PDA

View Full Version : What's the story with pre-orders for iPhones?

the_doctor
14th July 2010, 12:10 AM
I know there has not been any information released regarding the iPhone 4 but do you think you will you be able to pre-order iPhone 4 outright and have it delivered the day of the launch like they did with the iPad? Or will you only be able to pre-order and then have to line up in the pre-order line at the Apple Store?

(I'm only talking about the Apple Store and not any of the Telcos.)

yagankiely
14th July 2010, 12:44 AM
Austria just got pre-orders.

Apparently.

NathR32
14th July 2010, 12:53 AM

Apparently.

Their Apple Store still only has the Notify Me page, no pre-orders yet. Apple - iPhone - Aktuelle Infos zum iPhone (http://www.apple.com/at/iphone/notify-me/)

Not sure about their carriers.

VOOK
14th July 2010, 12:56 AM

Apparently.

Typo right?

:(

drzeus
14th July 2010, 07:21 AM
I was planning for a pre-order but there is an AVALANCHE of bad publicity in the news (check out macrumors) about the antenna design so I was contemplating waiting a month. Knowing how stubborn El Jobs can be, even if they did find a hardware fault I doubt he would swallow his pride and issue a recall....more likely they would correct the problem on the assembly line quietly and the early adopters would be stuck with the defective ones...

scar68
14th July 2010, 09:06 AM
I am going to pre-order one outright form Apple as soon as I can.

As drzeus has noted hard to know what the response will be. They need to stem the hype re antenna issues, if nothing else.

My question is does anyone know 100% if using an Apple Bumper case/guard has eliminated the issue?

I had always intended to use one to provide some level of protection.

TheKeddi
14th July 2010, 09:44 AM
The problem is all blown out of proportion, just like the Americans blow everything out of proportion! The bumper does fix the bars but if you have a good reception to start with your not going to get no service or anything.

It's all a load of twaddle, yes it exists but it doesn't ruin the phone!

I for one will be waiting for the white one to come out, that thing looks better every time I look at it!!!

susiegb
14th July 2010, 10:05 AM
The problem is all blown out of proportion, just like the Americans blow everything out of proportion! The bumper does fix the bars but if you have a good reception to start with your not going to get no service or anything.

It's all a load of twaddle, yes it exists but it doesn't ruin the phone!

I for one will be waiting for the white one to come out, that thing looks better every time I look at it!!!

Funny, I think when the first/last iPhone(s) came out, everyone wanted the black one. But now that the white phone is hard to get, it seems to be more desirable! I can't decide which colour I want ... :)

the_doctor
14th July 2010, 10:28 AM
Seems that this thread has been derailed and my initial question has not been answered.

Do you think or know if we will be able to pre-order through the online Apple store and have them delivered on Launch day like the iPad was? Or do pre-orders through the online Apple store only entitle you to the pre-order line at an official Apple store?

bennyling
14th July 2010, 10:44 AM
My question is does anyone know 100% if using an Apple Bumper case/guard has eliminated the issue?

Yes - by preventing your signal-attenuating lumps of water attached to the end of your arms touching the antenna, you're eliminating the issue entirely.

Great news if you were planning to get a bumper in the first place - not-so-great news if you think your Apple products should be used without a case.

drewbles
14th July 2010, 11:29 AM
Seems that this thread has been derailed and my initial question has not been answered.

Do you think or know if we will be able to pre-order through the online Apple store and have them delivered on Launch day like the iPad was? Or do pre-orders through the online Apple store only entitle you to the pre-order line at an official Apple store?

Answer: only Apple knows.

We really have no idea. Anyone that says they do is taking a punt :)

Apple have never done outright pre-orders here, but they may for this. I doubt it though if supply is that constrained.

We'll know, when we know:)

the_doctor
14th July 2010, 02:31 PM
Answer: only Apple knows.

We really have no idea. Anyone that says they do is taking a punt :)

Apple have never done outright pre-orders here, but they may for this. I doubt it though if supply is that constrained.

We'll know, when we know:)

Cheers. I couldn't remember what the situation was for the 3GS. I recall rocking up to the Apple store a few days after the launch and buying outright. This time I wouldn't mind if they were accepting pre-orders so I can avoid any lines on launch day.

Does anybody know if they were accepting pre-orders in the UK and then delivering them on launch day?

Aladdin
14th July 2010, 02:53 PM
iPad in Australia had pre-orders 2 weeks before the official launch date.

Assuming the same rule applies for the iPhone 4, then pre-orders will have to start this Friday for Apple to launch the iPhone 4 on Friday 30 July (to fulfil the 'available in July' statement in the keynote).

Chief911
14th July 2010, 03:01 PM
I have been less likely to get an iphone4 after the hype around signal issues, that all ended when i saw a guy on the tram in melbourne with one a few hours ago! fuck me there beautiful...!

the_doctor
14th July 2010, 06:50 PM
I wasn't going to pre-order after the iPad late delivery fiasco but after playing with one of these at the Apple Store in Paris I simply must have it. They are really beautiful. Hopefully they are available as a pre-order/home delivery as I do not want to have to wait in line to get one.

Bradster
14th July 2010, 07:10 PM
#+=

Bradster
14th July 2010, 07:11 PM
#+=