate those who are stupid enough to believe everything (blindly) that they read in places like nonews.com.au :)

Its basically the blogosphere all clambering for hits and knowing that if they can harp on about something that may or may not be true about apple they get hits from the fanboys that want to defend apple and the haters that want to bag them. either way its a win win for ad revenue and page hits.

Haven't Apple already BS-ed by claiming that it was a software problem? Do you swallow that?

The posts of Apple devotees/fanboys who haven't returned or - so far- refuse to believe that Apple could get it so wrong, wouldn't convince me....and nor would the general media, for that matter .... but when leading respected consumer watchdogs start asking questions and give less than glowing reports, I reckon it's time to take notice and stop the blind faith ...

Did you actually read the articles on these so called issues or just look at the pretty pictures?

The ONLY thing that they claimed was a software problem was the fact that the bars were showing incorrectly. It was the blogosphere and media that said it was going to be a software fix. Just like how people are now claiming that the 4.1 beta is not fixing the sensor issues or the antenna issues. even though anyone that actually reads and understands how apple product updates work would know that the actual update will come out with 4.0.1.
The 4.1 beta is to allow devs to test the new designed game centre with their apps.

The bars do not mean SFA. People are reporting dropped calls and slower download speeds.

Is it just me or does it seem strange that ATT are keeping really quiet over the whole dropped calls/bars issue?
They put out a press statement about data speeds (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/07/atts_slow_iphone_4_upload_speeds_due_to_software_d efect.html) and then quietly backed off into the shadows again.

Just seems a little suspicious to me. Maybe once the iPhone4 is on more networks and not ones that are already at breaking point we may see different results.

Personally i think that the conference will be them stating that they have found that there was a "production fault" and a batch of phones were released with issues, but the ones that are now being shipped into the stores are fixed (re: this rumour (http://gizmodo.com/5587029/iphone-4-silent-recall-some-readers-confirm?skyline=true&s=i)).
They will probably offer a free replacement phone for those people that have already received the iPhone4 (mainly USA and UK) or at least a free bumper to those that do not want to replace or feel their current phone is fine but will help prevent any issues in the future.

These old phones will then be refurbished and resold.

Its an easy fix and one that will keep a majority of people happy (basically everyone other than Google,HTC,Nokia,Microsoft,Hit and Run Bloggers or anyone else that profits from Apples demise).

ruegen
15th July 2010, 01:40 PM
It could be very interesting for a lot of US customers… it’s a wild guess

Japester
15th July 2010, 01:43 PM

Verizon? You're kidding?

MissionMan
15th July 2010, 01:45 PM
My guess is one of two options:

1. They offer free bands to anyone who wants one
2. They offer people the option to swap the phone for a newer model with a polymer coated band which gives the same antenna reception without the contact issues. This would be different to a complete recall as recalls are normally reserved for items which have safety issues.

The modification of the band could probably be done quite easily onsite by people so it may even be a case of leaving your phone with them for an hour while the tech replaces it quickly.

dotnet
15th July 2010, 01:58 PM
i'll be switching to something else if iphone 4 is pushed back, cant afford to buy a cheapy in the mean time until apple get their act together, so will probably end up on a plan with an android device.

Hear, hear! All of you guys should do the same.

(I hate queues)

Cheers
Steffen.

malim
15th July 2010, 02:03 PM
My thought saying that the press conference is abour.

1. A temporary suspension for iPhone 4 until they fix the problem.
2. Next 18 countries launch will be delayed.

Both of above reason is to contained the problem from spreading even bigger and difficult to rectify. So holding or suspend the sales temporarily would be the best thing and the next batch of iPhone that come out from the factory will have the antenna issue fixed.

3. Whoever have already purchased the iPhone will be able to return theirs and they will fix it or replace it.

Just my hunch...

chopper389
15th July 2010, 02:15 PM
Did you actually read the articles on these so called issues or just look at the pretty pictures?

Yes and what I read wasn't pretty

The ONLY thing that they claimed was a software problem was the fact that the bars were showing incorrectly.

And that doesn't smell to you like BS masking the real problem?

Is it just me or does it seem strange that ATT are keeping really quiet over the whole dropped calls/bars issue?

Yes, it's just you. Don't you know that ATT have been in bed with Apple for years?

