PDA

View Full Version : Mousecontrol going crazy

12th July 2010, 06:37 PM
Hi, I'm having some serious trouble with my mouse pad for a while now. I tried apple discussions first, but since no one knew the answer, I'm gonna try it here again :)

Apple - Support - Discussions - Mousepad going wild ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2440617&start=0&tstart=0)

Basically, my mouse control suddenly decides it wants to annoy the **** out of me and live it's own life. This includes:
-clicking right and left without me even touching anything
-jumping left or right
-scrolling with 2 fingers is disabled (bar on the right or external mouse still work)
-moving my mouse pointer with my touch pad doesn't go fluently.

These are the most common 'symptoms', but sometimes my mousepad also locks and my keyboard becomes close to unresponsive (I have to hit the keys really hard to type). These last symptoms don't occur too much and they disappear after rebooting my computer.The most common ones, on the other hand just come and go as they pleas. I does help to reboot or go in and out of standby. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

The problems started months ago, like February or so. In the beginning they were occurring from time to time, but then it got worse and my computer was impossible to work with longer then 3 min. No need to say I didn't pay 2000 euro for a piece of ****.

I tried finding help on Apple discussions, which didn't help. Then I went to an Apple store, where they couldn't help me (I also had my battery checked, no problems there). I also tried Archive& Install: during the installation, no problems occurred. Right after my mouse control went crazy again and then I suddenly stopped for a month. Till last week.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with empty/full battery, connected to power, temperature outside, carrying it around, doing heavy stuff (like editing) etc. I also never dropped it or bumped in to something.

My guarantee has expired (bought it somewhere in November 2008), so all I can hope for is a solution of you guys or a new mac from apple. Cause I am totally sick of this mess.

I had to go in and out of standby about 11 times to write this message (and it has been a lot worse before).

Thanks anyway,
Kristof

ClockWork
12th July 2010, 06:44 PM
Connect a cheap Mouse?

A simple Logitech Mouse perhaps and see if it reacts in the same way.

http://www.vstech.com.au/images/logitech_opticalbk.jpg

and make it cheaper again by purchasing a straight forward USB Mouse.

12th July 2010, 07:14 PM
I have an external mouse, but it doesn't matter whether if I connect it or not. My mouse control keep controlling my pointer, so it's just really hard to do anything, as it will jump and click right and left.

12th July 2010, 07:39 PM
Recorded and uploaded an example:

YouTube - mousepad2.mov (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNTxYQjklW8)

ClockWork
12th July 2010, 07:48 PM
But does the cursor jump if you use the mouse only?

Have you tried Switching User Accounts (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/67836-basic-fully-visual-tutorials-switch-user-account.html)?

MacTime
12th July 2010, 07:58 PM
My unibody MacBook Pro's track pad plays up when I use my wife's old white MacBooks power supply. For ages I couldn't work out why my track pad was so erratic only when I was at home, not in the office. I eventually worked out that the old macbook power supply is not enough for the newer Macbook Pro. Now I bring my power supply home at the end of the day and it works fine.

Are you using your own power supply?

12th July 2010, 08:10 PM
@Clockwork: yes, it jumps anyway. I haven't tried switching user accounts, but I sure will.

@MacTime: also yes.

Brains
12th July 2010, 09:16 PM
Is there a cellular phone, cordless phone handset or wireless access point within one metre of the machine? Do you live within 5 km of an airport or hospital?

The technology behind trackpads relies on radio frequency energy -- in essence, a trackpad uses your body as an antenna to tap into the abundance of RF in the environment and uses this energy to determine where on the trackpad you are touching it. Try to use a trackpad in an extremely remote location that doesn't have the usual modern plethora of TV stations, radio stations, cel-phones and other transmitters around, and they flatly refuse to work.

13th July 2010, 12:05 AM
That's by far the coolest theory I ever heard :)
I live about 7-8km of the neariest city (not in the middle of nowhere, but close to it) and there is nothing in the area of which you name.
At home we use wireless internet, but in Brussels, where I study, we don't (too much students in our street).

So basicly the place where I study and where I live are pretty much opposites and it happens in both places.

ClockWork
13th July 2010, 06:33 AM
I assume you've downloaded the TrackPad Firmware Update (http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacBook__MacBook_Pro_Trackpad_Firmware_Update_1_0) and installed it?

Brains
14th July 2010, 01:39 PM
That's by far the coolest theory I ever heard :)

If you have a cellular or digital cordless phone, you can see this for yourself -- call that handset then wave it over your trackpad, you'll see the pointer go absolutely insane jumping all over the screen.