PDA

View Full Version : Networking Osx To Xp Over Firewire

forgie
21st September 2005, 07:40 PM
Hi all,
I just bought my first mac (haven't really been a mac user since bout 10 years ago), an iBook 12" G4. Anyway, I've gotten networking happening with my P4 desktop PC (running XP), via wireless. All good, my iBook now mounts as a network drive in XP. There's another computer on the wireless that's 802.11b..... so it's running even slower then it would normally be. Copying a 500MB file doesn't seem like a very attractive proposition over wireless (XP told me there was an expected copy time of around 2 hours).

The question of the day is: has anyone got IP over Firewire to work between XP and OSX? I think the OSX is all setup right, but XP won't assign an IP address properly.... it's like the IP protocol isn't installed properly. I have my iBook set to 192.168.10.1, and the PC to 192.168.10.2. On the PC, if I go to Status->Support for the Firewire connection, there is no IP address assigned. If I click Repair, it says
"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed:
TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed.

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."

:lol: Well I've tried contacting myself, but it hasn't seemed to fix the problem as of yet B)

Has anyone got firewire networking on XP working? Any ideas?

purana
21st September 2005, 08:06 PM
If you go into control panel, then network connections. basically you want to do a properties on the firewire network device on windows. Once you do so, do you see TCP/IP protocol assigned to this device. If not, add it.

Sounds to me TCP/IP is not assigned to the firewire network device.

Meanwhile, why didn't you use ethernet instead? Would of been alot easier then firewire.

forgie
21st September 2005, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I'm using ethernet to do it, I just couldn't find a cat5 cable 30 minutes ago, and had a firewire cable on my desk. IP is definitely installed on my firewire connection... I was able to set the IP address (it would never actually assign it properly though). I googled a mass of information on SP2 and firewire, and many people said the SP2 killed IP over firewire, which would explain my problem. I like to conquer technical challenges, but I'm going to concede this one to Microsoft. They made firewire suck in SP2. They win.

Now back to OSX for some 'getting to know you' kind of fun B)