Steve_D
15th July 2010, 02:16 PM
i cant see the suspension thing happening.

Think back to what happened when the SATA issues cropped up in the MBPs or the iMacs had issues with their 27" panels.

They were not recalled.

The customers were issued a software fix and Apple put out a statement stating that there was an issue and then gave customers a chance to return if unsatisfied.

It will be the same deal here.

Here is software fix 4.0.1 for those with only proximity sensor issues (and 3G iPhone stability too hopefully). for those with Antenna issues take your iPhone to the store and they will replace with a newer model that doesnt show these problems.

They would announce this at a press conference to basically rub it in the nose of the media that bash apple for being so secretive.

Foxxcon had a "production issue", We see that and so heres the fix, lets all hold hands and sing Coom By Yah.

jaselynch
15th July 2010, 02:17 PM

So the whole thing was contrived. Apple designed the phone to have flaws on AT&T. The iPhone will be announced to be on Verizon, and iPhone's on V are guaranteed to have no reception issue. Thus ALL AT&T users will terminate their contracts thanks to the 30 day return policy and move to Verizon.

Very silly.

Domenic
15th July 2010, 02:19 PM

Really? It's their best product launch ever and they're going to stop selling it? Hardly. This issue is massively overblown, there was probably a production fault with a very small number of iPhones, & they'll replace those iPhones for free with new iPhones with no fault and everyone's happy.

Seriously the majority of people whinging about this issue are people who don't even have an iPhone 4 and have no evidence to suggest this will be a major issue anyway here in Australia with phone networks that actually work properly. If you buy an iPhone 4 and discover that the problem still exists in day-to-day life here in Australia then your complaints are justified & and you can return it with the 30 day refund. But until then stop assuming that this is a major problem that affects everyone with an iPhone 4.

lavo
15th July 2010, 02:23 PM
The thing is though, even with the antenna issue Consumer Reports rated it as the best Smartphone currently available.

Depends which way you take that statement....glass half full, its a fantastic phone. Glass half empty, its a crap phone but the competition is even worse.....

Its like people who quote statistics in percentages. Everything can be manipulated to look better than it is ;) Like issuing a software patch to "fix" the bar problem..... :D

One thing is for sure that Apple will be spinning this with its best PR people, if it ends up the antenna issue is what the conference is all about. Then all the journalist stooges will be out in force (Mossburg, Pogue etc) drumming up the good word.

Reminds me of a story long ago in a service centre I worked at, where quite a few customers were getting "buzzed" when they plugged a power adapter into a TiBook (the case seemed to conduct through them, when resting their palms or whatever naked skin on the TiBook). Didn't happen with everyone, but there was a certain group of people that it did. Maybe this is the same issue, where some people just seem to have a different effect on electronic equipment?

Apple's fix.....don't use your laptop with the power adapter plugged in! :p

Thrymr
15th July 2010, 02:47 PM
+1. I actually HAVE an iPhone 4 here is Brisbane and even I can't believe the cr@p that the media is spewing out about these so called "problems"...!!!

These days, media almost always talks about the negatives, never the positives. It's their job to sensationalise.

I don't deny that there is a reception issue, but I really don't think it's as prevalent as the media makes it out to be. I have plenty of contacts in the US who have an iPhone 4, and almost all of them aren't experiencing any issues.

I don't think that will happen. Apple firmly believes that the iPhone 4 is their most successful product launch ever, and they're not going to let this so-called reception issue get in the way.

As per their public letter (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/07/02appleletter.html) on July 2, they'll most likely reinforce that many of their users are delighted with the iPhone 4. And then reinforce that they're working on a software update that will supposedly improve the accuracy of the reported signal strength.

2. Next 18 countries launch will be delayed.

If there is a delay, it will most likely be due to an inability to keep up with demand. I don't believe that Apple will delay shipments due to whatever issues the iPhone 4 may have.

3. Whoever have already purchased the iPhone will be able to return theirs and they will fix it or replace it.

This, I believe.

Apple knows that there are plenty of users out there who are satisfied with the iPhone 4. They also know that there are a select few who aren't. As a gesture of goodwill, what they'll most likely do is invite any current owners of the iPhone 4 to return theirs for refund or replacement should they be dissatisfied with its performance, no questions asked. Future owners will probably be given an extended grace period to do the same.

Just my hunch...

