PDA

View Full Version : Office 2004 For Mac Serive Pack 2

harps
21st September 2005, 01:20 PM
This morning my wife downloaded the above mentioned service pack update. Since downloading our iMac has had a heart attack with neither Entourage or Excel working, and both Word & PowerPoint now very unreliable.
How the hell can we delete this service pack update and revert to the version of Office 2004 which we where using prior to this update, and also not loose any data?

Byrd
21st September 2005, 01:49 PM
Pretty sure you can't go back to where you were before, as the Office updater overwrites main files.

If you put your Office:mac CD in, run the installer and there is a utility to remove Office safely. I'd doubt that you have documents installed in your Office folder, but best check before doing all this. Office documents by default are saved to your Home>Documents directory, and the Office installer does not tamper with this folder at all.

Shame you had a problem, did the same update recently here and it all went smoothly.

JB

harps
21st September 2005, 01:57 PM
Byrd,
I'm sure all our Word & Excel files will be OK.
What about all the Entourage data (address book, calender data, e-mails), where is this saved and would this be lost if we where to remove Office before reinstalling?

pipsqeek
22nd September 2005, 02:44 PM
Microsoft is an evil company that wants to make you suffer, even long after you have "switched".

"You'll never escape me.... peasants" - B. Gates :P

pipsqeek :thumbup:

Byrd
22nd September 2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by harps@Sep 21 2005, 01:57 PM
What about all the Entourage data (address book, calender data, e-mails), where is this saved and would this be lost if we where to remove Office before reinstalling?
This is a link (http://www.sfsu.edu/~helpdesk/backup/macemail.htm) which explains the location of default Entourage data locations. You'd be best to backup your whole Home-->Documents folder before reinstalling.

JB

Wheels
22nd September 2005, 07:23 PM
Where do you download the service pack from anyway?

emacmark
22nd September 2005, 07:28 PM
Wheels,
Do you have office? If so, just open word go to the drop down menu for Help and select check for updates. I'm sure there is a URL, but that is all I do.
Mark

edit heres the URL http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.asp...lgnosysreq=True (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/office2004/Office2004_11_2.xml&secid=4&ssid=27&flgnosysreq=True)

Wheels
22nd September 2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks a lot emacmark! Found it!

DJY
22nd September 2005, 08:48 PM
I use the Autoupdate feature which is found in your Office folder.
Easy!

Wheels
22nd September 2005, 08:53 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread but is harps the only person to experience problems after installing the service pack?

emacmark
22nd September 2005, 09:02 PM
I have it on my emac 10.4.1 and ibook 10.4.2 with no problems at all. But I dont use Entourage.
Mark

The Architect.mac
22nd September 2005, 09:04 PM
Sorry Office Pro 2004 SP2 - glitchless update

Don't have the old Test drive folder hanging around by chance???

Repair disk permissions
restart - don't open any apps
run office updater again
open Word 2004 - let it do the identity upgrade - quit word
open Entourage 2004 - allow keychain access to upgraded app - quit entourage
restart
repair disk permissions
chuck another restart in there (unix overlords - this is M$ product - loves the restart!!)

worth a try - can't get worse?!?
:)

RobD
24th September 2005, 11:41 AM
I also use Office 2004 (education edn) and got the invitation to download the update this morning. But after reading Harps horror story, I cancelled while I sought further info. Has anybody else downloaded the upgrade without having any problems?

Rob

warren21
24th September 2005, 11:48 AM
I have an iMac G5 and no problems with my update.

DJY
24th September 2005, 12:52 PM
No problems here on my PB.
I have only used Powerpoint, Word and Excel though.
I don't use Entourage... I'm a true new Mac snob... I use iCal and Address Book.

I even forgot to repair permissions before and after?!??! :o

Maticks
24th September 2005, 02:56 PM
does spotlight search now work for entourage ?
it says in the service pack update that it now works with spotlight but microsofts definition of the word is like when they released xp.
Its stable, bugfix 1,3,10 in a weeks time :)