PDA

View Full Version : Opera...now Free

vargz
21st September 2005, 10:43 AM
The Opera browser no longer comes with the price tag or banner ads. About bloody time I'd say, who wants to pay for a browser?! :huh:

Opera tilts at Firefox (story @ NEWS.com.au) (http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,16673017%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html)

Opera.com (http://www.opera.com)

Flinders1231
21st September 2005, 11:29 AM
Following your "Heads Up" on Opera I have just downloaded - I like it on first impression - seems a bit faster than Firefox - also password manager seems a bit more flexible/functional than Firefox which in my case is a big plus. Well worth a download & further investigation

LCGuy
21st September 2005, 11:30 AM
Woah, so the 24 hour free serial number thing was just the beginning! :D I might have to put Opera on my iMac and see if its better than Firefox on it...i'm perfectly happy with FireFox on the PC :)

gelfie
21st September 2005, 11:42 AM
So, only a matter of time before they vanish entirely. Can't say I'm disappointed, especially after the whinge they had when Safari came out.

the_OM
21st September 2005, 11:45 AM
I think they are looking at the embedded market for their cashflow. So they are able to create some publicity by offering it for free and getting some words in the pree on it.

Never know, if its good enough, could be another firefox

tommelbourne
21st September 2005, 11:49 AM
Like Flinders, after your 'heads-up' i too have tried out Opera for the first time, and all i can say is YUCK! The user interface is very cluttered (having the 'tabs' appear above the URL bar is just not cool!) , which is a shame because some of the features in the program (like the 'New Page' button actually being on the main page) are very very useful.

froggy
21st September 2005, 11:51 AM
I'm really happy using Camino, but I'll give a go to (almost) anything that is free :D

froggy
21st September 2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by tommelbourne@Sep 21 2005, 11:49 AM
all i can say is YUCK! The user interface is very cluttered (having the 'tabs' appear above the URL bar is just not cool!) , which is a shame because some of the features in the program (like the 'New Page' button actually being on the main page) are very very useful.
I think that most of the UI is customisable, isn't it? If you like some of the features but dislike others, I'd persevere with it for a bit. See if you can do some customisation!

Flinders1231
21st September 2005, 12:06 PM
This link is very interesting http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html Upshot is Opera is arguably at least as good speedwise as anything else on MAC OS space & even better on Windows platform.

iMick
21st September 2005, 12:22 PM
I just downloaded the lastest Camino browser and it works better than firfox 1.0.6. It is the only browser for the mac so far that has been able to display my works sucky java based timesheet system.

step_andy
21st September 2005, 12:22 PM
How does Opera compare to Safari? I use Safari for 99% of the time with exception to some sites that insists on Explorer.
andy

Flinders1231
21st September 2005, 01:02 PM
How does Opera compare to Safari?

Thats a big question. On speed tests Safari holds its own - so no reason to switch on that score. I never quite liked Safari (switched from PC early this year) - maybe I got used to using Firefox in the PC world - in any case Opera impresses me so I will try it out for a while to see if its initial promise bears the test of time. Now Opera has made itself available on a more user friendly basis maybe the experts will do a serious review of the pros & cons.

Just in passing if you download Opera it brings with it the Netscape PDF plug in - if you are a user of Schubert PDF Browser & especially if you want to view all PDF files in a Browser to avoid opening another app - you need to trash the Netscape PDF plugin & use Opera preferences to select the Schubert PDF Browser.

Flinders1231
21st September 2005, 01:07 PM
The user interface is very cluttered (having the 'tabs' appear above the URL bar is just not cool!) ,
The interface is of course able to be customised - so you can unclutter as well as any other browser - but agree with you on Tabs - & as hard as I looked I could not find away of bringing tabs to above page - rather than above URL bar.

Squozen
21st September 2005, 01:22 PM
I'm not really interested in any browser that doesn't have open-source aspects and a focus on Mac integration, so I didn't even install Opera when I got the free code. I currently use Safari and Camino, which both do me just fine.

Flinders1231
21st September 2005, 02:25 PM
The user interface is very cluttered (having the 'tabs' appear above the URL bar is just not cool!)

This Opera Tutorial explains how to change tab positioning.

http://nontroppo.org/-/media/mainbar.htm

ETHERSPIN
21st September 2005, 11:14 PM
ive been using opera for about 7 years now and periodically trying to find an alternative/equal and it seems to me to be the browser equivalent of OS X , everything else is just trying to catch up and emulate its features.
download manager, irc, instant messaging , tabbed browsing, mouse gestures, and these are some of the features it has had for YEARS!