Mine, too.

ruegen
15th July 2010, 03:06 PM
So the whole thing was contrived. Apple designed the phone to have flaws on AT&T. The iPhone will be announced to be on Verizon, and iPhone's on V are guaranteed to have no reception issue. Thus ALL AT&T users will terminate their contracts thanks to the 30 day return policy and move to Verizon.

Very silly.
Forgive me but I can't tell if you're being sarcastic... *blinks

jaselynch
15th July 2010, 03:09 PM

Sorry... i'm being sarcastic, but part of me would love it if this was true :)

Ecto1
15th July 2010, 03:10 PM
I think it will be announced the end of AT&T exclusive and all iPhone's will be unlocked automatically allowing people to jump ship to Verizon.

chrish3677
15th July 2010, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a Verizon version to buy some good publicity.

It must be something significant tho, you can't imagine them calling a press conference just to say sorry and here's a free bumper.

It'll either be a major denial, with maybe some antenna experts for support; or an apology with free bumpers, plus a big (eg Verizon, or rebate) announcement to placate the hoards.

Hopefully the second one.

chrish3677
15th July 2010, 03:14 PM
I think it will be announced the end of AT&T exclusive and all iPhone's will be unlocked automatically allowing people to jump ship to Verizon.

I don't think that's possible, is it? Isn't Verizon on CDMA? So need a whole new phone.

But I like your idea.

(Off topic - why did we Aussies get told a couple of years ago that CDMA was old technology that had to go? I loved my CDMA service. Best I ever had)

ClockWork
15th July 2010, 03:16 PM

It's either sarcasm or facetiousness - possibly the latter.
People who can't gage whether a statement is cast out literally as the truth, or in jest... must smoke at least one joint.

Pass - do not collect $200. Sorry.

And every time something new comes out on whatever market, there is usually a whole circus of problems until an agreeable stabilization is met... by which time the next totally new thing is out.

This is why we need kamikaze customers.

iJohn
15th July 2010, 03:17 PM
I suspect a recall

drewbles
15th July 2010, 03:32 PM
The ONLY thing that they claimed was a software problem was the fact that the bars were showing incorrectly. It was the blogosphere and media that said it was going to be a software fix. Just like how people are now claiming that the 4.1 beta is not fixing the sensor issues or the antenna issues. even though anyone that actually reads and understands how apple product updates work would know that the actual update will come out with 4.0.1.
The 4.1 beta is to allow devs to test the new designed game centre with their apps.

Whilst Apple haven't traditionally done a full . release to fix this, it's highly likely that no 4.0.1 will eventuate, and 4.1 is this.

I'm running the beta (Have a paid Dev account) and it is reporting things differently. The bars are different (it's more a gentle slope rather than a steep hill from 0 to full bard).

Added to that they probably want Game Center out there ASAP as well.

My money is on 4.1 coming out next. There has been no 4.0.1 SDK (Apple will release the SDK in line with the iOS version, if history is to be reckoned with). 4.1 Beta SDK is the current version.

(and US spelling used on 'centre' as that's what Apple call it).

homerjay
15th July 2010, 03:36 PM
Steve jobs walks out
Says " we have sold X amount of iPhones and have had Y amount of dropped calls.
Other phones have Z amount of drop calls thats is X% of dropped calls so we are below the rate.
anybody that wants a replacement iPhone can have one".

forno
15th July 2010, 03:38 PM
Presser will open with
a. X million units sold x hundreds of units returned.
b. iOS 4.1 has been seeded to devs which will address the display of bars issue (which will be explained better than it was last time they spoke about it, mpost likely by a AT&T rep) and the proximity sensor issue.
c. Production issues will be sited and as now being resolved.
d. "Return if faulty" will be re-issued
e. Second tier countries are now live for preorder

chaosboi
15th July 2010, 03:44 PM
This now on fairfax...including MacTalk and anthony

Battered Apple stops dodging iPhone 4 issues (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/iphone/battered-apple-stops-dodging-iphone-4-issues-20100715-10c5e.html)

iryan
15th July 2010, 03:45 PM
my bet is that Apple will use a anti-bridging-attenuation coating on all newly manufactured iPhone 4's and a repair/coating service will be made freely available. Fixes the problem without a recall.

Leopard
15th July 2010, 03:47 PM
Sure as Hell,there won't be a Recall.When iMac 27 inch,at $2600 isn't Recalled why Recall $1000 Phone. My Guess changed something in Production,Hence different Serial number sequence.
Delays in Oz 95% YES.

jesse
15th July 2010, 03:47 PM
I hope steve gets up with all the major competing phones and proves on stage that the iPhone 4 kicks their ass.

He will then say that they're on sale in Australia 'NOW'.

dil_baby
15th July 2010, 03:48 PM
Anthony Agius, founder of the MacTalk website, said the move to hold a snap press conference was "something I've never seen Apple do in the decade I've been watching them".

Anthony quoted in SMH. (http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/iphone/battered-apple-stops-dodging-iphone-4-issues-20100715-10c5e.html)

Stez
15th July 2010, 03:49 PM
This will be interesting indeed. Apple have really screwed up with the iPhone 4 and the way they handled the issue has just been terrible and has tarnished my image of them as a company. They will be forced to do a recall, but how they handle this will be the best part. Apple don't admit mistakes as big as these. EVER. But it seems they have no choice now. Maybe this will be for the better and Apple won't be as big dicks as they are now, but still, Apple are Apple, amazing design and so many revolutionary products, but still, the way they do things is stupid.

Balthazar
15th July 2010, 03:54 PM
my bet is that Apple will use a anti-bridging-attenuation coating on all newly manufactured iPhone 4's and a repair/coating service will be made freely available. Fixes the problem without a recall.

I have heard (on the TWiT network) RF engineers talking about the attenuation issue and it will require more than a thin coating as it has nothing to do with "bridging" some sort of conductive band (it's not a dc current).

Instead it is about keeping the finger a physical distance away from the antenna which a thin coating or sticky tape won't help. Even the bumpers won't stop the attenuation but they are better than nothing.

The closer your meaty, liquid filled hand is to the antenna, the more rf signal will be absorbed. It happens on all phones including previous iPhones.

Steve_D
15th July 2010, 04:02 PM
I think that the biggest thing that people are forgetting is.....

ITS JUST A PHONE!!!

If Nokia or any of these other companies release a phone that has huge faults and they do all the time (*cough*N900*cough*N97*cough*)you don't hear about it on main stream media outlets...

Today Tonight dont run stories showing that the HTC phones are better than the new iPhone4 (even though they only had a 3GS to test with) Unless someone is paying them too do so.

What we will find is that there are some HUGE players out there that are scared that not only have Apple sold more phones in 30 days than some phones can sell in a year, But to rub salt into the wounds just that little bit more, they have done so in only a limited release and in the next few weeks the rest of the world will be able to purchase it as well.

The whole antenna thing was done to discredit the iPhone4 from becoming the new iPod.
Because once that mentality kicks in with the consumer driven public the battle is as good as lost.

it may be dirty politics but thats why they have lawyers to back them up.

iryan
15th July 2010, 04:05 PM
I have heard (on the TWiT network) RF engineers talking about the attenuation issue and it will require more than a thin coating as it has nothing to do with "bridging" some sort of conductive band (it's not a dc current).

Instead it is about keeping the finger a physical distance away from the antenna which a thin coating or sticky tape won't help. Even the bumpers won't stop the attenuation but they are better than nothing.

The closer your meaty, liquid filled hand is to the antenna, the more rf signal will be absorbed. It happens on all phones including previous iPhones.

Apparently the bumper "eliminates" the reception problems: Bumper solves iPhone 4 antennas woes, Consumer Reports confirms - Computerworld (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9179183/Bumper_solves_iPhone_4_antennas_woes_Consumer_Repo rts_confirms)

chopper389
15th July 2010, 04:31 PM
I think that the biggest thing that people are forgetting is.....

ITS JUST A PHONE!!!

NO IT'S NOT! It's a multi multi multi million dollar business. There's a lot on the line with the competition stepping up to try and take some market share back off Apple.

Apple have just lost 11Billion off their company value in the last week

The whole antenna thing was done to discredit the iPhone4 from becoming the new iPod.

I thinks that's a tad deluded. It's real. It hasn't been invented. The Apple share price has dropped. It's at the point where Apple have taken an unprecedented step of calling a press conference. They've stuffed up and they need to rectify it.

~Coxy
15th July 2010, 04:37 PM
Sure as Hell,there won't be a Recall.When iMac 27 inch,at $2600 isn't Recalled why Recall $1000 Phone. My Guess changed something in Production,Hence different Serial number sequence.
Delays in Oz 95% YES.

Yep, I very much agree.

eMacs, iMac G5s, iBooks, Power Mac G5s with water cooling, MacBook Pros with NV8600, iMac 27", Time Capsules, MagSafe adaptors, iPod 3G batteries.
All had huge failure rates. None were ever recalled. If you were lucky there was a warranty extension program and that's it.

Heck, the XBox 360 is a great example too. Even higher failure rates than anything Apple has ever done, AND it has the design flaw with the DVD drive scratching discs. Never recalled.

The only time a recall will happen is when there's a public safety issue, like for the lithium batteries sold with early MBPs.

iryan
15th July 2010, 04:38 PM
I did this quick mockup a few minutes ago; perhaps it might happen :D:
http://cl.ly/1fM4/content

dotnet
15th July 2010, 04:39 PM
The only time a recall will happen is when there's a public safety issue, like for the lithium batteries sold with early MBPs.

Didn't Apple just issue a recall for TimeCapsules?

Cheers
Steffen.

simonm
15th July 2010, 04:41 PM
Seriously the majority of people whinging about this issue are people who don't even have an iPhone 4 and have no evidence to suggest this will be a major issue anyway here in Australia with phone networks that actually work properly.

Not sure if Optus qualifies as a network that works "properly". I usually get very little 2G signal strength indoors on the rim of the CBD while my friend who has the same model of phone on Telstra gets full 3G. I never got 3G coverage in my unit which was in the middle of Newtown, Sydney.

Based on the reports, the iPhone 4 doesn't bode well for using Optus without a case, particularly if you're left phone-handed.

The number one thing that occurs to me about the iPhone 4's design is: WHY O WHY are the antenna outlets on the bottom anyway? I mean isn't it obvioius to have them on the top-side (like older phones always had) where people are unlikely to ever hold them?

Apple is obviously capable of great geneius in industrial design but at the same time seems to be equally capable of massive stupidity!

Japester
15th July 2010, 04:45 PM

The number one thing that occurs to me about the iPhone 4's design is: WHY O WHY are the antenna outlets on the bottom anyway? I mean wouldn't it be obvioius to have them on the top-side where people are unlikely to ever hold them?

...!

It's a requirement to put the antenna at the bottom to keep it as far away from the head as possible. This reduces the risk of frying your brain. No choice in the matter.

Bradster
15th July 2010, 04:47 PM
#+=

Domenic
15th July 2010, 05:08 PM
Not sure if Optus qualifies as a network that works "properly". I usually get very little 2G signal strength indoors on the rim of the CBD while my friend who has the same model of phone on Telstra gets full 3G. I never got 3G coverage in my unit which was in the middle of Newtown, Sydney.

Based on the reports, the iPhone 4 doesn't bode well for using Optus without a case, particularly if you're left phone-handed.

By "proper networks" of course I meant Telstra :D Especially as the prices for Telstra Prepaid are now quite competitive there's little reason not to spend a little extra for a network that just works. And I'm still pretty sure Optus is much better than AT&T anyway, regardless of how bad they are sometimes.

dotnet
15th July 2010, 05:13 PM
...Unless you hold your iPhone the way some Rappers hold their microphones...

;-)

Or their hand guns ;)

Cheers
Steffen.

iZuloo
15th July 2010, 05:15 PM
or their balls ... lol oops.

feeze
15th July 2010, 05:16 PM
Apple wont recall it.

Steve Jobs will come out. He'll start off talking about the iPhone 4 launch and how it is one of the most successful product launches in the companies history. He'll talk about how it's there best phone yet and throw a Walt Mossberg quote up. If he's cheeky enough he'll even put the consumer reports own quote up about how it's the best smartphone.

He'll then show the number of units sold and probably do a graph comparing it to the other launches.

He'll then bring up stats showing the number of returned iPHone 4s and show a percentage (and maybe a piechart just to rub the point in) saying something like "This tells us that people jut absolutely love their iPhones. The problem can't be that bad"

Scott Forstall will then take over and talk about the iPhone 4s antenna design. He'll pull out Apple's own data regarding the increase in signal performance (remember Apple had to collect all this data months ago for submittal to the FCC). He'll make a comparison between the iPhone 4 and 3GS and maybe other phones too (Nokia, Blackberry, Nexus One)

He'll then go into a speech about what attenuation is and that all phones experience attenuation. Once again he'll pull out Apple's data and make comparisons against other phones. He will also mention how the current signal bars have been giving an illusion of strong signal.

He will also explain how quality of phone calls and drop outs can occur to a multitude of things besides signal strength.

Steve will take the stage and once again emphasise that it not a widespread problem and that there will be no recall. Here I can't predict. Either they'll offer free bumpers or they'll add some coating and offer a free swap for those who want it.

It will be interesting to see how the media all react to it though. I reckon the data numbers will put egg on all the bloggers faces and Apple will seem like they are fixing the issue without ever actually admitting they were wrong.

brian_g
15th July 2010, 05:17 PM
It's a requirement to put the antenna at the bottom to keep it as far away from the head as possible. This reduces the risk of frying your brain. No choice in the matter.

yeah - FCC mandate this in US

iZuloo
15th July 2010, 05:22 PM
Apple could release an iphone that gives you 3rd degree burns every time you hold it to your ear and it would still be 10x better than most the other clunky pieces of plastic out there. I just hope that there isn't a delay, or at least not much of one! Bits of glass keep coming out my current iphone so i fear its got not long left, protectors wont stick to it. i'd HATE to have to go with something else, i'd regret it every day! lol might have to search around for an oldie, think i've passed them all on though!

Hopefully the press conference is "gizmodo stop starting shit, consumer report, we're awesome, here have a bumper if your so worried. the end. love steve."

Mac Monk
15th July 2010, 05:30 PM
i'll be switching to something else if iphone 4 is pushed back, cant afford to buy a cheapy in the mean time until apple get their act together, so will probably end up on a plan with an android device. apple need to sort themselves out.

If you can't wait a few more weeks for the best smartphone on the planet, then you'll end up having some poor lame arse phone for two years. Patience is a virtue.

Now Asher Moses is talking in his sleep again:-

Battered Apple stops dodging iPhone 4 issues (http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/iphone/battered-apple-stops-dodging-iphone-4-issues-20100715-10c5e.html?autostart=1)

The bit that comes from his underhand rolls off almost unnoticed:-

Apple often refuses to acknowledge failings in its products and the iPhone 4 is no exception.

What is the last failing that he is referring to? The best rated smartphone for the last 3 years since entering the market, near domination of the smartphone worldwide, or eclipse of all previous e-reader sales before the release of their own purely on pre-sales, or....

ipwn
15th July 2010, 05:43 PM
I trust that apple have done some testing, although slow at a response will have done the right thing and have some research and a solution to the problem, If not i will be one unhappy fanboy....

Phunky
15th July 2010, 06:03 PM
What is the last failing that he is referring to?

iMac yellow tinge and iPad wifi dropping would be two that spring to mind
Oh also the sata 2 issue with the MacBook pros, though they did fix that in the end after a lot of pressure

drewbles
15th July 2010, 06:09 PM
Didn't Apple just issue a recall for TimeCapsules?

Cheers
Steffen.

Nup. They offered a repair or replace option for anyone out of warranty that are experiencing problems.

Saves the use of the word 'recall'.

lavo
15th July 2010, 06:10 PM
NO IT'S NOT! It's a multi multi multi million dollar business. There's a lot on the line with the competition stepping up to try and take some market share back off Apple.

Apple have just lost 11Billion off their company value in the last week

I thinks that's a tad deluded. It's real. It hasn't been invented. The Apple share price has dropped. It's at the point where Apple have taken an unprecedented step of calling a press conference. They've stuffed up and they need to rectify it.

Thank you :thumbup: That's the reason why, imho, Apple are holding a press conference to stop the damage on the stock market. As others have said, Apple have had numerous dodgy products (G3 iBooks spring to mind....), but have never received the bad publicity the iPhone 4 has had in the press over the antenna. Consumers bitch and moan all the time, but shareholders are silent and swift in their punishment ;)

bacco007
15th July 2010, 06:10 PM
It's a press conference about the iPhone not the iPad. I highly doubt it will include any other products.

I wonder if Apple will 'news sandwich' the press conference

Brown Legacy Fades Along With U.K. Election Prospects (Update1) - Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aNGVoeniv9HU&refer=home)

One staffer says a colleague developed a technique called a “news sandwich” -- first telling the prime minister about a recent piece of good coverage before delivering bad news, and then moving quickly to tell him about something good coming soon.

bennyling
15th July 2010, 06:39 PM
If Jobs fails to announce an acceptable solution, we can tell him he's holding the press conference the wrong way.

Posts of the thread.

That is all, continue on with your unfounded guesswork, sheer speculation, and rampant crystal-ball predictions.

Vzzzbx
15th July 2010, 06:58 PM
Can we? I think Jobso will turn into Optimus Prime and EAT SOME BABIES.

Ecto1
15th July 2010, 07:02 PM
I think this press conference will be one of three.

1. Antenna issues

2. AT&T loosing exclusive rights

3. Verizon iPhone

Vzzzbx
15th July 2010, 07:05 PM
4. EAT SOME BABIES

imacattack
15th July 2010, 07:40 PM
A massive recall of all Apple iPhone4 to fix the antenna issue. :)

tange
15th July 2010, 07:55 PM
I doubt we'd ever see any other phone company holding a press conference over an issue with their device, good on em I say.
The fact is, there were so many sold in so little time that of course any problem was going to be amplified. I'm sure if you looked at any other phone company they've all had a problem with their smart phones - but their products aren't as hyped and probably took a lot longer sell 1.7mill. Say if 500,000 people had probs with their phones that sold over a 6 month to one year period you'd never know, they just got back to their place of purchase and complain. Do it in 2 days and everyone knows.

I don't really care about the problem - alleged or not. I'm still getting one.

Rant
15th July 2010, 08:04 PM
iOS 4.1 testers report no improvement in dropped calls despite inclusion of the Bars (and other) fixes.

Whatever it is, it will be a real test of Jobs' reality distortion field.

This is going to be really interesting. I feel like getting some popcorn and watching a live stream. Anyone streaming from their MacBook (as one podcaster did recently) will likely be quietly given a taste of Apple 'hospitality'.

Bradster
15th July 2010, 08:13 PM
#+=

forno
15th July 2010, 09:29 PM
This whole thing demonstrates one thing to me.

People can't read!.

So much distortion of the facts, because people can't read a whole review or more than the last post of a thread.

The signal bar update was never meant to or supposed to fix dropped calls, simply to report the signal more accurately.

This fix is a response to some supposed dropped calls which people are reporting if you hold your phone in a certain way.

Apple are saying that the dropped calls are simply the fact that holding any mobile phone will result in some attenuation and possibly a dropped call, but because the signal strength indicator is flawed it appears that there is full signal and thus holding the phone in a certain way appears to completely bridge the antenna.

Anyway Im not really sure why I bothered typing that, trolls will be trolls, and will surely have issue with whatever apple announces tomorrow..................................and then buy an iPhone4

Cialis
15th July 2010, 09:42 PM
What Steve Jobs will say (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/07/15/what-steve-jobs-will-say-on-friday/)

adamd
15th July 2010, 09:47 PM

I'll get my coat.

You sir, post of the day.

amstrad_mac
15th July 2010, 10:59 PM
very interesting this.. apparently the update for the iPhone4 is being released before the conference and early reports say it does nothing to improve the signal.. (mentioned in macrumors)

If the conference turn out to be some recall because of the antennae issue then i gotta give apple the thumbs up for actually admitting and doing something about it before the rest of the world get's their iPhone4.. Still predicting an mid-late Aug release here.

imacattack
15th July 2010, 11:09 PM
very interesting this.. apparently the update for the iPhone4 is being released before the conference and early reports say it does nothing to improve the signal.. (mentioned in macrumors)

If the conference turn out to be some recall because of the antennae issue then i gotta give apple the thumbs up for actually admitting and doing something about it before the rest of the world get's their iPhone4.. Still predicting an mid-late Aug release here.

Totally agree I would hate to think when we get the iPhone4 and we Australian's also start complaining about the death grip / Antenna Reception issue as well.

SRG
15th July 2010, 11:15 PM
I with no basis suspect the Verizon announcement.

Why because in the scheme the fault and there is one for US users is kinda minor. Like my poor iPad that has the wifi issue a. Inor percentage of the total.

The announcement of the new carrier will serve to get the focus of this issue and put pressure on AT&T to fix the really weak signal areas.

Sadly I just wish they would fix my iPad wifi with a update already!

Phunky
15th July 2010, 11:25 PM
UEAGos68cBg

NeoRicen
16th July 2010, 02:13 AM
Recall, returns, whatever, I don't care. I just want any iPhone 4s to be built from now on to not have the issue.

everunman
16th July 2010, 06:53 AM
Now American Senators want a please explain

Senator Chuck Schumer writes open letter to Steve Jobs, world is officially doomed -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/15/senator-chuck-schumer-writes-open-letter-to-steve-jobs-world-is/)

forno
16th July 2010, 07:42 AM
[B]very interesting this.. apparently the update for the iPhone4 is being released before the conference and early reports say it does nothing to improve the signal..

It was never meant to give you better signal!, simply report it more accurately

forno
16th July 2010, 07:45 AM
Now American Senators want a please explain

Senator Chuck Schumer writes open letter to Steve Jobs, world is officially doomed -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/15/senator-chuck-schumer-writes-open-letter-to-steve-jobs-world-is/)

I would hate to be Steve Jobs, every fwit in the world tries in some way to get a free ride from apple pr, from bloggers that dont know jack, to second rate jouro's & now a senator! FFS get your own road to the media!

jaselynch
16th July 2010, 07:49 AM
Sadly I just wish they would fix my iPad wifi with a update already!

They just did!

nando
16th July 2010, 08:33 AM
I would hate to be Steve Jobs, every fwit in the world tries in some way to get a free ride from apple pr, from bloggers that dont know jack, to second rate jouro's & now a senator! FFS get your own road to the media!

well if Steve Jobs played nice then yes..
the biggest irony is that apple started like to cool company...(look their famous 1984 add) now mr Jobs is the guy in the screen!...
the question is...who is the person that throws the hummer???

forno
16th July 2010, 08:36 AM
the biggest irony is that apple started like to cool company...(look their famous 1984 add) now mr Jobs is the guy in the screen!...

Whats your point?

decryption
16th July 2010, 08:37 AM
Steve Jobs, two fingers and a fuck you. That's all that will happen here.
And after it we will all be saying "beat me harder daddy" :)

As if there's going to be a recall, or any sort of apology beyond "we're sorry people don't like it as much as we do". They're gonna say that the iPhone4 rocks, bring out proof that the iPhone4's antenna is awesome and extend the return program for those who don't like their iPhones.

feeze
16th July 2010, 11:01 AM

Ummm, Superman?

Hummers are pretty fucking heavy.

lavo
16th July 2010, 11:09 AM
Ummm, Superman?

Hummers are pretty fucking heavy.

Or the Hulk. :laughing:

ThexMac
16th July 2010, 11:45 AM
That leads to the dark side...

Steve!
Mind what you have learned, save you it can!

db9
16th July 2010, 12:38 PM
hey guys, im keen to watch this press conference live, anyone got a live stream link? :D

drewbles
16th July 2010, 02:05 PM
hey guys, im keen to watch this press conference live, anyone got a live stream link? :D

There won't be a real live-stream, but many sites are doing live blogs and live chats (presumably with people invited in there reporting what's going on).

Apple have not live broadcast anything for a very long time now (instead choosing to publish it 4-24 hours after, but that's never been done for a 'press conference' iirc).

db9
16th July 2010, 02:40 PM
Yeah, i might just need to look at a blog site then. I thought there may be 3rd party streams of the conference as for the WWDC and keynotes etc.

iryan
16th July 2010, 03:03 PM
Apparently an 'insider' has just told The NY Times that the antenna issue IS actually a software issue (iPhone 4 Signal Issue Can Be Fixed With a Software Update? - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/15/iphone-4-signal-issue-can-be-fixed-with-a-software-update/)):

"One person with direct knowledge of the phone's design said Thursday that the iPhone 4 exposed a longstanding weakness in the basic communications software inside Apple's phones and that the reception problems were not caused by an isolated hardware flaw.

Instead, the problems emerged in the complex interaction between specialized communications software and the antenna, said the person, who agreed to speak on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter."

Of course, it may not be true; but we can hope it is.

crayonsresturant
16th July 2010, 03:21 PM
could it be the announcement of other carriers in the US?